Conwy on Wikipedia.
St. Mary (O). SH 7937 5646. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A
modern view, © Martin Briscoe.
Another view, © Alan Blacklock (2010).
© John Balaam (2010).
Two more interior views -
2, and the
font, and three examples of the
fine windows - 1,
© Chris Stafford (2015).
Grade II* listed, wherein it's dated to 1873 (tower 1907).
The former church of
St. Michael and All Angels. SH 7960 5656. © Martin
Briscoe. Another view, © Dave
Westrap. Dave advises that the church originally dates from the 14th century,
and was the original parish church. Replaced by St. Mary in 1873, it gradually
fell into disrepair, until efforts to repair and preserve it were undertaken
from 1994. Declared redundant in 2000, a trust now leases it from the Church in
Wales. Another view, and the
© John Balaam (2017).
Capel Brynmawr (Calvinistic
Methodist). SH 7904 5668. © Steve Bulman. Despite having walked right past it, I
didn't spot that this shop
(seen on a Streetview from 2018) was a former chapel. The
side-view, also from 2018,
is slightly more suggestive. Tabernacl
Independent/Congregational was, according to
Coflein, built in 1870, a
re-build of an earlier chapel of 1842, and had been converted into the shop by
Bont-Newydd, the site of a demolished Welsh
Baptist Chapel stands about two miles east of Llanefydd. The Streetview
van got no closer in 2009 than the
leading to the site, which is about 100 meters along on the right. SJ
0134 7084. The
Coflein entry provides a building date of 1826, with demolition
Bron Haul, former Chapel (1878), now in secular use. SH 848 545. © Mike Berrell.
Brymbo, Capel Bryn Seion (Welsh Baptist).
SH 8043 7110. According to the Coflein entry, it was built in 1839, and
it can be seen on a 2011 Streetview
Bryn-daionyn, Capel Peniel (Calvinistic
Methodist). SH 8053 7185. The
Coflein entry advises that the chapel was built in 1822, and
re-built in 1888. It can be seen on a 2011 Streetview
Bryn-Rhyd-yr-arian, Capel Horeb
(Calvinistic Methodist) can be seen in a 2009 Streetview
here. SH 9585 6687.
Coflein entry dates it to 1891, a re-build of the earlier 1841
Bwlch Yr Haiarn, an Outdoor Education Centre -
possibly a former chapel? SH 778 595. © Martin Briscoe. Janet Gimber advises that it was Capel Horeb (Calvinistic Methodist), and dates back to at least 1889
(at which date it appears on an old map).
Bylchau, St. Thomas, a G. G. Scott church
consecrated in 1857. SH 9765 6300. © Martin Briscoe.
Coflein entry. About half a mile west-south-west of Bylchau sits the
former Hebron Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist).
It hasn't so far been passed by the Google van (can you provide a
photo?). SH 9700 6277. The
Coflein entry provides a date of 1852, when the chapel was built
adjacent to a Sunday School of 1812. It was in secular use by the
1980's. Coflein also
notices a Sunday School (pre-1900 at SH 9759 6293, but doesn't
mention its denomination. However it sits fairly close to St. Thomas. It
can be seen here.
Labelled on maps as Capel-y-Rhiw is where a former Ebeneser Independent
Chapel sits, in an isolated position over a mile north-north-east of Bylchau. It can be seen in a 2009 Streetview
here. The blue sign on the
gable end is a "For Sale" sign. SH 9803 6462. The
Coflein entry advises that the building is dated 1873, though this records
the enlargement of an earlier building of 1830.
Caerhun, St. Mary.
SH 777 704. © Martin Briscoe.
Capel Curig, St. Julitta. Dating from the decades either side of 1500, this was originally known as Capel
Curig, or Curig's Chapel, from which the village took its name. The chapel's name was changed in 1883 when a new church was built. Two additional views
- 1, 2. SH 718 579. All © Dennis Harper (2013). Link.
