The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Manchester, Greater Manchester
Churches in Abbey Hey, All Saints, Ancoats, Ardwick, Beswick, Blackley, Bradford, Brunswick, Burnage, Charlestown, Cheetham and Cheetham Hill, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Chorlton-on-Medlock, Clayton, Collyhurst, Crumpsall, Didsbury, East Didsbury, Fallowfield, Gorton, Greenheys, Harpurhey, Higher Blackley, Higher Openshaw, Hulme, Levenshulme, Longsight, Miles Platting, Moss Side, Moston and New Moston, Newton Heath, Northenden, Old Trafford, Openshaw, Ringway, Rusholme, Sharston, Trafford Park, Victoria Park, West Didsbury, Whalley Range, Withington, Wythenshawe. Many of these links open another page.
The former Albert Hall (Wesleyan Methodist Mission), now Brannigans Bar/Club, on Peter Street. SJ 836 979. © Mike Berrell.
Barnabus Christian Centre, "The Beacon" on Bloom Street. SJ 843 978. © Rob Brettle. Link.
The now demolished Cannon Street Independent Chapel (opened 1756, closed 1862), which stood on Cannon Street. SJ 842 988. From "Manchester Streets and Manchester Men", by T. Swindells, 1907, in Mike Berrell's Collection.
Cathedral and Collegiate church of St. Mary, St. Denys and St. George. SJ 839 988. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. Two modern views, 1, 2, both © H. Stuart Cunningham. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the Chapel of the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, all © Mike Berrell (2012). Link1. Link2.
Central Hall (Methodist Mission) on Oldham Street. SJ 846 983. © Mike Berrell. Interior view and a plaque commemorating re-building after WWII, when it was damaged by bombing. Two views of the chapel - 1, 2. All © Mike Berrell (2012).
Christ Central (a Newfrontiers Church) meet at the Comedy Store on Deansgate Locks, Whitworth Street West. Two interior view - 1, 2. SJ 835 976. All © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Church Army Centre and Charter Street Mission on Little Nelson Street. SJ 844 992. © Rob Brettle. Mike Berrell advises that this was originally the Charter Street Ragged School and Working Girls Home, and is currently Jesus Fellowship Church (Baptist). Interior view. © Mike Berrell. Entrance doorway. © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Church of Scientology on Deansgate. SJ 835 979. © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Citywide Family of God Church meet at The Place Hotel on Ducie Street. SJ 848 981. © Mike Berrell (2015). Link.
The former Congregational Church House (1900) on Deansgate. Not sure if this qualifies as a church, the name perhaps implying that it was the HQ of the Congregational Church. SJ 835 980.
The former Cross Street Chapel (Presbyterian, later Unitarian), on Cross Street. Opened in 1694, it was destroyed in WWII. SJ 839 986. Taken from "A Short History of Manchester and Salford" by F.A. Bruton, 1924, in Mike Berrell's Collection. A 1959 replacement was succeeded by the current church in 1997. © Mike Berrell. Interior view, © Mike Berrell (2011). Hanging in the present church is a plaque from the original chapel, © Mike Berrell (2011), and a photo of the 1959 church, © Mike Berrell (2011), and reproduced by kind permission of the Church Secretary. Link.
Faithlife Centre on Piccadilly. SJ 8466 9808. © Mike Berrell (2015). Link.
Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist, on Peter St. SJ 836 979. © Mike Berrell.
Independent Chapel (1858) on Bridgewater Viaduct, now in commercial use. Another view. SJ 833 975. Both © H. Stuart Cunningham. Another view, © Martin Richter (2014). Howard Richter advises that the 1893 OS map shows it as Knott Mill Congregational Church. On the 1908 and 1922 versions, it is simply Hall, and on the 1950 to 1965 maps it is Christian Science Church. A 2014 Streetview provides an alternative viewpoint, as does another of 2018. Grade II listed.
Islamic Prayer Room at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology on Sackville Street. Another view. SJ 845 978. Both © Mike Berrell (2012). Link.
Lazarus Balm Spiritist and Spiritualist Centre on Peter Street. SJ 838 979. © Mike Berrell (2015). Link.
