The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Greater London

Greater London on Wikipedia.


My knowledge of the divisions of London are very vague. If a church is wrongly listed here, please let me know!!
 

Churches in Acton, Aldgate East/Tower Hamlets, Balham, Bayswater, Beckenham, Beddington, Belgravia, Belmont (Sutton), Bermondsey, Belvedere, Bexley, Bexleyheath, Blackfriars, Blackheath, Bloomsbury and St. Giles, Bow, Brentford, Brixton, Brockley, Bromley, Brondesbury, Burnt Oak, Camberwell, Cambridge Heath, Camden Town, Charing Cross, Charlton, Chelsea, Chingford, Chiswick, City of London, City of Westminster, Clapham & Clapham Common, Clapton, Clerkenwell, Colliers Wood, Coulsdon, Covent Garden, Cranford, Crayford, Cricklewood, Crofton Park, Croydon, Crystal Palace, Dagenham, Dalston, Denmark Hill, Deptford, Dulwich, Ealing, Earl's Court, East Dulwich, East Finsbury, East Ham, Eltham, Erith, Finchley, Finsbury Park, Fitzrovia, Forest Hill, Friern Barnet, Fulham, Golders Green, Greenford, Greenwich, Gypsy Hill, Hackney, Hammersmith, Hampstead, Hampton Hill, Hanwell, Hanworth, Harefield, Haringey, Harlesden, Harmondsworth, Harrow and Harrow-on-the-HillHarrow Weald, Hatch End, Hayes, Hendon, Heston, Highbury, Highgate, Hillingdon, Holborn, Hornchurch, Hornsey, Hounslow, Hoxton, Ilford, Islington, Kennington, Kensal Green and Kensal Rise, Kensal Town, Kensington including South and West Kensington, Kentish Town, Kenton, Kew, Kilburn, Kingsbury, Kingston-upon-Thames, King's Cross, Ladywell, Lambeth, Lee, Lee Green, Lewisham, Leyton, Leytonstone, Limehouse, Little Stanmore, Manor Park, Marylebone, Mayfair, Merton, Mitcham, Muswell Hill, New Cross, North Finchley, Northwood, Notting Hill, Nunhead, Paddington, Peckham, Penge, Pentonville, Perivale, Pimlico, Pinner, Plaistow,  Plumstead, Poplar, Richmond, Romford, Rotherhithe, St. Giles, St. Mary Cray, St. Paul's Cray, Sanderstead, Savoy, Shepherd's Bush, Shoreditch, Sidcup, Silvertown, Soho, Somers Town, Southall, Southwark, Spitalfields, Stamford HillStanmore, Stepney, Stockwell, Stoke Newington, Stratford, Streatham, Streatham Hill, Sudbury, Surbiton, Sutton, Sydenham, Tooting, Totteridge, Turnham Green, Twickenham, Upper Norwood, Upton Park, Uxbridge, Wallington, Walthamstow, Wanstead, Waterloo, Wealdstone, Welling, Wembley, West Drayton, West Ealing, West Kensington. Westcombe Park, Westminster, Whitechapel, Willesden and Willesden Green, Wimbledon, Woodside Park, Woolwich, Worcester Park. Some links will open another page.


Acton
Holy Family (R.C.) on Vale Lane. © Christopher Skottowe (1968).

Aldgate East/Tower Hamlets
Jamia Masjid (Mosque) on Brick Lane. TQ 176 305. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain. Gervase N. E. Charmley advises that this was originally a Huguenot Church, and later served as a synagogue.

Balham
Kosciól Chrystusa Króla (Christ the King, Polish Catholic), on Balham High Road. Janet Gimber has advised that it was previously Congregational.  © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.
St. Mary and St. John the Divine (1808), on Balham High Road. TQ 283 731. © Steve Bulman. Another view. © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.

Bayswater
The Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Divine Wisdom, Hagia Sophia. Two interior views - 1, 2. All © Mike Forbester. Link.

Beckenham
Avenue Baptist Church on Avenue Road.
© Janet Gimber (2016).
St. Barnabas. Link is to a photo on the church website
St. George. 177 TQ 374 696. From an old postcard (franked 1905), Dave Westrap's Collection. Link1. Link2.

Beddington
St. Mary the Virgin. TQ 295 652. From an old postcard in Geoff Watt's Collection. A modern view, ©
Chris Kippin (2018). Link.

Belgravia
St. Michael on Chester Square. Another view. Link. St. Peter. Link. All © Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Belmont (Sutton)
St. John the Evangelist (CoE and Methodist) on Avenue Road, consecrated in 1966. © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.

