The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Dumfries and Galloway

Dumfries and Galloway on Wikipedia.


Annan. Bill Henderson.
Anwoth. From an old postcard (franked 1903) in Steve Bulman's Collection. 
Applegarthtown, Applegarth, Sibbaldie and Johnstone Church (CoS). NY 104 843. Peter Amsden (2014). Link.
Auchencairn, (Church of Scotland). Bill Henderson.

Balmaclennan, Balmaclennan & Kells Minster (CoS). James Murray (2009). Link.
Bankend, Caerlaverock Church of Scotland. Another view. NY 025 692. Both  Steve Bulman (2015). Grade B listed.
Beeswing, the former Lochend Church, undergoing conversion to a private residence. James Murray (2009).
Borgue, the parish church. NX 629 484. Steve Bulman.
Buittle, (Church of Scotland), built 1819. The Auld Kirk. Both Bill Henderson.
Burnhead, former church, now in secular use. James Murray (2009).

Caerlaverock, the chapel of Caerlaverock Castle is believed to have been on the first floor. NY 025 655. Steve Bulman (2010).
Canonbie, United Parish Church (CoS and United Free CoS). NY 394 908. Bill Henderson. Another view, Steve Bulman (2012). Link.
Carsphairn, Parish Church. James Murray (2009).
Castle Douglas, (Church of Scotland). Bill Henderson. The former St. Andrew (which was the parish church), converted into a theatre in the 1990's. James Murray (2009).
Caulkerbush, Southwick Parish Church. NX 927 573. Steve Bulman.
Challoch, All Saints (Scottish Episcopal). NX 385 674. Peter Amsden (2014). Link.
Colvend, the Parish Church. 84 NX 862 542. Steve Bulman.
Creetown, Kirkmabreck Parish Church (CoS). Another view. Both James Murray (2009).
Crossmichael, Parish Church. Another view. Both James Murray (2009).
Cummertrees. Bill Henderson.

Dalbeattie.
Dalswinton, Barony Church. Another view. Both James Murray (2009).
Dornock, Parish Church. Another view. NY 230 659. Both Steve Bulman (2010).
Dumfries.
Dundrennan, Rerrick Parish Church. Bill Henderson. Dundrennan Abbey. Four further views - 1, 2, 3, 4, and a decorated grave slab. NX 748 474. All Steve Bulman (2010). Link.
Dunscore, Parish Church (CoS). James Murray (2009).

Eastriggs, Church of Scotland. ca. NY 245 663. St. John the Evangelist (Episcopal). NY 245 662. Both Steve Bulman (2010).
Eskdalemuir, the Parish Church (CoS). Samye-Ling Tibetan Monastery and Centre. Link. Both James Murray (2009).
Ewes, Parish Church (CoS). NY 369 908. Bill Henderson.

Gatehouse of Fleet.
Glencaple, former(?) church on Church Street. It may be the one referred to here in the early 1880's as a Free Church. Another view. NX 995 688. Both  Steve Bulman (2015).
Gretna, St. Andrew (CoS) on Loanwath Road. Jim Parker (2012). Link. All Saints Episcopal Church on Annan Road. Jim Parker (2012). Link. Gretna Community Church meet at the Richard Greenhow Centre on Central Avenue. Jim Parker (2012). Link.  The former St. Ninian (R.C.) on Victoria Avenue, now the Anvil Hall Wedding Venue. Jim Parker (2012). Gretna Old Parish Church (CoS) at Gretna Green. NY 319 680. Steve Bulman. Another view. Alan Blacklock.

Haugh of Urr, Urr Parish Church (CoS, 1914, on site of 1815 church). Many of the monuments in the graveyard pre-date the present church. Two further views - 1, 2. NX 816 658. All Steve Bulman (2011).
Holywood, Parish Church. Another view. Both James Murray (2009).

Irongray (near Dumfries). Kevan Mellor. Another view. James Murray (2009).
Isle of Whithorn, Isle Church, which dates from 1844. NX 478 364. Link. The remains of St. Ninian's Chapel. NX 479 362. Link1. Link2. Both Dave Westrap.

Kelton, Parish Church (CoS). In the grounds stands the Douglas Mausoleum (link). Both James Murray (2009). Another view. Steve Bulman (2011). Link.
Kirkbean, the Parish Church. NX 980 592. Steve Bulman. Another view. James Murray (2009).
Kirkconnel, Parish Church (CoS, 1729). Another view. Link. St. Conal (R.C.). All James Murray (2009).
Kirkcudbright.
Kirkgunzeon, Church of Scotland. Another view. Both James Murray (2009).
Kirkland, Glencairn Parish Church. which dates from 1836-7. NX 809 904. Dave Westrap. Link. Maxwelton Chapel (Episcopal), built by the Laurie family, of which Annie Laurie was an ancestor. Interior view. NX 825 894. Both James Murray (2009).
Kirkmadrine, the church, which although relatively modern, is suggested to stand on the site of a very early monastery. No longer in use, the church is mostly famous for its collection on C5-C6 gravestones. Interior view, taken through a window. Colin Waters Collection (2011). Link.
Kirkpatrick Fleming, Parish Church (CoS). Another view. Both Jim Parker (2012). Link.
Kirkton, Kirkmahoe Parish Church. James Murray (2009). Link.

