The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Abergele, Conwy

Abergele on Wikipedia.


The former Baptist Chapel (1863) on Castle Place. SH 945 779. Mike Berrell.

Eglwys Crist Addoldy'r Annibynnwyr (Congregational) on Dundonald Avenue. SH 946 779. Mike Berrell. The grade II listing dates it to 1860-1. A 2009 Streetview.

Howard Richter has advised of a Mission Hall (1891) on Groes Lwyd at SH 9449 7785. It can be seen on 2009 Streetviews here and here.

Mynydd Seion Welsh Presbyterian Church on Llanfair Road. SH 945 774. Mike Berrell.

The former Mynydd Sion Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist) on Llanfair Road. Now in secular use. SH 945 774. Mike Berrell. The grade II listing advises that it dates from 1867-8, replacing an earlier chapel of 1791 nearby.

St. Michael stands on the site of an 8th century church. Another view, the interior, and a window. SH 946 777. All Mike Berrell. An old postcard view, from John Bowdler's Collection. Link. Grade II* listing - which provides dates of building of the late 12th to early 13th century, with modifications or a re-build of circa 1400.

St. Paul's English Methodist Church (1879-80) on Market Street. SH 948 775. Mike Berrell. Grade II listed. Howard Richter has advised that old maps show that St. Paul's had a Wesleyan predecessor at SH 9484 7751. Recorded on the 1872-3 map, it was demolished sometime between 1913 and 1961. The site can be seen on a 2018 Streetview here.

St. Therese of Lisieux (R.C., 1934) on Dundonald Avenue. SH 946 779. Mike Berrell. An old postcard view, from Susan Heighes's Collection. The grade II listing says that the architect (G. Rinvolucri) designed a church in a similar style in Ludlow - see St. Peter on the Ludlow page.

 

 

 

Home

08 December 2019

Steve Bulman

Contact Details