Bermondsey

Belvedere
All Saints on Nuxley Road. The church opened in 1853, but wasn't finally completed until 1861. TQ 4925 7830. From an old postcard view in Reg Dosell's Collection. Link (history here). Grade II listed.

Bexley, Bexleyheath

Blackfriars
Christ Church on Blackfriars Road, consecrated in 1956. The Action Life Chapel International also worship here. © Gerard Doherty. Link.

Blackheath, Bloomsbury and St. Giles.

Bow
Our Lady and St. Catherine of Siena (R.C.). From an old postcard, Reg Dosell's collection. Link.

Brentford
Living Hope Church (Elim Pentecostal) on Junction Road. © Christopher Skottowe (2018). Living Hope Church (Elim Pentecostal) on Junction Road. © Christopher Skottowe (2018).
The former St. George, on Kew Bridge Road, which until recently housed a museum of musical instruments. Another view. Both © David Gallimore.
St. John the Evangelist on Boston Park Road. © Christopher Skottowe (1968).v

Brixton
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Coldharbour Lane. TQ 321 759. © Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009).
St. Matthew. From an old postcard (franked 1919), Bulman Collection. A modern view, and another. Both © Tim Tomlinson.
Truth Temple Outreach Ministries on Coldharbour Lane. TQ 321 759. © Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009).
Unitarian Chapel on Effra Road. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.

Brockley.

Bromley
St. Peter and St. Paul. From an old postcard (franked 1909), Bulman Collection. Link.
Holmcroft Hall (photographed in 1984). © Alan Taylor.

Brondesbury.

Burnt Oak
St. Alphage. © Bill McKenzie.

Camberwell.

Cambridge Heath
Salvation Army. © Rob Brettle.

Camden Town
Greek Orthodox Cathedral of All Saints on Camden Street. Interior view. Both © Mike Forbester. Link.

Charing Cross
Quaker Meeting House, on St. Martin's Lane. © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
The former Welsh Presbyterian Church. © Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Charlton
Our Lady of Grace (R.C., consecrated 1907) on Charlton Road. Another view. Both © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.
St. Luke with Holy Trinity, on The Village, is Grade II Listed. Another view. Both © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.
St. Thomas (1849-50) on Maryon Road. Another view. Both © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.
U.R.C. (originally Congregational, 1902) on Bramshot Avenue. Another view. Both © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.

Chelsea.

Chingford
St. Peter & St. Paul. Another view. Both from old postcards in Steve Bulman's Collection. All Saints (the Old Church), from an old postcard in Paul E. Barnett's Collection. Link (for both churches).

Chiswick
Our Lady of Grace (R.C., 1886) on Chiswick High Road. It stands on the site of an earlier church of 1864. Another view. TQ 208 785. Both © Martin Richter (2015). Link1. Link2. Grade II listed.

City of London

City of Westminster - see Westminster.

Clapham & Clapham Common.

Clapton
Ark of the Covenant. Unfortunately no photograph, but I had to include an entry because of this astonishing news story that was drawn to my attention by David Regan. Fortunately it includes an old illustration of the church.
Former Clapton Congress Hall (Salvation Army), now a college. From an old postcard, Rob Brettle's Collection. A modern photo, © Rob Brettle.
Madina Mosque Trust on Lea Bridge Road. TQ 349 862. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Clerkenwell
Free-Thinking Christians' Meeting House on St. John's Square. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
St. James (1792). Interior view. Both © John Balaam (2011). Three additional views - 1, 2, 3, all © Chris Stafford (2013). Link. Grade II* listed.

Colliers Wood
Christ Church (1874), on Christchurch Road. This old postcard, from Steve Bulman's Collection, was of long-standing in the "Unknown" section. A church with an unusual spire - and the sender has written this - "I daresay you recognize the old church, although they have omitted to print the name....". Although originally identified as St. Augustine in Dudley, it certainly wasn't that, since a photo has now been sent in, and it can be seen on the Dudley page. Thanks are due to Garry Barr for providing the final identification, and this confirmatory Link. A modern view of the church - though the trees are hiding it rather well. © Gerard Doherty (2011).

Coulsdon
St. John the Evangelist. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. Link.

Covent Garden
Corpus Christi (R.C.), Maiden Lane. © Bill Henderson. Link.
St. Paul. © Mark Summers. Another view, and the interior. Numerous plaques commemorate deceased actors. All © Peter Morgan (2016). Link.
The former West Street Chapel has a long and varied history. Built in 1700 for French Huguenots. In 1743, the Wesley brothers took it over as a Methodist Chapel, the first such in London. In 1799 it became Free Episcopal (i.e. CoE), and was then successively Irish Anglican, Evangelical Anglican, a Chapel-of-Ease to St. Giles, and is now in commercial use. © Gervase N. E. Charmley. Link.

