The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Lancashire

Lancashire on Wikipedia.


Accrington.
Adlington.
Altham, St. James. SD 771 331. Philip Kapp. Another view, three interior views - 1, 2, 3; a plaque has a brief history. The Bishop's Chair is unique in a parish church, all Mike Berrell (2014). Grade II* listed.
Anderton, St. Joseph (R.C.). Interior view. SD 607 135. Both Mike Berrell (2012). Link.
Ansdell, Lytham St. Anne's - see Lytham St. Annes.
Arkholme, St. John the Baptist, SD 588 718. Methodist Chapel, SD 582 720. Both Elaine Hindson.
Ashton-on-Ribble, Preston - see Preston.
Aughton (near Ormskirk), St. Michael. SD 392 054. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. Grade I listing which mentions work of the C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, and a major restoration in 1876.
Aughton (near Lancaster), St. Saviour. It dates from 1864, on an ancient site. SD 550 676. Elaine Hindson. Link1. Link2.

Bacup.
Bamber Bridge.
Banks, St. Stephen (1866). From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's collection. A modern view, Alan Hopkins. Link. Banks Methodist Church was originally Primitive Methodist (1876, enlarged 1903). Alan Hopkins.
Barley, former Methodist Chapel, now the Village Hall. SD 822 403. Primitive Methodist Chapel. SD 822 405. Both Stuart Mackrell.
Barnoldswick.
Barrow, U.R.C. SD 738 385. The former St. Luke Mission Church, now a private residence. SD 737 383. Both Philip Kapp.
Barrowford, St. Thomas. SD 854 394. Paul Brown. The ruins of the old church of St. Thomas. SD 856 395. Philip Kapp. St. Peter and St. Paul (R.C.) on Gisburn Road. Another view. SD 8627 4015. Both Mike Berrell (2016).
Barton, St. Lawrence. Steve Bulman. Another view. SD 516 372. Philip Kapp. An old postcard (previously in the "Unknown" section) without any clues, from Reg Dosell's Collection, and identified by Janet Gimber.
Baxenden, St John the Baptist (1877) on Church Avenue. Another view. SD 772 265. Both Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II listed. The former Methodist Church, now in secular use.  A 1960's build, it replaced an earlier church which had dry and wet rot. It closed in 2013. Nigel Birch.
Belmont, St. Peter on Rivington Road. SD 673 158. Philip Kapp. Two interior views - 1, 2, both Mike Berrell (2013).
Billington, Ebenezer Baptist Chapel. SD 727 357. Philip Kapp.
Bilsborrow, St. Hilda (1926-7). NG 513 398. Philip Kapp. Another view, and an interior, both
John Balaam (2014). Link. Methodist Church. SD 516 398. Philip Kapp.
Blackburn.
Blacko, Ebenezer Independent Methodist Church (1857) on Gisburn Road. Another view. For sale in 2014. SD 859 416. Many web resources (such as the village website) give the date of building as 1867, though the date-stone is perfectly clear. All Howard Richter (2014). Sale story.
Blackpool.
Bolton by Bowland, St. Peter and St. Paul, a fine church in its own right, is even more worthy of a visit because it possesses a splendid tomb to a knight, his three wives and their 25 children. SD 495 786. Steve Bulman. Another view, Stuart Mackrell. A fine window and doorway, Steve Bulman. Interior view, John Balaam (2016). Link.
Bolton-le-Sands.
Borwick, St. Mary. Another view. Both Elaine Hindson.
Bracewell, St. Michael. Steve Bulman. Two additional views - 1, 2, both Mike Berrell (2014). Link. Grade I listed.
Bretherton, St. John the Baptist (1840). Alan Hopkins. Another view, the interior, altar and organ, all John Balaam (2016). Link (with interior views). Grade II listed. Ebenezer Congregational Church (1819, re-built 1896). Alan Hopkins. Former Methodist Chapel (build ca. 1847, with further work in ca. 1880), now a private residence. Alan Hopkins.
Briercliffe, St. James the Great (1841). Hill Lane Baptist Chapel. SD 877 356. Link. Both Stuart Mackrell.
Brierfield.
Brindle,
St. James. SD 599 242. Philip Kapp. Another view. Peter Morgan. St. Joseph (R.C.), and an interior view, both
John Balaam (2008). Link.
Brinscall, St. Luke on Quarry Road. SD 629 215. Link. Hillside Methodist Church on Parke Road; two interior views - 1, 2, and a window. SD 624 215.
Link. Both Mike Berrell (2013).
Brookhouse, St. Paul. SD 542 646. Philip Kapp. Interior view, and the font, both Dennis Harper (2011). Methodist Church, which originally served as the Caton Primitive Methodist Chapel. SD 541 645. Elaine Hindson. The former Primitive Methodist Chapel (dating from 1861) now a private house. SD 541 645. Philip Kapp.
Broughton, St. John the Baptist. Interior view. Both John Balaam (2011). Link. Grade II* listed - link.
Brownhill, Trinity U.R.C. SD 687 313. Philip Kapp.
Burnley.
Burscough, St. John the Baptist. Link. Methodist Church. Link. Former Salvation Army hall. All Rob Brettle.