The new church was St. Curig (1883), but which has since been closed,
and is now converted to a holiday let. © Paul Wood.
Link has numerous
photos - well worth looking at for a superb mosaic.
Capel Garmon, the former St. Garmon
(CiW) dating from 1862. SH
815 554. © Mike Berrell.
Another view. Dave explains that this was originally a Chapel of
Ease to Llanwrst, and became a separate parish in 1927. There were
earlier churches on the same site. © Dave Westrap.
Link3. The former Seion
Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. SH 816 553. © Mike Berrell.
Link2. Bethania Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
stands at SH 8151 5565. The
Coflein entry supplies dates of 1846, re-built 1878, and lists it as
Calvinistic Methodist, but, as Howard Richter has advised, this is erroneous. He
points out that the Ordnance Survey maps consistently label the building as
Wesleyan, and this is supported by other sources. It can be seen on a 2010
Streetview here - the
building with the blue roller door.
Capel Siloam, Chapel, dating from 1875. SH 833 530. © Mike Berrell.
Cerrigydrudion, St. Mary Magdalene. SH 953 487. © Martin Briscoe. Another
view. © Dave Westrap. Link1.
Jerwsalem (Calvinistic Methodist, 1899). SH 952 485. © Martin
Link. The former Moriah (Moreia)
Congregational Chapel (1876) now serves as part of a medical
practise. SH 954 486. © Martin
Cwm Penmachno, St. Tudclud (1857,
replacing an earlier building). SH 790 506. A
Coflein entry, which says that the churchyard once had another
church - St. Enclydwyn, but that it fell into ruin long ago, and all
above-ground traces have vanished.
Grade II listed.
(Calvinistic Methodist, 1853, re-built 1873) stands nearby at SH 7897
A 2009 Streetview.
Coflein entry. Capel Shilo Wesleyan Chapel (1864).
SH 7595 4769. A 2011 Streetview.
Coflein entry. All © Colin Waters Collection. Howard Richter has
advised of some nearby chapels, as follows. Bethania Wesleyan Methodist
(1867) stands at SH 7898 5051, and is
grade II listed. The
Coflein entry says that it closed in 2002. A
Capel Rhyd-y-meirch (Calvinistic Methodist, 1864, re-built 1898) is at
SH 7633 4778. A 2011
Streetview. An earlier one of
2009 shows some
works being carried out.
Coflein entry. Capel Carmel (Wesleyan, 1882) stands at SH 7510 4735.
Not well seen on the
2009 Streetview - it's the white-gabled building in the distance.
Coflein entry. The former St. Enclydwyn's
Mission Church (converted from a National School in 1921) stands
just a short walk from Capel Shilo at SH 7588 4770. According to the
Coflein entry (which includes some architectural plans and illustrations),
it was converted to secular use in 1981. A
Dawn, Rehoboth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel,
which sits to the north-east of the village at SH 8701 7311. The
Coflein entry dates it to 1837 and says that it was still a chapel
in 2000. It can be seen
here on a 2011 Streetview. To the west of the village, at SH 8521
7277 is Croes-engan Welsh Presbyterian Chapel. The Coflein entry says it
is a 1906 re-build on the site of an earlier chapel of 1840. The
now-converted chapel, visible
here on a 2011
Streetview, was at the far end of the building, originally (as old maps
show) with a small porch projecting from the corner towards the road.
SJ 006 448. © Martin Briscoe.
Dolwyddelan, St. Gwyddelan (CiW).
Link2. Capel Bethel.
Moriah Chapel. All © John
Dwygyfylchi, St. Gwynin. Eglwys Gynulleidfaol Horeb. Converted chapel. All © Martin Briscoe.
Gellioedd, Independent Chapel. Its
predecessor (ruinous) stands adjacent. Both © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Groes, Capel Y Groes (Calvinistic Methodist)
can be seen in a 2009 Streetview
here. SJ 0078 6468. The
Coflein entry advises that it bears date 1862, which refers to enlargement
of the chapel, built in 1817.