Cranford
St. Dunstan. © Christopher Skottowe (1963). Link.

Crayford.

Cricklewood
Mosque and Islamic Centre of Brent on Chichele Road and Howard Road. TQ 237 856. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain. Janet Gimber has advised that this was Cricklewood Congregational Church (1885), closed in 1980. It had a mission church on the Edgeware Road, 1913-33.

Crofton Park
St. Hilda (1908) on Brockley Road. © Gerard Doherty (2010). Link1. Link2.

Croydon
Baptist Church on Brighton Road. Link.
© Peter Morgan (2015).
Paga Outreach Ministries on Brighton Road. © Peter Morgan (2015). Link.
St. Augustine on Churchill Road. © Peter Morgan (2015). Link. Grade II* listed.

Crystal Palace
Greek Orthodox Community of Saint Constantine and Saint Helen on Westow Street, Upper Norwood, was originally St. Andrew (Presbyterian). The present parish was founded in 1967, and as St. Andrew was consecrated before 1888. Another view. Both © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.
The now-demolished St. Aubyn (Congregational). From an old postcard (franked 1917), Steve Bulman's Collection.

Dagenham
St. Peter and St. Paul. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. Link1 which says the church was re-roofed in 1913. Was this when the spire was taken down too?. Link2.

Dalston
Turkish Mosque (aka Shacklewell Lane Mosque) on Shacklewell Lane. TQ 337 854. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Denmark Hill
St. Matthew. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.

Deptford.

Dulwich
Christ's Chapel, which serves Dulwich College. TQ 331 736. © Steve Bulman.

Ealing.

Earl's Court
St. Cuthbert (1884-7) on Philbeach Gardens. TQ 2505 7845. © Martin Richter (2018). Link1. Link2, a long Wikipedia article which includes many photographs. A Google Streetview. Grade I listed.

East Dulwich
Emmanuel Congregational Church (1891, preceded by a tin church 1877). From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.
St. John the Evangelist. © Christine Bannan. Link.

East Ham
Markaz ud Dawat wal Irshad Islamic Centre on Plashet Grove. © Mehmood Naqshbandi (1990), and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

East Finsbury
Wesley's Chapel, City Road. © Tim Tomlinson. Link.

Eltham
Christchurch (R.C.). Two further views - 1, 2. TQ 432 744. All © Dave Westrap. Link1. Link2.

Erith
Cemetery Chapel, Erith Cemetery. TQ 497 779.
© Dave Westrap. Link.

Finchley

Finsbury Park
North London Central Mosque on St. Thomas's Road. TQ 314 866. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.
Pentecostal Holiness Church and Bible College. © Alan Taylor.

Fitzrovia
All Saints on Margaret Street, a William Butterfield church. From an old postcard, Steve Bulman's Collection. Another view,
© Chris Kippin (2019). Link.
All Saints House on Margaret Street used to be a convent of the Sisters of the Poor.
The entrance sits in a corner of a narrow lane. Interior view. TQ 292 813. Both © Chris Kippin (2019). Link.
Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Temple on Margaret Street. TQ 292 813. © Chris Kippin (2019). Link.

Forest Hill, Friern Barnet.

Fulham
Munster Park Wesleyan Church. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection.
St. John at Walham Green. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. Link.

Golders Green

Greenford
Our Lady of the Visitation (R.C.) on Greenford Road, interior view. © Christopher Skottowe (1968).

Greenwich.

Gypsy Hill
Christ Church (1987) on Highland Road, built after a fire destroyed the old church (1862), of which only the tower survives, now converted to flats. Both © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.

Hackney
The tower is all that remains of St. Augustine. © Rob Brettle. Link.

Hammersmith
Holy Trinity (1852) on Brook Green. © Gerard Doherty (2013). Link.
St. Augustine (R.C.) on Fulham Palace Road. Another view. Both © Gerard Doherty (2013). Interior view, © John Balaam (2013). Link1. Link2.
St. Paul (1884) on Queen Caroline Street. © Gerard Doherty (2013). Another view, © John Balaam (2013). Link.

Hampstead.

Hampton Hill
St. James on St. James's Road. The original postcard needed to be heavily processed to produce a still poor image, but it does show the impressive spire. The postcard dates from about 1905. TQ 140 714. © Jackie Blackman. A useful history here. A 2018 Streetview. Grade II listing, which gives dates of 1864 for the commencement of building, and completion in 1888 when the tower was added.

