The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|East Ham, Greater London
Baitul Ahad Mosque (AMA) on Tudor Road stands on the site of the former Upton Park District Synagogue - whether it is the same building is not known at present. This source gives the synagogue dates of 1911 - 1972. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files.
Bonny Downs Baptist Church (1933) on Darwell Close and Flanders Road. According to the church website, they also hold services in The Well Community Centre, on Vicarage Lane. It can be seen on Streetview here. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files.
Elim Church sits between Geoffrey Gardens and Cheltenham Gardens at their junctions with Central Park Road. Established in 1926 as Elim Tabernacle, by 1965 it had been re-named as Elim Foursquare Gospel (Hall). Link. Another Elim Church (International Christian Ministries) stands on Arragon Road. Link. Both © P. L. Kessler / The History Files.
The Greek Orthodox Church of St Lazarus & St Andrew (since 2013) stands on Rutland Road. Dating from 1912, it was originally St. Michael's Mission Church. The Mission was a plant from St. Stephen on Green Street, and had met in a tin tabernacle from 1898. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files.
High Street South Methodist Church stands on High Street South opposite its junction with Marlow Road. The congregation dates from 1872, and its first church was Primitive Methodist, a temporary building erected on the present site in 1880, and soon replaced (1885) by a permanent church. Whether anything of that building survived the renovations of 1958 is so far unknown. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files.
Pilgrims Way Church (Congregational and Methodist) was previously Wakefield Street Congregational Church (1957). It replaced the previous church nearby of 1901, destroyed by bombing in WWII, which in turn was successor to the 1890 Stamford Road Church, successor to a Mission Room of 1886 on Holme Road. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files.
The former Plashet Park Church on Katherine Road and Chester Road, now in use as a school. The present building dates from 1926, and replaced an earlier one of 1895. The congregation was formed in 1884. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files.
St. Alban's Christian Centre on the south side of Wakefield Street. The church is now what used to be the church hall. The original church, which stood on the north side of Wakefield Street a few yards east of the church hall, was badly damaged by WWII bombing, and demolished in 1950. It had first been built as a tin tabernacle in 1887, replaced commencing in 1903 in brick. © P. L. Kessler / The History Files. Link.
St George & St Ethelbert stands on Burford Road and Buxton Road. Originally a mission church from St. Mary in Plaistow, it was a wooden structure on the nearby Boston Road. It was demolished following a fire in 1954. The present building dates from 1936-7. Another view. Both © P. L. Kessler / The History Files. Link.
05 March 2020
© Steve BulmanContact Details