Capernwray Evangelical Church (formerly Methodist). SD 542 724. Elaine Hindson.
Carnforth.
Caton.
Charnock Richard, Christ Church (1860) on Church Lane. SD 553 158. Mike Berrell (2012).
Chatburn, Christ Church. Steve Bulman. Interior view, John Balaam (2015). Methodist Church (demolished in 2002). Tom McLean. Methodist Church (built 2002). SD 770 440. Philip Kapp.
Chipping.
Chorley.
Christ Church-over-Wyresdale. Steve Bulman.
Churchtown - see Garstang.
Claughton, St. Chad. Steve Bulman. SD 566 666. Philip Kapp, who has visited this church recently, describes it as having an air of disuse, though the churchyard was obviously still being cared for. Mike Berrell advises (2010) that this church closed in 2002, and is presently (2010) up for sale.
Clayton-le-Moors.
Clayton-le-Woods, St. Bede (R.C.). Peter Morgan.
Cleveleys.
Clitheroe.
Cliviger, Mount Zion Chapel, at Walk Mill. SD 868 298. Stuart Mackrell.
Cockerham, St. Michael. Elaine Hindson. SD 462 519.
Colne.
Coppull, the Parish Church (dedication lost). SD 568 136. St. John the Divine on Hewlett Street. SD 561 142. Wesleyan Methodist Church on Spendmore Lane. SD 563 142. St. Oswald (R.C., 1926) on Tansley Avenue. SD 557 141. All Mike Berrell (2012).
Cotton Tree, Methodist Church. SD 905 400. Philip Kapp.
Cowan Bridge, Methodist Church. Steve Bulman.
Crawshawbooth, Friends Meeting House. Interior view. SD 812 257. Both Nigel Birch.
Croston, St. Michael and All Angels. John Balaam (2012). Grade II* listed - link.

Dalton, St. Michael and All Angels. Mick Finney. Two interior views - 1, 2, both Mike Berrell (2010).
Darwen.
Doals - see Weir, below.
Dolphinholme, dedicated to St. Mark. SD 517 534. Methodist chapel. Both Elaine Hindson.
Downham, St. Leonard. SD 784 443. Philip Kapp. Interior view, Dennis Harper (2004). Grade II* listed - link.
Dunsop Bridge, St. George. SD 660 501. Philip Kapp. St. Hubert (R.C.). Steve Bulman. Another view, and an interior, both John Balaam (2015).

Earby.
Earlestown, St. John the Baptist. Link. Newton Methodist Church. Church of Christ. All Peter Morgan.
Eccleston, St. Mary. John Balaam (2016). Link. St. Agnes (R.C., 1919-22), John Balaam (2013). Another view, Chris K. (2013). Link. Methodist Church, Chris K (2013). Link.
Edenfield, no dedication. The parish church, it dates from 1778. SD 799 198. Mike Berrell. Two interior views - 1, 2, both Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Edenfield Methodist Church on Rochdale Road, formerly Primitive Methodist. SD 801 190. Mike Berrell. Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, and a window, all Mike Berrell (2013). A Wesleyan Chapel formerly stood in the village, and a painting of it hangs in the Methodist Church. In the original, a date-stone of 1832 can be seen. The photo is Mike Berrell (2013), and the image is reproduced by kind permission of the church.
Edgeside, Mount Zion (Baptist). Nigel Birch. An aerial view. This church was opened in 1977, with the previous church (shown here in about 1950 and 1900) being demolished in 1979. SD 838 227. The latter three ECB. St. Ann. Nigel Birch.
Edgworth, St. James Mission Church on Blackburn Road. SD 693 217. Mike Berrell (2013).
Ellel, St. John the Evangelist; SD 487 558. The church in the grounds of Ellel Grange, is disused, and was dedicated to St. Mary - there was a proposal in 2002 to restore the church and convert it into craft workshops and a conference venue. Both Elaine Hindson.
Elton, Bury - see Bury.
Euxton, Parish Church. Although originally listed as "dedication unknown", John Balaam has advised that it is not dedicated to anyone, and hence its name is just Parish Church. Michael Fisher. Link.