Hanwell
Our Lady and St. Joseph (R.C.) on Uxbridge Road. © Christopher Skottowe (1968).

Hanworth
St. George. Link to external website.

Harefield
St. Mary on Church Hill. TQ 053 896. © Christopher Skottowe (1963). After WWI, a cemetery was laid out for Australians who had died in the war. A service is still held here annually on Anzac Day. An obelisk to commemorate the Australians was erected in 1921, with an archway to the cemetery following in 1924. Both of these have their own listing - the obelisk (grade II), and archway (also grade II). Another view, © Lesley Ratcliffe (2002). Link, and history. The obelisk and cemetery can be seen here. VCH entry. The brief grade I listing, which mentions fabric from the 12th century, but there was a church here (or, at least, a priest) at Domesday (1086).

Haringey
St. John the Baptist (Greek Orthodox) on Wightman Road and Lausanne Road. TQ 3118 8921. © Michael Bourne. Howard Richter has advised that this was the Anglican St. Peter, and shows as such on the 1980-1 1:2500 O.S. map. We learn from here (scroll to about 1/3 of the way down) that it was originally a tin tabernacle chapel of ease of 1884. This stood a few yards south at about TQ 3119 8917. The present building was built 1897-1905, and damaged during WWII. The congregation merged with that of Christ Church in Tottenham in 1977, and St. John was declared redundant in the following year. The Greek Orthodox Church took over in 1983, and the church has been extensively decorated, which (in part) is the reason for it's grade II* listing.

Harlesden.

Harmondsworth
St. Mary the Virgin. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. TQ 057 778. Link1. Link2. Grade II* listing, which says that in this impressive church there is fabric of the 12th, 13th and 14th centuries, with a tower and north chancel aisle of circa 1500.

Harrow and Harrow-on-the-Hill.

Harrow Weald
All Saints. TQ 153 918. © Les Needham (2015). Link. Grade II* listed.
St. Michael and All Angels. TQ 157 907. © Les Needham (2015). Link.
 

Hatch End.

Hayes
Hayes Methodist Church. TQ 098 798. © Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009). Link.
Immaculate Heart of Mary (R.C.). Another view. TQ 096 798. Both © Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009). Link.

Hendon.

Heston
St. Leonard (interior view only). Previously in the "Unknown" section, thanks to Janet Gimber for the identification. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.

Highbury, Highgate.

Hillingdon
St. John the Baptist on Royal Lane and Uxbridge Road. A modern view is available on Streetview. The oldest remaining fabric is the C13 chancel arch. The tower is of a re-build of 1629. TQ 069 829. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. Link1. Link2. The church has some fine monuments. Grade II* listed.
 

Holborn
Holborn Muslim Community Association on Brookes Court. TQ 311 817. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.
Kingsgate Baptist Church on Catton Street, now closed. Situated in a very narrow lane, this church is difficult to photograph. Another view. Both © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
St. Alban the Martyr on Brookes Street. Another view. TQ 312 818. Both © Mehmood Naqshbandi. Link.
St. Peter (R.C., opened 1863) on Clerkenwell Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. All © Chris Stafford (2013). Link.

Hornchurch
St. Andrew. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. Link.

Hornsey.

Hounslow
Hounslow Jamia Masjid and Islamic Centre on Wellington Road South (interior view). TQ 130 746. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Hoxton
Salvation Army. © Rob Brettle.

Ilford
Ilford Islamic Centre (aka
Islamic Society of Britain - Ilford Branch, Association of Ilford Muslims) on Albert Road. TQ 440 863. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Islington

Kennington
St. John the Divine on Vassal Road (1870-74). Unlike many other London churches damaged during WWII, this one was deemed worth restoring to its pre-war condition. It's by G. E. Street. TQ 316 771.
© Chris Kippin (2018). Link (with a useful history here). Grade I listed.

Kensal Green and Kensal Rise.

Kensal Town
Queen's Park U.R.C. on Harrow Road and Third Avenue was built in 1990 on the site of a previous chapel. The building had a relatively short active life, and closed in 2016 or 2017. TQ 244 824. © Gervase N. E. Charmley. Estate Agents sale notice from 2017.

Kensington including South and West Kensington.

Kentish Town
St. Silas the Martyr. © John Salmon.
Unitarian Church (interior view) on Clarence Road. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.

Kenton
Baptist Church. TQ 175 897. © Les Needham (2015). Link.
Methodist Church. TQ 173 887. © Michael Bourne.
The former St. John (Presbyterian) which closed in lat
e 2013. Now Haridham Hindu Temple. © Les Needham (2015).
St. Mary the Virgin. TQ 171 887. © Michael Bourne. A carved wooden screen, from an old postcard in Paul E. Barnett's Collection. Link.