Chapel. SH 795 609. © Martin Briscoe.
Gwytherin, the former St. Winifred.
Streetview only managed a
distant view of the churchyard, some photos of the church (exterior and
interior) can be seen
page is also useful). More exterior photos can be seen on the
grade II listing. SH 8767 6146.
Coflein entry. Siloh Welsh Presbyterian Chapel
(1815, re-built 1855).
It can be seen on a 2009 Streetview
here. SH 8768 6175.
Coflein entry. About a mile and a half north-east stands
Capel Cae'r Graig (Welsh Presbyterian), at
SH 8902 6352. 2009 Streetview.
Grade II listed. Old maps from between the wars show a Sunday School in an
isolated position over a mile N.W. of the village, at circa SH 8606 6229. Some
maps name the building as Tyn-y-Pant. From an inspection of more recent maps,
and satellite images, Howard Richter suspects that the building no longer
exists, but it stood among the trees in the background of this
Gyffin, Meddygfa Chapel. SH 779 769. © Mike Berrell.
Henryd, Chapel (1822). SH 769 748. © Mike Berrell.
Kinmel Bay, Kinmel Bay Church. SH 990 800. © Mike Berrell.
St. Peter. SH 760 696. Salem Chapel. SH 764
693. Both © Martin Briscoe.
Llanddulas, St. Cynbryd. SH 909 782. © Mike Berrell. An old postcard view,
from Reg Dosell's Collection. Link1.
Link2. St. Mary. SH 908 782. ©
Mike Berrell. Methodist Church
(1951) on Minffordd Road. SH 905 781. © Mike Berrell.
Llandrillo yn Rhos, St. Trillo. SH 832 806. © Mike Berrell.
Llandudno Junction, St. Michael and All Angels, on Glyn-y-Marl Road. SH 798 782. © Mike Berrell.
Another view. © Noel
Walley. Link. Former
chapel, now Canolfan Iman Centre, on Glyn-y-Marl Road. SH 797 780. © Mike Berrell.
Eglwys Bresbyteraidd Cymru at Pensarn, formerly Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, dating from 1888. SH 805 777. ©
Mike Berrell. Preswylfa Methodist Chapel
on Conwy Road. Seventh-day Adventist Church
also meets here. SH 799 778. © Mike Berrell.
St. Cystennin, on Cystennin Lane - Llangystennin
Parish Church. SH 822 792. © Noel Walley.
Llanefydd, St. Nefydd and St. Mary,
can be seen on a 2009 Streetview
here. SH 9821 7060. The
Coflein entry dates it to circa 1500, but says there are documents referring
to the church (or a predecessor) as far back as 1291.
Grade I listed. Other structures associated with the church are also listed,
and these can be accessed
here. A short distance away at SH 9816
7067 is the 1867 Capel-y-Llan (Calvinistic
Methodist) - 2009 Streetview
Coflein entry. Bryndeunydd Baptist stands at
SH 9928 6954, about a mile south-east of the village. A 2009 Streetview is
available here, and shows
the chapel (nearest to the camera), with its predecessor adjacent. The
Coflein entry dates it to 1877, and the older Scotch
Baptist Chapel (Coflein
entry) to 1823. The latter chapel is
grade II listed. Peniel Welsh Baptist Chapel is
at Pentre Isaf, about half a mile north of the village, and can be seen on
Streetview here. SH 9824
Coflein entry dates it to 1849, a re-build of its 1814 predecessor. About a
mile and a quarter south-east of the village stands
Cefn Berain (Calvinistic Methodist) at SH 9987
6929. Streetview. The
Coflein entry dates the original chapel to about
1854, with re-builds in 1864 and 1898.
(also Calvinistic Methodist) is about a mile west
of the village, at SH 9660 7042.