Facit, St. John the Evangelist. Interior view. Another interior view, showing the rather fine roof timbers. SD 888 193 All Mike Berrell.
Fairhaven, Lytham St. Annes - see Lytham St. Annes.
Farington Moss, St. Paul. Peter Morgan. Link.
Fence, St. Anne. SD 825 372. Link. Wheatley Lane Methodist Church. SD 831 377. Both Philip Kapp.
Feniscowles, Immanuel Church (1836). John Balaam (2010). Link.
Fleetwood.
Forton, which is better known to most travellers as a service station on the M6 motorway, has a church dedicated to St. James; this church is also known as Shireshead Old Church. SD 493 514. Elaine Hindson. Another view, Alan Blacklock. Methodist Church on Hollins Lane. Elaine Hindson.
Foulridge, St. Michael and All Angels on Skipton Road. SD 890 425. Mike Berrell. Link. Mount Pleasant Methodist Church on County Brook Lane closed in 2008. SD 880 433. Philip Kapp.
Fulwood, Preston - see Preston.

Galgate, St Joseph (R.C.). Methodist Church. Both Elaine Hindson.
Garstang.
Gisburn, St. Mary the Virgin. Steve Bulman. Another view, the interior, and the Ribblesdale Chapel, all John Balaam (2015). Link. Grade II* listed.
Glasson Dock,
Christ Church (1840). SD 449 559. Elaine Hindson. Another view, and the interior, both John Balaam (2017). Link.
Goodshaw, St. Mary and All Saints (1829). SD 814 262. Stuart Mackrell. Link. Grade II listed. Baptist Church. SD 812 259. Philip Kapp. This was originally the Sunday School to the demolished chapel - shown here and here in two photos from Nigel Birch's Collection. At the left in the latter photo can be seen what I suspect is the Sunday School. The Old Baptist Chapel on Goodshaw Lane. In the care of English Heritage, one service per year is still held here. First built in 1760, it was enlarged several times, and reached its current size and furnishings by 1809. Nigel Birch. Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, and an explanatory plaque, all Graham French (2011).
Goosnargh, St. Mary the Virgin. Another view. SD 560 369. Link. Methodist Church. SD 558 363. Link. All Philip Kapp.
Great Harwood, St. Bartholomew. John Balaam (1987). Link. Our Lady and St. Hubert  (R.C.) on St. Hubert's Street. Two interior views - 1, 2. SD 737 322. All Mike Berrell (2016). St. Wulfstan (R.C.) on Rushton Street. Three interiors - 1, 2, 3. SD 730 320. All Mike Berrell (2016).
Great Mitton, All Hallows. SD 715 389. Philip Kapp. Another view. Stuart Mackrell.
Green Howarth, the former Wesleyan Chapel (1836, re-built 1903, date-stone) on Broadfield. SD 753 261. Mike Berrell (2014).
Greenfield, Methodist Church. SD 996 043. Michael Bourne.
Gregson Lane, Trinity Methodist Church. SD 594 263. John Balaam (2013). Link.
Gressingham, St. John. SD 572 699. Elaine Hindson.
Grimehills, St. Mary's Mission Church. John Balaam (2010).
Grimsargh, St. Michael. SD 582 338. Our Lady & St. Michael (R.C.). SD 597 348. Both Philip Kapp.
Grindleton, St. Ambrose. SD 762 456. Steve Bulman. Methodist Church. SD 758 458. Philip Kapp.