Kew
St. Anne. From an old postcard (franked 1905), Bulman Collection. Link.

Kilburn.

Kingsbury
Holy Innocents. TQ 208 885. © Michael Bourne.
St. Andrew on Old Church Lane. © Francis P. Henry. Link1 (not working when I tried). Link2.

Kingston-upon-Thames.

King's Cross.

Ladywell
St. Mary the Virgin on Lewisham High Street - built 1774 and restored 1881. Another view. Link.
Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministry (non-denominational) on Ladywell Road, building built in 1891. Link. All © Gerard Doherty (2010).

Lambeth
St. Anne and All Saints. © Mike Rice.

Lee
St. Margaret on Lee Terrace, built 1839-41. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. Two modern views - 1, 2, both © Gerard Doherty (2010). This church is also listed under Lewisham, as Gerard advises that although the official website says it is in Lee, the postcode is for Lewisham. Link1. Link2.

Lee Green
Emmanuel Pentecostal Church on Lee High Road. © Gerard Doherty (2010).
Lee New Testament Church of God on Lee High Road. Janet Gimber has been looking at old maps, and determined that this building was built as Bible Christian, and was later United Methodist, then Lee Methodist Chapel. © Gerard Doherty (2010). Link.

Lewisham.

Leyton
Cornerstone Church (1998) on Canterbury Road stands on the site of St. Paul. In the 1990's, the parish had two churches, St. Catherine and St. Paul.
St. Catherine's Church was sold, and became Elim Church (for which, see Leytonstone, below). The combined congregation then met in St. Paul's, which was soon demolished, and the present church built on the site. There must be photos of the demolished St. Paul, but I've been unable to find one on the web. TQ 385 881. © Chris Kippin (2019). Link.
Jamia Masjid Ghosia
(aka Walthamstow Mosque, Waltham Forest Islamic Association) on Lea Bridge Road. Interior view. TQ 372 878. Both © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Leytonstone
Leytonstone Mosque (aka Leytonstone Islamic Association) on Dacre Road. TQ 396 874. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.
Elim Pentecostal Church, the former St. Catherine. TQ 387 877. © Peter Morgan (2016). Link.
United Free Church. Another view. TQ 388 875. Both © Peter Morgan (2016). Link.

Limehouse
Unitarian Church, Durning Hall, on Elsa Street. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.

Little Stanmore
St. Lawrence Whitchurch. Previously in the "Unknown" section, and identified by Janet Gimber, the postcard (Bulman Collection) caption simply says "Whitchurch". Link1. Link2.

Manor Park
Anjuman-e-Islamia Jamia Mosque, on High Street North.
TQ 423 845. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Marylebone, Mayfair.

Merton
St. John the Divine on High Path. The tower and the interior. TQ 258 698. Link. St. Mary on Church Path. Interior view. TQ 251 694. Link. All
© Chris Kippin (2018).

Mitcham
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on London Road. © Paul E. Barnett (2014).
St. Peter & St. Paul. From an old postcard (franked 1905) in Steve Bulman's Collection. Link.

Muswell Hill
U.R.C. TQ 283 896. © Michael Bourne.

New Cross
Hatcham Evangelical Church. © Alan Taylor.
House of Bread (Church of God of Prophecy) on Kitto Road. © Gerard Doherty (2010). Link.
St. Catherine on Pepys Road (1892-4). © Gerard Doherty (2010). Link.

North Finchley
St. Alban (R.C.). TQ 260 921. © Michael Bourne.

Northwood
Holy Trinity (1852-3). TQ 083 918. From an old postcard (franked 1909) in Steve Bulman's Collection. The church has a stained glass window by Edward Burne-Jones, installed in 1886 or 1887 (sources differ). Modern exterior and interior photos are available here. Grade II listing, which details the addition of the north aisle in the mid-1890's, and the addition of the south aisle, and lengthening of the nave, in 1927. 

Notting Hill
Project Gutenberg has "The Church Index:  Part 1", by the Rev. William Pepperell, 1872 edition. It includes many drawings of the churches of Kensington, South Kensington, Brompton and Notting Hill.
St. John the Evangelist. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. Link.
St. Peter, on Kensington Park Road. One of Judy Flynn's postcards, previously in the Unknown section, the caption reading St. Peters Church W. Identified by Simon Davies and Michael Day. Link. Grade II* listed.

Nunhead, Paddington, Peckham.

Penge
Congregational Church. From an old postcard (franked 1932) in Steve Bulman's Collection. Link.