Streetview, and its nearby
Church Hall. The Coflein entry dates it to 1861, a re-build following two
earlier chapels of 1795 and 1826.
Grade II listed.
Llanelian, St. Elian (CiW). Two
additional views - 1,
2. SH 8635 7643. All
© Martin Richter (2011).
Link, which has numerous interior photos, including the wall paintings.
Grade II* listing, which dates the church as medieval, with a mention in a
document of 1291, and on the site of an earlier church. Details of five tombs
and a sun-dial, all grade II listed, can be found
Llanfair Talhaiarn, St. Mary
and St. Talhaearn (CiW).
Interior view. Both © John Balaam (2010).
Llangelynin, the former New Church, now an arts studio. SH 771 735. © Mike Berrell.
Grade II listed. The
Coflein entry says that
it was a late-Georgian
replacement for an earlier church, "remodelled" in 1840. Another photo of it is
Llangernyw, St. Digain can be seen on a 2009
Streetview here. It was much
restored in the nineteenth century, though substantial medieval work still
survives. SH 8750 6745.
Grade II* listed. Capel Bethabara (Welsh
Baptist) stands a little way south at SH 8745 6730. It is an 1871 re-build of an
1830 chapel. A 2009 Streetview is available
Coflein entry. A short way further south again is
Capel-y-Cwm (Calvinistic Methodist), a 1909 re-build
of an 1838 chapel) at SH 8745 6720, visible on a
Coflein entry has some external photos. About a mile ESE of the village
stands the isolated former Capel Garnedd (Calvinistic
Methodist) at SH 8891 6698. The
2009 Streetview shows the chapel behind the car, with attached house at
right angles. Another Streetview.
Llangystennin - see Llandudno.
Llanrhos, Llandudno - see Llandudno.
Llansan Sior, St. George. Interior view. SH 974 758.
Both © Mike Berrell. A former Independent Chapel
of 1866 stands some distance north of the village, at Bodoryn Cottages. It's now
in secular use. SH 9783 7725. © Mike Berrell.
Coflein entry. Howard Richter advises that the Independent Chapel had a
predecessor at SH 9747 7591, closer to the village, and now in use as a school.
It can be seen on Streeview here.
Catherine. SJ 018 444. © Martin Briscoe.
Mochdre, the former St. Mary, currently (2008) closed and awaiting sale and redevelopment. SH 827 783.
St. David (R.C., Society of St. Pius X). SH 831 792.
Link. Bron-y-Nant Crematorium Chapel. SH 828 794.
Link. All © Mike Berrell.
Moelfre, Ty Capel. SH 961 742. © Mike Berrell.
Nebo, Chapel (1867). SH 837 561. © Mike Berrell.
Padog, Chapel. SH 840 513. © Mike Berrell.
Pandy Tudur, St. David. The
Coflein entry dates it to the 1860's and has an interior and two
exterior photos. SH 8617 6472. Two 2009 Streetviews -
Capel Bethania (Calvinistic
is a re-build of 1907 of a chapel of 1826, as per the
Coflein entry. SH 8590
© Martin Briscoe.
Penmaen Rhos, Disgwylfa Addoldy yr Eglwys Fethodistraidd (Welsh
Wesleyan Methodist, 1901). SH 8791 7843. © Mike Berrell. The
Coflein entry has a good number of additional photos.
Bethel Congregational Chapel stands just a
short distance away, at SH 8782 7836. It can be seen
here on a 2009
Streetview. As Howard Richter has pointed out, the
Coflein entry for this is suspect. The grid reference is adrift
SH 8777 7830) and a date of 1881. There was another chapel nearby, shown
on O.S. maps as Presbyterian in 1900 but Congregational by 1913. This
has a grid reference of SH 8777 7834. Demolished for road widening by
1957, it stood roughly where the Streetview camera was to take this
view in 2009. Howard
suspects that this is the 1887 chapel, and which was replaced
following its demolition by Bethel.