Habergham, Burnley - see Burnley.
Hallfold, U.R.C. SD 882 177. Philip Kapp. Mike Berrell has advised that this was in fact the Sunday School building. The present church entrance is visible here at the far right. Interior view. Both Mike Berrell. Painting of the previous church building, which stood nearby - all that remains are the gateposts. Some stained glass was transferred to the present church. The church also has a sampler, made by Ellen Grindrod in 1846, showing the original chapel. These were all taken by Mike Berrell, by kind permission of the church.
Halton, St. Wilfred. U.R.C., formerly Congregational. Link. The R.C. Church dedicated to St. Robert Bellarine. All Elaine Hindson.
Hapton, St. Margaret (1914) on Manchester Road. Two interiors - 1, 2. SD 792 316. Link. Methodist Church (1930) on Whitefield Street. Originally a Wesleyan Church, presumably in an earlier building - was it on the same site? Two interiors - 1, 2. Link. All Mike Berrell (2014).
Harrop Fold, the former chapel, now Christian Fellowship. SD 748 495. Philip Kapp.
Haslingden.
Haydock.
Heapey,
St. Barnabas on Chapel Lane. SD 601 205. Mike Berrell (2010). Two interior views - 1, 2, and a window, all Mike Berrell (2013). Link.
Helmshore, St. Thomas. SD 783 212. Philip Kapp. The long-demolished Wesleyan Chapel, from Nigel Birch's Collection. Also long gone, Sion Primitive Methodist Chapel (1839), which stood on Holcombe Road. From Nigel Birch's Collection. St. Veronica (R.C.) on Helmshore Road. SD 7842 2135. Mike Berrell (2015). Interior view, Mike Berrell (2016). The adjacent and semi-derelict former presbytery and church (which was in the right hand side of the building). Mike Berrell (2016). Link.
Hesketh Bank, All Saints, aka Becconsall Old Church. Now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Alan Hopkins. Another view, John Balaam (2014). Link1. Link2. The modern All Saints was consecrated in 1926. Methodist Chapel, dating from 1938. Hesketh Bank Christian Fellowship. Alan advises that although the congregation was formed in about 1972, the church was only built recently (photo added March 2009). They previously met in peoples houses then the village hall. Link. Hesketh Moss Chapel. All Alan Hopkins.
Hest Bank, St. Luke, parish church of Slyne with Hest. United Reformed Church (formerly Congregational). Both Elaine Hindson. Mike Berrell suspects that this church is now closed - can you confirm? Link.
Heysham.
Higham, St. John (1874). SD 810 366. Stuart Mackrell.
Higher Walton, All Saints. Peter Morgan.
Higherford, Sts. Peter and Paul (R.C., 1897). SD 863 402. Philip Kapp. Two additional views - 1, 2. SD 8627 4015. Both Howard Richter (2014). Link. Higherford Methodist Church. SD 8624 3989. Stuart Mackrell. Another view, Howard Richter (2014). Link - scroll down to near the bottom, from where it says that this is the third chapel on this site. The first, Wesleyan, was built in 1800. When a second chapel was built adjacent to the first, in 1890, the first chapel became the Sunday School. The first chapel was demolished in 1959. The second followed in 1990; it was subsequently transported to Japan where it serves as a wedding chapel. A photo of it in Japan is available here.
Hoddlesden, St. Paul on Baynes Street, undergoing building work in 2014. Services are taking place in the adjoining school. SD 716 225. Link (includes photos). The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1879, date-stone) on Queen Street, now in secular use. SD 717 223. All Mike Berrell (2014).
Hoghton, Holy Trinity. SD 614 259. Philip Kapp.
Holden, Chapel. SD 771 496. Philip Kapp.
Holme Chapel, St. John the Divine (1788). SD 876 285. Stuart Mackrell.
Holmes, Methodist Church. Alan Hopkins.
Hornby, St. Margaret. Steve Bulman. SD 585 687. Another view. Elaine Hindson. Another view, and an interior view, both Dennis Harper (2004). St. Mary (R.C., 1820). Elaine Hindson. A close-up of one of the busts flanking the entrance, and an interior view, both Chris Stafford (2013). Link.
Horton-in-Craven, Higher Paradise Congregational Chapel, or Horton Congregational Church. SD 856 502. Philip Kapp. Another view, Alan Marsden (2016), who advises that Salem Congregational Chapel (see Rimington, below) was founded as an off-shoot from Paradise Chapel, in 1816. Link.
Huncoat, St. Augustine. John Balaam (2011). Our Lady (R.C.). SD 776 309. Methodist Church (built as Wesleyan, 1869). SD 775 309. Both Philip Kapp. Another view of the now closed church, Mike Berrell (2014).
Hurst Green, St. John the Evangelist (1838). SD 681 378. Steve Bulman. Another view, Stuart Mackrell. Cemetery Chapel. SD 684 384. Philip Kapp. Nearby stands Stonyhurst College, and the Chapel of St. Peter. Stuart Mackrell. Another view, and two interiors - 1, 2, all Mike Berrell (2016). Link. Grade I listed. St. Joseph (R.C.) on Whalley Road. Interior view. SD 688 381. Both Mike Berrell (2016). Link.
Hurstwood, Hurstwood Church (Christian non-denominational) was originally Baptist (1870). SD 882 314. Stuart Mackrell. Link. St. Joseph (R.C.) on Whalley Road. Interior view. SD 688

Inglewhite, Congregational Church. SD 547 398. Philip Kapp.
Inskip, Baptist Church. Mark Eccles. Link.
Irwell Vale, Methodist Church. Another view. Both John Balaam (2012).