Pentonville.

Perivale.
St. Mary.
Older maps show this as St. James, but the correct medieval dedication was re-discovered in 1951. It was declared redundant in 1972 and now serves as a music centre. TQ 164 828. © Christopher Skottowe (1964). Link1. This sub-page leads to a useful history, and many photos. Link2. Grade I listed. The lych-gate and a tomb have their own listings, and links to them can be found here.

Pimlico.
St. Barnabas. Another view. Both © Gervase N. E. Charmley. Link.
St. Gabriel (1852-3) on Warwick Square. TQ 290 783. ©
Chris Kippin (2019). Link.
St. Saviour on Lupus Street. TQ 95 782. ©
Chris Kippin (2018). Interior view, © Chris Kippin (2019). Link. Grade II listed.

Pinner.

Plaistow
St. Phillip & St. James. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.

Plumstead
St. Margaret. One of London's lost churches, having been demolished in 1974. From an old postcard (franked 1907) in Steve Bulman's Collection. As advised by Mike Berrell, this website confirms the identification. A mystery photo previously in the "Unknown" section came from Mark Wilson who discovered a photo album in a skip in Dagenham of a church interior, which has a seven-light East window with rose window above. The rather awkward transition from the rose to the junction of the 2nd and 3rd, and 5th and 6th lancets are unusual. The rest of the album can be viewed here, and includes photos including the iron-strapworked door, the only exterior views. Photos are on an external website. Solved by Graham Maxwell, and this link provides the proof.

Poplar
All Saints. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. Link.

Richmond
St. John the Divine. A postcard from Judy Flynn, previously in the Unknown section. Note the large triptych. Printed at lower right is Richmond S.W. Janet Gimber identified it as St. John the Divine, Richmond, Greater London, and provided this link for comparison (scroll down the page). Link.
St. Mary Magdalene. From an old print in Shirley Beaumont's Collection. A modern view. © Shirley Beaumont. Link.

Romford, Rotherhithe.

St. Giles - see Bloomsbury and St. Giles.

St. Mary Cray
Temple Church. Dating from 1851, and replacing an earlier church, this church too was demolished (in 1954), following damage in WWII. Yet another church was built on the site (which today is U.R.C.). From an old postcard, Geoff Watt's Collection. Link.

St. Paul's Cray
St. Paulinus (redundant).
From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.

Sanderstead
All Saints. From an old postcard, Geoff Watt's Collection.

Savoy
The Queen's Chapel of the Savoy. TQ 305 807. © Steve Bulman. Link.

Shepherd's Bush
St. Stephen. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.

Shoreditch
The former St. Luke on Old Street, a Nicholas Hawksmoor church, now used by the London Symphony Orchestra. Opened in 1733, and closed in 1964. Another view. Both © Peter Morgan (2016). Link.
The former St. Michael & All Angels, now used as a commercial building. © Mark Summers.

Sidcup.

Silvertown
St. Mark on North Woolwich Road. TQ 419 802. © Ted Bagot (who, as a resident of New Zealand, is unquestionably the most distant contributor to this project). This link supplies dates as follows - preceded by an 1857 "iron building", St. Mark was designed in 1862 by S. S. Teulon, was closed in 1974, and was derelict in the 1980's. More history here and here. It is now in use as Brick Lane Music Hall.

Soho.

Somers Town
St. Aloysius (R.C.), built 1966-8, stands on the corner of Eversholt Street. and Phoenix Road. © Peter Hobday.
St. Mary, built 1822-6 (or 1824-7, according to source consulted), on Eversholt Street. TQ 295 830. © Peter Hobday. Two additional views - 1, 2, both © John French. Link. Grade II listed.
St Pancras Old Church, Pancras Road. TQ 298 834. © Bill McKenzie. Three further views - 1, 2, 3 - all © Mehmood Naqshbandi. Two interior views - 1, 2 and the altar, all © John Balaam (2012). Link.

Southall
Central Jamia Masjid on Montague Waye. Interior view. TQ 122 791. Both © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Southwark.

Spitalfields
Christ Church. © Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

Stamford Hill
Described on this old postcard (Steve Bulman's Collection) only as "Gibbon Church", Janet Gimber has discovered that it was Stamford Hill Congregational Church, demolished in 1966 to make way for a library. The Gibbon reference is to Rev. James Morgan Gibbon.
Masjid E Quba (or North London Mosque Trust) on Cazenove Road. Interior view. TQ 340 869. Both © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Stanmore.

Stepney
St. Paul on Burdett Road. Destroyed in WWII, a modern church was built on the site in 1960. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection.