Langholm, Church of Scotland. NY 361 844. Bill Henderson.
Lochmaben, Church of Scotland. James Murray (2009).
Lockerbie, Salvation Army Hall. Rob Brettle.

Merkland (near Dunscore), former church, now a private residence. James Murray (2009).
Middlebie, the Parish Church. NY 213 761. Gill Webb-Tomkinson.
Minnigaff, the Monigaff Parish Church (CoS). NX 410 666. Dave Westrap. Link1. Link2. Link3.
Moffat.
Moniaive, St. Ninian (CoS). Link. Glencairn Memorial Institute was built in 1834 as a church, and in 1921 was sold by the United Presbyterian Church (when it was called the Glencairn and Moniaive United Free Church) to serve as a memorial to the dead of WWI. Link. Ruined church, probably Glencairn Free Church as listed in Pevsner. All James Murray (2009).
Mouswald, Parish Church. Another view. Both James Murray (2009).

New Abbey, the Parish Church. NX 965 660. Steve Bulman. Another view. James Murray (2009). Sweetheart Abbey, from an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view, Steve Bulman. And another, Bill Henderson. Another view, and an "interior view", both James Murray (2009). Link. After the reformation, the nave of the abbey was no longer used for services for the local people, and they initially met for services in what had been the abbey refectory in the south range (the low walls in the foreground) of the abbey buildings. This was succeeded in 1731 by a new church built against or near the south wall of the abbey nave. No trace remains. Both Steve Bulman (2016).
Newton Stewart.

Parton, Parish Church (CoS). To the left, and now forming part of a walled burial area, is the remaining fragment of the old parish church. Another view. Both James Murray (2009).
Penpont, Church of Scotland. NX 848 944. Dave Westrap. Link1. Link2.
Portpatrick, Church of Scotland. NX 001 544. St. Andrew's Auld Kirk, 17th century, ceased being used as a church in 1842. NW 999 542. Both Bill Henderson. St. Ninian (Episcopal). NX 000 542. Dave Westrap. Link.

Ruthwell, the Parish Church. The famous Ruthwell Cross shows in this internal photo. NY 100 682. Both Gill Webb-Tomkinson. Three further views - 1, 2, 3, two interior views - 1, 2, the latter also showing the cross, and a close-up of the cross itself, all Steve Bulman (2010). Link.

St. John's Town of Dalry, the Parish Church. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view. James Murray (2009). Link1. Link2. Former church, converted to a private dwelling - identified by Janet Gimber as United Free Church. It was probably United Presbyterian before this, and if so, the building dates from 1899, and closed ante-2006. James Murray (2009).
Sanquhar, St. Ninian's Baptist Church. Apostolic Church of God. Both James Murray (2009).

Terregles, Parish Church (C, CoS). Another view. Both Steve Bulman (2014). Link. Grade B listed.
Thornhill, Parish Church. Another view. This former church is Virginhall Church (confirmed by Janet Gimber), and is now in use as a furniture shop. The former Evangelical Union Church, now a squash club. All James Murray (2009).
Tongland, the roofless remains of the Parish Church. NX 698 540. Beside it stand the even more ruinous remains of the Old Parish Church. Both Steve Bulman.
Torthorwald, Parish Church. James Murray (2009). Link.
Tundergarth, Church of Scotland (1900). This stands a couple of miles east of Lockerbie at NY 175 808. Another view. It replaced an earlier building which was built in 1770, the overgrown ruins of which apparently stand nearby. Both Martin Richter (2012). Grade B listed - link.
Twynholm, the Parish Church. NX 664 542. Steve Bulman. Another view. Mark Eccles.
Tynron, the Kirk (CoS). Another view. Both James Murray (2009).

Wanlockhead, the former church has been closed for many years. Another view. This may be the "Miner's Church" mentioned on Genuki. Both Adam Schofield (2014). Link.
Whithorn, St. Ninian's Priory (CoS, the parish church). Interior view. Adjacent to it are the remains of the 12th century Priory, which was later the parish church until the present one was built in 1822. NX 444 403. All Dave Westrap. Link1. Link2. Link3.
Wigtown.

 

 
 

Home

25 September 2016

Steve Bulman

Contact Details