Kelbrook, St. Mary (1839) on Church Lane. SD 903 448. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. A modern view. Mike Berrell. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the List of Vicars, all Mike Berrell (2013). Link.
Kirkham.
Knowle Green, Congregational Church. SD 637 381. A converted chapel near Knowle Green on Gallows Lane, at SD 663 374. Both Philip Kapp.

Lancaster.
Laneshaw Bridge, Methodist Church on Keighley Road - built as Wesleyan in 1858. SD 921 407. Philip Kapp. Another view, Mike Berrell (2014).
Langho, St. Leonard. SD 711 349. Philip Kapp. Another view. Peter Simpson. Link. St. Mary (Our Lady Assumed into Heaven) (R.C.) on York Lane. SD 704 339. Philip Kapp. Two interior views - 1, 2, both Mike Berrell (2016). Methodist Church. SD 705 342. Philip Kapp.
Leck, St. Peter. Mrs. Janet Dalby. And an old postcard view (card franked 1905), from Reg Dosell's Collection.
Leyland.
Littledale. Built for the Dodson's of Littledale Hall, this church is now sadly used as a barn. Elaine Hindson.
Longridge.
Longton, St. Andrew. Alan Hopkins. Link. St. Oswald (R.C.). Alan Hopkins. Interior view, John Balaam (2012). Longton Methodist Church, built as Wesleyan, in 1872. Alan Hopkins.
Lostock Hall, St. James (1891-2) on Moss Lane. SD 5467 2563. Peter Morgan. Another view, Mike Berrell (2016).Link. The Methodist Church (1866-2010) on Watkin Lane was built as United Methodist. Peter Morgan. Another view. Assuming the 1866 date is correct, a date-stone for 1904 must refer to an extension or re-build. Both Mike Berrell (2016). News item on proposed use following closure. Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Gerard Majella (R.C.) on Lourdes Avenue. SD 544 259. Peter Morgan. Another view, John Balaam (2014). Three interiors - 1, 2, 3. Plaques date the blessing of the tower and extension (presumably soon after building) to 1963, and another dates the consecration (when all monies owed for the building had been paid) to 1965. All Mike Berrell (2016). Link.
Love Clough, the long-gone Providence Chapel. Another view. Nigel explains that it was originally built in 1846 as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and school house. In 1871 a new chapel was built, the earlier one having proved too small. It closed in 1961, and demolished in 1967. Both from old postcards in Nigel Birch's Collection.
Lower Darwen - see Darwen.
Lumb, St. Michael. SD 837 249. Eden Chapel (United Free Methodist), built in 1874 and demolished in 2004. SD 841 256. Both John Purdy. Baptist Church on Burnley Road East. Originally the Sunday School building to a chapel which was built 1882, and demolished in 1973. SD 838 248. Nigel Birch.
Lytham St. Anne's.

Mawdesley, St. Peter. Link. Methodist Church. Link. Both John Balaam (2013).
Melling, dedicated to St. Wilfrid. SD 598 711. Steve Bulman. Another view. Alan Blacklock (2010). Another view, interior view, and font, all Dennis Harper (2011). Link. Grade I listed - link.
Mellor, St. Mary the Virgin. John Balaam (2011). Link. Methodist Church. SD 654 310. Philip Kapp.
Mere Brow, Primitive Methodist Chapel (1861). Primitive Methodist Chapel (1902). Both Alan Hopkins. Link.
Middleforth Green, St. Leonard. Peter Morgan.
Middleton, Methodist Church. Elaine Hindson.
Millgate, former Market Street Particular Baptist Church at Facit, now a private residence. Nigel Birch.
Millhead (near Carnforth), Jehovah's Witnesses. Elaine Hindson.
Mitton, All Hallows. Previously in the "Unknown" section, where it was under the postcards spelling of Mytton, thanks to Janet Gimber for identifying this church. From an old postcard, Steve Bulman's Collection. Link.
Morecambe.
Much Hoole, St. Michael. Mark Eccles. Another view. Alan Hopkins. Alan has also created a composite photo from four different parts of the stained glass window. Alan Hopkins. Link. Wesleyan Chapel. Alan Hopkins.