Stockwell
Khatemun-Nabeyeen Mosque (aka Khatme Nubuwwat Centre) on Stockwell Green. TQ 307 760. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Stoke Newington
Azizia Mosque on Stoke Newington Road. TQ 335 858. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. © George Weston.
One of Judy Flynn's postcards (previously in the Unknown section) - labelled as St. John the Evangelist and Queen's Road. From the publisher on the back (Hickox & Son, Finsbury Park (London)), Judy thinks that this is the demolished church of St. John which stood on Gloucester Drive and Queen's Drive, Stoke Newington, now replaced by a modern church, visible on Google Earth here. Certainly the boundary wall looks similar. Can you confirm Judy's suspicions? Brian Curtis suspects the identification is sound, and has supplied links to the following evidence - description (the central tower which it mentions must be hidden by the gable end), maps on http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html show that the situation of the church at the junction of the two roads is identical, and the information that the Queen's Road was changed to Queen's Drive after WWII. Janet Gimber concurs, and has drawn my attention to the Google Earth aerial view, and old maps, which leaves no doubt.

Stratford
St. John. From an old postcard (franked 1916), Bulman Collection. Another old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection.

Streatham
St. Alban on Pretoria Road. © Jennifer Murray. Link.
South London Islamic Centre on Mitcham Lane. © Mehmood Naqshbandi (1990), and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.
Streatham Methodist Church. © Ray Harrington-Vail.

Streatham Hill
St. Margaret on Cricklade Avenue. © Tim Lomas. Link.
St. Simon and St. Jude (R.C.) on Hillside Road. © Tim Lomas. Link.

Sudbury
St. Andrew. Interior view. The Old Church now serves as the Church Hall. Another view. TQ 163 858. All © John Salmon. More of his photos of this church are available on Geograph. Another view, © Francis P. Henry. Link.
St. George (R.C.) on Harrow Road. Interior view, a window, and statue of the saint. All © Francis P. Henry. Link.

Surbiton
St. Mark. From an old postcard (franked 1908), Bulman Collection. Link.

Sutton
All Saints at Benhilton. From an old postcard (franked 1916), in Steve Bulman's Collection. Link.
Christ Church, on Christchurch Park, consecrated 1887. © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.

Sydenham
St. Bartholomew on Westwood Hill, built 1827-1832, consecrated 1832, and re-dedicated in 1858. TQ 351 717. © Gerard Doherty (2011). A 2018 Streetview is available here. Link. Grade II* listed.
Former Swedenborgian Church (1883, now converted to flats) on Waldegrave Road. Another view. TQ 3404 7036. Both © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link. Streetview gives a useful alternative view. Grade II listing, which mentions that this is an early example of the use of concrete in a church building.

Tooting.

Totteridge
Union Church (U.R.C.). TQ 255 931. © Michael Bourne.

Turnham Green
Christ Church on Town Hall Avenue, a George Gilbert Scott church of 1841-3. TQ 205 784. © Martin Richter (2015). Link. Grade II listed.

Twickenham
St. Mary on Church Street. From an old engraving in the Colin Water's Collection. A modern view (with flood!). © Mike Rice. Interior view, © Christopher Skottowe (1966). Link.

Upper Norwood
See Crystal Palace.

Upton Park
Islamic Centre on Selwyn Road. TQ 405 837. © Mehmood Naqshbandi (1990), and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Uxbridge
St. Andrew on Hillingdon Road, a Sir George Gilbert Scott church of 1864-6. TQ 060 838. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. Compare with a modern Streetview here. The associated vicarage is also listed, as Grade II, and it, and the church, can be seen in a Streetview here. Link. Grade II listed.
St. Margaret on High Street. TQ 055 841. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view, © Paul E. Barnett (2014). Link1. Link2. Grade II* listing, which notes that this was a chapel of ease of St. John the Baptist at Hillingdon, until the early 19th century.

Wallington
Holy Trinity on Maldon Road. Another view. TQ 288 645. Both
© Chris Kippin (2018). Link.

Walthamstow
Greenleaf Road Baptist Church. © Christopher Skottowe (2017). Link.
Masjid-e-Umer Trust on Queens Road. © Mehmood Naqshbandi (1990), and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.
Ruach City Church on Greenleaf Road. © Christopher Skottowe (2017). Link.
St. Mary. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.
Unitarian Iron Church, Truro Road, © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.

Wanstead
Christ Church from an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.
Wanstead Parish Church is not identified by name on this old postcard (Bulman Collection), but it is almost certainly of St. Mary, the description of which in Betjeman is very close to the picture. (Thanks to Graeme Exall for confirming that this is indeed St. Mary, and for this Link.)

