The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|West Ham, Greater London
The site of All Saints (CoE) on East Road. Older maps label it as Congregational, and it survived at least into the 1980's. Surely photos of the church must be out there, but I haven't been able to find one. TQ 4011 8388. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files. Peter Kessler has it as West Ham Park Tabernacle (here, #3).
Christ Church (U.R.C.) on Barking Road. It shows on older maps as Congregational. TQ 4118 8311. © P. L. Kessler (2013) / The History Files.
Glad Tidings Free Pentecostal Church on Plashet Road meets in the former St. John's Reformed Episcopal Church (1889). © P. L. Kessler / The History Files, which advises that it has also hosted a congregation of Moravians from 1912, when it was known as Upton Manor Church. TQ 4053 8394.
Our Lady of Compassion (R.C., 1911) on Green Street. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files.
Plaistow Seventh-day Adventist Church on St. Anthony's Road and Neville Road. TQ 4065 8404. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files. Link.
The Presbyterian Church of Ghana stands at the junction of Harold Road and Claude Road. It was originally Harold Road Free Methodist Church and dates from 1901. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files says that the building was in use by the Ghanaian Church by 2013. Things seem to have moved on, as this 2017 news story tells of a theatrical group taking over the lease of the building, described as a community centre (though the church may have met in the community centre, of course).
Ridley Christian Centre (London City Mission) stands on Upton Lane. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files. Link.
St. Antony of Padua (R.C., 1884-91) stands at the corner of St. Antony's Road and Lancaster Road. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files. Link.
St. Matthew on Dyson Road and Vaughan Road. TQ 3981 8463. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files. Link.
The former Upton Cross Baptist Church on Neville Road dates from 1885, and was closed in the later 1960's. It's presently known as Blossom House, a care home. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files.
Upton Park Wesleyan Methodist Chapel stood on Green Street. The photo (© P. L. Kessler / The History Files) on Peter Kessler's website is for illustrative purposes only, showing a general view. It seems likely, from an examination of old maps, that the building stood at the south side of the junction of Green Street with Cromwell Road, where a 1919 map marks "Meth. Ch. (Wes)". If this identification is correct, this 2019 Streetview shows where the church once stood.
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details