Nelson.
Nether Kellett, St. Mark (unlicensed mission). Congregational Church. Both Elaine Hindson.
New Longton, All Saints (1964), architect Tom Mellor O.B.E. Alan Hopkins (2010). Interior view, Lady Chapel, Baptistery and the Millennium Mural (The Ascent of the Saints) by Tom Phillips, all John Balaam (2010). Link. Methodist Chapel (1908). Alan Hopkins (2010). Link - which wasn't working when I tried it, but you may have more luck.
Newchurch-in-Pendle, St. Mary. Previously in the "Unknown" section, thanks go to Bryan McCahey for identifying it. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view, SD 822 394. Stuart Mackrell. Link1. Link2.
Newchurch-in-Rossendale, St. Nicholas, on Church Street. SD 813 245. Nigel Birch. Link. Another view, and two interior views - 1, 2, and a window showing St. Nicholas, all Mike Berrell (2016). St. Joseph and St. Peter (R.C.) on Chapel Street. Interior view. SD 836 224. Both Mike Berrell (2016).
Newton-in-Makerfield, Emmanuel (CoE). Peter Morgan. Link.
Newton-le-Willows.
Newton-in-Bowland, U.R.C. SD 697 504. Friends Meeting House. SD 695 505. Both Philip Kapp.

Old Langho, St. Leonard. SD 701 358. Philip Kapp.
Ormskirk, St. Peter & St. Paul. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view. Mike Berrell (2010). Link.
Osbaldeston, St. Mary (R.C.) on Longsight Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. SD 6486 3185. All Mike Berrell (2016).
Oswaldtwistle.
Over Darwen - see Darwen.
Out Rawcliffe, St. John the Evangelist. David Lea.
Over Kellett, St. Cuthbert. Elaine Hindson. SD 522 695.
Overton, St. Helen, SD 440 586. Sunderland Point Mission Church (unlicenced). St. Bernard (R.C.). All Elaine Hindson.

Padiham.
Parbold, Our Lady & All Saints (R.C.). SD 495 107. Chalmers Cursley. Link.
Paythorne, Methodist Church. Steve Bulman.
Pendleton, All Saints (1847). SD 758 395. Stuart Mackrell.
Penwortham.
Pleasington, Pleasington Priory. dedicated to St. Mary and St. John the Baptist (R.C.). Another view, and a doorway. SD 643 266. All Philip Kapp. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, all Mike Berrell (2016). Pleasington Crematorium Chapel (1956) on Tower Road. This sculpture commemorates its 50th anniversary. SD 649 272. Both Mike Berrell (2013). Link.
Poulton-le-Fylde.
Preston.

Quernmore, St. Peter. SD 518 603. Elaine Hindson. Another view. Alan Blacklock (2010). Methodist Church. Both Elaine Hindson.

Rake Foot.
Rawtenstall.
Read, St. John the Evangelist. SD 765 347. U.R.C. SD 765 345. Both Philip Kapp.
Reedsholme, the former Sunnyside Baptist Chapel on Burnley Road. Founded in 1847, it closed in the early 1970's and was demolished in 1973. From an old photo in Nigel Birch's Collection.
Ribbleton, Preston - see Preston.
Ribchester, St. Wilfrid. SD 649 350. Philip Kapp. Another view, John Balaam (2015). Grade I listed. St. Peter and St. Paul (R.C.) on Stydd Lane. Three interiors - 1, 2, 3. SD 6534 3579. All Mike Berrell (2016). Evangelical Presbyterian Church. SD 650 353. Philip Kapp.
Rimington, Salem Congregational Chapel at Martin Top. SD 821 457. Philip Kapp. Two additional views - 1, 2, both Alan Marsden. Link. Grade II listed.
Rishton.
Rising Bridge, the former St. John, now a private residence. SD 784 254. Philip Kapp. Grade II listed.
Rivington, Rivington Church, on Sheep House Lane. Mike advises that "Rivington Church" is the correct name, there being no dedication. SD 625 144. Grade II listed - link (which has it as Holy Trinity). The church also has a detached single-storey belltower, though the bell is now missing. It dates from 1542. Link (for both). It is also Grade II listed - link. Unitarian and Free Christian Chapel (1703) on The Green. It has links with Walt Whitman - see plaque. Link. SD 627 145. All Mike Berrell (2012).
Roby Mill, Jubilee Methodist Chapel (1860). Mick Finney.
Roeburndale, Methodist Chapel. Mrs. Janet Dalby.
Rufford, St. Mary the Virgin. Rob Brettle. Interior view. John Balaam (2007). Link.