Waterloo
The former Christ Church on Waterloo Bridge Road, of which only the spire survives. A distant view (from the London Eye). TQ 311 793. © Steve Bulman. Another view, and the foundation stone for 1873, which also mentions that the church was successor to "Surrey Chapel". The church was bombed in WWII, and the top of the spire was damaged. The spire was restored, but the body of the church was demolished. An office block was built on the site - this contains a church known as Oasis Church (link). All
© Chris Kippin (2018). An old engraving of the church is available here.
St. Andrew stood on Short Street, and was built in the later 1950's as successor to St. Andrew, Lambeth. Declared redundant in 2003, it was demolished the following year, and the replacement building includes a church and community space. A short history is available here (.pdf), which includes a photo of the former church. TQ 314 799.
© Chris Kippin (2018).
St. John the Evangelist on Waterloo Road (1824, re-dedicated 1951). Another view. Both © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.
St. Patrick (R.C.) on Cornwall Road. The church is on the first floor. Another view. Both © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.

Wealdstone.

Welling
Welling Evangelical Free Church on Upper Wickham Lane and Balliol Road.
This shows on a map of 1909 as Primitive Methodist. It was relatively new at this time, as it doesn't show on the edition of the late 1890's. TQ 4670 7635. © Alan K. Taylor (1985). A more recent view is available on Google Streetview here (2018). Almost exactly opposite in a terrace, stands a Redeemed Christian Church of God (Streetview). Very close by is S and R Domestic Appliances (Streetview). This stands on the site of (and may include fabric of) Bethel Baptist Chapel, which shows on a map of 1864. This was Wesleyan Methodist by the time of the 1896 map.

Wembley.

West Drayton
St. Martin has fabric dating back to the 13th century. TQ 062 795. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. Link. A website with much on the monuments and brasses, and also with a photo of two Burne-Jones windows. Grade II* listed.

West Ealing
St. John, on Mattock Lane. © Christopher Skottowe (2019). Link.

Westcombe Park
St. George, on Kirkside Road. Another view. Both © Gerard Doherty (2011). Link.

Westminster.

Whitechapel
Ishaatul Islam Mosque on Ford Square and Damien Street. TQ 351 815. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.
Markazi Masjid (aka Maarkazi Mosque), on Christian Street. TQ 345 812. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in BritainEast London Mosque (aka Council of Mosques) on Whitechapel Road.  Interior view. TQ 344 816. © Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Willesden and Willesden Green
Central Mosque of Brent on Morley Walk, Station Parade. © Mehmood Naqshbandi (1990), and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.
Elim Church on Willesden High Road. Commonly known as Church on the High Road, this was originally a Congregational Chapel, the second in the area, and it pre-dates an O.S. map of 1893. TQ 2210 8475. © Judy Flynn (2014). Link. The predecessor Congregational Chapel seems to have been built some time before 1850. It appears on a map of that year, but is un-named; however, a building with the same footprint is identified on a map of 1865. Demolished at some unidentified date, the site can be seen here on a Streetview, and it would have stood between the trees and the tall green lamp-post. In the same 2015 Streetview can be seen Bethlehem Ministry, of the Assemblies of God, in a former cinema. It can also be seen here in 2014. A 2018 Streetview shows the building boarded up, though whether this was because of closure or refurbishment work is unknown at present. The grid reference for this is TQ 2217 8480. Howard Richter advises that there was also a Salvation Army Citadel on the same road, about opposite to the Ministry, and now replaced by a block of flats (which can be seen by rotating the 2018 Streetview)
St. Mary. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.

Wimbledon
Bethel United Church of Jesus Christ (Apostolic) on Kohat Road. Another view. TQ 259 712. Both © Mehmood Naqshbandi.
Buddhapadipa Thai Temple. Another view. Both © Jennifer Murray. Link.
Gap Road Cemetery Chapel. Another view. TQ 256 715. Both © Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009).
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Plough Lane. Another view. TQ 259 713. Both © Mehmood Naqshbandi.
Wimbledon Mosque on Durnsford Road. Interior view. Both © Mehmood Naqshbandi (1990), and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Woodside Park
St. Barnabas. TQ 256 924. © Michael Bourne.

Woolwich.

Worcester Park
St. Philip. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. This link says that the congregation now shares use of the local Methodist church for its services, so St. Philip may no longer exist - can you confirm? Janet Gimber has advised that the church was partially demolished in 1978, with the remainder following in 1984. Further details here.

 

 
 

Home

26 June 2019

© Steve Bulman

Contact Details