Pensarn, St. David (CiW) on South Parade. SH 948 786. Chapel (closed) on
Towyn Road. SH 949 787. Mike thinks it might have been Presbyterian. Judy Flynn,
referencing Pevsner, and an old postcard, advises that it was indeed
Presbyterian, of the English speaking variety, and dating from 1877-8.
Pensarn Family Church (Evangelical
Alliance, Presbyterian Church). SH 949 787. All © Mike Berrell.
Pentre Isaf, Capel Cefn-Coch (Calvinistic
Methodist) can be seen in a 2009 Streetview
Coflein entry dates it to a mid 19th century re-build of an earlier
chapel of 1796, although curiously, its
grade II listing (which includes some photographs) says it
"little altered since its erection in 1796".
The former Capel Ainon (Baptist) stands
about 3/4 of a mile NE of Pentre, at SH 8825 6977, and is now in
residential use. Seen on a 2009 Streetview
Coflein entry gives it dates of 1862-1986. Lastly, about a mile NW
of Pentre is the very isolated
Codau Baptist Chapel, at SH 8637 7074. The
Coflein entry dates it to 1832, with closure in the 1980's. It says
that it "stood disused in the 1990's", but the presence of tools and
ladders in the 2009
Streetview suggests it may have been undergoing conversion
at that time.
Pentrefoelas, the Parish Church (dedication lost). SH 873 516.
in relative isolation on the west side of the B5113, about a mile and a
half north-west of the village is the former
Capel Pisgah (1878), now in secular use.
It was active at least until 1953. SH 8573 5300.
Coflein entry. Both © Mike Berrell.
the former Carmel Calvinistic Methodist/Presbyterian Chapel, which
stands in isolation some distance north-east of the settlement at
SH 8242 6297.
The link is to a 2009 Streetview. SH 8242 6297. The
Coflein entry provides a date of 1833.
Pont-Cyfyng, the former St. John the
Baptist Mission Church, as seen by Streetview in 2011. According
Coflein entry it dates to circa 1875, and had closed by 1953.
SH 7345 5683. A little further to the S.E. is a former
Calvinistic Methodist Chapel.
SH 7367 5672. © Martin Richter (2022).
Rowen, Seion Chapel. SH 758 721. © Martin Briscoe.
George - see Llansan Sior above.
Capel-y-M.C. SH 769 684. © Martin Briscoe. Another view, © Steve Bulman.
Tan-y-Fron, Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, which
stands about two miles S.E. of Llansannen. The
Coflein entry dates it to 1903, a re-build of a chapel first built in 1772
and re-built in 1837. It can be seen on a 2009 Streetview
Trefriw, St. Mary (CiW). 115 SH 780
632. © Dave Westrap. Another view. © Steve Bulman. Link.
Independent Chapel. 115 SH 780
631. © Dave Westrap.
Link. Peniel Presbyterian Church.
115 SH 780 632. © Dave Westrap.
Trofarth, the former St.
John, which stands in an isolated position about 3 miles w.s.w. of Betws-yn-Rhos,
at SH 8574 7182.
A G. G. Scott church, it was built in 1873, and, according to the
entry, planning permission for conversion to "domestic use" was ganted in
2009. The link is to a 2009 Streetview, before its (presumed) conversion.
Grade II listed.
Ty-Nant, Moriah Chapel dating from 1876. SH 990 448.
© Martin Briscoe.
Tyn-Y-Groes, Chapel. SH 775 719. © Martin
Ysbyty Ifan, St. John the Baptist. Interior view. SH 843 489.
The former Seion Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, now disused. SH 844 486. Both © Mike Berrell.
There is a small isolated chapel just over a mile north-east of the
at SH 8590 4956, the former Calvinistic Methodist
Capel Saron can be seen on a 2011 Streetview
Coflein entry dates it to 1844.