Sabden,
St. Nicholas (1846) on Wesley Street. This link indicates that the church was closed for a couple of years over safety concerns, but re-opened after renovation. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. A modern view. SD 781 376. Stuart Mackrell. Another view, and an interior both Mike Berrell (2016). Grade II listed. Methodist Church. SD 779 375. Stuart Mackrell. Baptist Church on Clitheroe Road. This is the former school building of the previous church, which has been converted to residential use following the removal of the upper floor. Interior view of the current church, which also sees duty as a cafe. SD 7788 3763. All Mike Berrell (2016). St. Mary (R.C.) on Whalley Road. Interior view. SD 7775 3739. Both Mike Berrell (2016).
St. Annes, Lytham St. Annes - see Lytham St. Annes.
St. Michael's on Wyre, St. Michael. Jill Coulthard. Another view. Alan Blacklock. Link.
Salterforth, the former Inghamite Chapel on Earby Road, now in secular use. SD 890 455. Baptist Church on Chapel Hill, built as Ebenezer in 1851. SD 889 455. Link. All Mike Berrell (2013).
Samlesbury, St. Leonard the Less on Potter Lane. Jane Marriott. Interior view, and the East window, both John Balaam (2016). Grade I listed. St. Mary & St. John Southworth (R.C.) on Preston New Road. SD 5935 3032. Philip Kapp. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, all Mike Berrell (2016).
Sawley, Society of Friends. SD 772 466. Sawley Abbey. SD 776 464. Link. Both Philip Kapp.
Scarisbrick, St. Mark on Jacksmere Lane. SD 379 134. Mike Berrell (2010). St. Elizabeth (R.C.) on a wintry day. Karl. Link. Southport Crematorium on Southport Road, and two interior views - 1, 2, all Mike Berrell (2010).
Scorton, St. Peter. Tom Halstead. Interior view, John Balaam (2015). St. Mary and St. James (R.C.). Tom Halstead. Another view, the interior and East window, all John Balaam (2016). Methodist Church (originally Wesleyan). Link. Tom Halstead.
Scotforth, Lancaster.
Shawforth, the Methodist Church, originally Shawforth Wesleyan Chapel, on Market Street. SD 891 205. Mike Berrell.
Shireshead, St. Paul. Rosemary Groves.
Shuttleworth, St. John in the Wilderness, on Whalley Road. SD 800 177. Philip Kapp. Another view. Mike Berrell. This is perhaps the former Baptist Church. A plaque on the wall reads "Baptist School 1868". SD 799 174. Philip Kapp.
Silverdale, St. John. Methodist Church. Both Elaine Hindson.
Simonstone, St. Peter. SD 775 345. Philip Kapp.
Skelmersdale.
Skerton.
Slaidburn, St. Andrew. SD 710 520. Steve Bulman. Another view,  Alan Blacklock (2010). Interior view, Stuart Mackrell. The former Methodist Chapel (1821 - 1999) now serves as the village hall. Alan Blacklock (2010). Another view. Stuart Mackrell.
Slyne, Christadelphian Hall. Elaine Hindson. Exclusive Brethren Meeting Room, and another view, both Tim Flitcroft (2012).
Southfield, Methodist Church. SD 878 368. Stuart Mackrell.
Stacksteads.
Stubbins (near Ramsbottom), St. Philip, on Chatterton Road. Interior view. Christ Church and Neighbourhood Centre (Baptist and Methodist) on Gt. Eaves Road. Interior view. SD 792 174. All Mike Berrell.
Stydd, St. Saviour. SD 654 359. St. Peter & St. Paul (R.C.). SD 653 357. Both Philip Kapp.

Tarleton, Holy Trinity on Church Road dates from 1886. SD 451 204. Don Tomkinson. Another view. Alan Hopkins. Link1. Link2. St. Mary (Tarleton Old Church) dates from 1717, and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Alan Hopkins. Interior view, John Balaam (2014). Link. Grade II* listed.Link. Church of Our Lady (R.C.). Alan Hopkins. The Wesleyan Chapel dates from 1896. Alan Hopkins. Link. Primitive Methodist Chapel (1909). Alan Hopkins.
Tatham, St. James the Less. Mrs. Janet Dalby. Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, and the font, all Dennis Harper (2003). Link. Grade II* listed - link.
Tewitfield, Methodist Church. Elaine Hindson.
Thornton.
Thurnam, St. Thomas and St. Elizabeth (R.C.). Elaine Hindson.
Tockholes, St. Stephen on Rock Lane. This is at least the fourth church on this site, as this plaque in the church lists (photo taken through a window). SD 660 234. Link. U.R.C. on Chapels Lane, built as Independent. SD 658 230. Link. All Mike Berrell (2014).
Torrisholme, Church of the Ascension, SD 454 637. Church of the Good Shepherd (R.C.). Methodist Church. All Elaine Hindson.
Trawden, St. Mary the Virgin. SD 911 385. Link. The former St. Ursula (R.C.). SD 908 400. The former Zion Chapel. SD 912 382. All Philip Kapp.
Treales, Christ Church (C).
John Balaam (2017).
Tunstall, St. John the Baptist. Steve Bulman. Another view. Jane Marriott. SD 614 739.

Upholland, St. Thomas the Martyr. Another view. The tower. Neil advises that according to local legend, the last British highwayman is buried here. All Neil and Lewis Bulman. Mick Finney has been in touch to advise that the highwayman was just a local burglar - this website tells the story. Interior view. Mike Berrell (2010). Link. St. Teresa (R.C.) on College Road. SD 518 060. Peter Morgan. Another view. Mike Berrell (2010). Methodist Church. Peter Morgan. Its predecessor, the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on School Lane, still stands and is currently being renovated. An inscribed stone reads "Wesleyan Methodist Chapel & School 1849". Mick Finney.

Waddington, St. Helen. Steve Bulman. Interior view, John Balaam (2016). Link. Methodist Church, Steve Bulman. Link. Chapel at Waddington Almshouses (Hospital). SD 729 441. Philip Kapp.
Walmer Bridge, former Methodist Chapel, currently (2009) up for sale. The foundation stone was laid in 1894. The photo on Geograph is dated 2006, and the church appears to have been still active then. Alan Hopkins.
Walton-le-Dale, St. Leonard. SD 561 281. Philip Kapp. Another view, John Balaam (2015). Grade II* listed. Our Lady and St. Patrick (R.C.) on Higher Walton Road. SD 563 279. Peter Morgan. Another view, and the interior, both Mike Berrell (2016). Grade II listed. The former Church Brow Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, now a house. Thanks to Mike Berrell for the identification. Peter Morgan.
Wargrave, St. David (R.C.). Peter Morgan.
Warton, St. Oswald King and Martyr. Methodist Chapel. Both Elaine Hindson.
Waterfoot.
Weeton, St. Michael. Mrs. Janet Dalby.
Weir (formerly known as Doals), Weir Baptist Church, on Burnley Road. The newest church in the area, having opened in 2008. Nigel Birch. It's built on the site of a previous church. From Nigel Birch's Collection. SD 865 245. Very close-by is the former Heald Methodist Church, now a residential home. Nigel Birch. An old photograph, from Nigel Birch's Collection.
Wesham, Christ Church. Paul Brown. SD 418 330. St. Joseph (R.C.). Mrs. Janet Dalby.
West Bradford, St. Catherine. John Balaam (2016).
Whalley.
Wheatley Lane, Inghamite Chapel. SD 839 384. Stuart Mackrell. Link.
Whitewell, St. Michael. Steve Bulman. Another view, and an interior view, both Alan Blacklock (2010).
Whitewell Bottom, the former Methodist Church (1840) closed in the 1990's, and is now in residential use. Nigel Birch. An earlier photo from Nigel Birch's Collection.
Whittle-le-Woods, St. John the Evangelist, SD 578 215. Methodist Church. SD 579 219. Both Philip Kapp. St. Chad (R.C.). Peter Morgan.
Whittington, St. Michael. A mosaic of the saint. Both Mrs. Janet Dalby.
Whitworth.
Winewall, the former Inghamite Chapel, now houses. SD 911 399. Philip Kapp.
Winmarleigh, St. Luke. SD 471 480. Elaine Hindson.
Wiswell, former Independent Chapel (now a private residence). Philip was advised that the house nearest the camera wasn't part of the chapel, but the two further buildings both were. It remains unclear whether these were two different chapels, or just one. Can you clarify? SD 735 375. Philip Kapp.
Withnell, St. Paul on Bury Lane. Two interior views - 1, 2. SD 632 224. Link. St. Joseph (R.C.) on Bury Lane, and two interior views - 1, 2. SD 632 223. Link. All Mike Berrell (2013).
Woodplumpton, St. Anne. John Balaam (2014). Link. Grade II* listed.
Worsthorne, St. John (1835). SD 877 324. The former Methodist Church (1837), now a nursery. SD 873 324. Both Stuart Mackrell.
Wray, Holy Trinity. SD 603 675. Philip Kapp. Another view. Dennis Harper (2011). Two further views - 1, 2, both Roger Heap (2012). Methodist Church, originally a Quaker Meeting House. Another view. SD 601 676. Both Dennis Harper (2011).
Wrea Green, St. Nicholas. John Balaam (2014). Link.
Wyresdale, Methodist Church. Steve Bulman.

Yate with Pickup Bank, Congregational Church on Top-o'-th'-Meadow. Built as an Independent School in 1834 (date-stone), it was consecrated as a chapel in 1860. Four services are held each year. Interior view (taken through a window). SD 726 228. All Mike Berrell (2014).
Yealand, St. John. St. Mary (R.C.). Friends Meeting House. All  Elaine Hindson.

 

 
 

Home

28 August 2017

Steve Bulman

Contact Details