Manchester and Salford Street Childrens Mission, Boys Home and Working Mens Church on Wood Street, off Deansgate. As the date-stone says, founded 1869, enlarged 1896, and re-built 1905. SJ 836 983. Both © Mike Berrell (2011). Two views of the facade on Bridge Street - 1, 2, and the memorial to the founder, Alfred Alsop, all © Mike Berrell (2012). Link.
Manchester Buddhist Centre on Turner Street. SJ 843 986. © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Manchester Chinese Christian Church, on Cable Street. SJ 847 988. © Rob Brettle. Another view. © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Manchester Reform Synagogue on Jackson's Row. SJ 840 980. © Mike Berrell. Two interior views - 1, 2, and a plaque, which gives a little history, all © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Former Mission Room on Camp Street. SJ 834 979. © Mike Berrell (2011).
Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries on Rochdale Road. SJ 846 990. © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
MYF (Muslim Youth Foundation) Mosque on Turner Street. SJ 843 986. © Rob Brettle. Link.
New Jerusalem (Swedenborgian) in New-Church House, on John Dalton Street. It operated as a church from 1970 to ca. 2003, and was initially retained by the church, though it had been sold by 2013. It housed a religious bookshop (closed 2013), and an archive of closed churches. The spire of St. Mary (see below) is visible over the rooftops. SJ 837 982. © Mike Berrell. Interior view, from Neil Floyd's Collection. Another one from Neil's collection shows "Manchester New Church", but there are no further details. Can you say where this one was located? Howard Richter has been researching this, and advises of this source describing two churches being built in 1890 to replace a church on Peter Street which had been sold for the construction of a school. The two new churches were on Moss Lane East in Moss Side (for which see Church of God of Prophecy Christian Centre on the Moss Side page), and one on Bury New Road - the Manchester New Church. It stood at SD 8275 4013. A tower block (Hanover Court) was built on the site of the church in 1963-4. The tower block was demolished in its turn in 2006, and the site remains undeveloped - see the 2017 Streetview here. By 2019 the growth of trees and scrub had hidden the view. As Howard observes, the two churches had a broadly similar appearance.
The former North Manchester Synagogue on Bury New Road, Strangeways, is now in commercial use. SJ 838 997. © Mike Berrell (2010).
Onward Buildings on Deansgate, built for the Band of Hope (1904), a Temperance organisation. Not sure if they held any form of services - can you advise? SJ 836 980. © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Particular Baptist Chapel (dating from 1907) on Rochdale Road. SJ 846 990. Two interior views, 1, 2. All © Mike Berrell. The following two are photos taken by Mike Berrell of photos in the church, and reproduced by kind permission of the church. An old interior view. A view of part of the former chapel, which stood on the same site, presumably dates from about 1905, since the chapel was demolished in that year, and the final services are being advertised. Gerard Charmley has advised that the pulpit (and the area behind it) were retained from the old chapel.
Religious Society of Friends Meeting House (Quakers), on Mount Street. SJ 840 980. © Mike Berrell. Two interior views - 1, 2. Both © Mike Berrell (2010). Although the present building dates from 1828 (inscribed stone), another stone explains that the burial ground was first used in 1796. Mike also advises that The Manchester Lodge of the Theosophical Society also meet here (link). © Mike Berrell (2010). Link.
Roman Catholic Chaplaincy, The Chapel of the Holy Angels, Avila House, University of Manchester, Oxford Road. Interior view. SD 847 965. Both © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
St. Ann, on St. Ann's Square. Consecrated in 1712, it is still in use. SJ 838 983. The photo, which dates from 1863, is taken from "Reminiscences of Manchester" by Louis M. Hayes, 1905, in Mike Berrell's Collection. Two modern views, 1, 2. Both © H. Stuart Cunningham. Interior view, the Lady Chapel, and the East End windows, all © John Balaam (2009). Two further interior views - 1, 2, both © Mike Berrell (2011).
St. Mary (The Hidden Gem) (R.C.) on Mulberry St. SJ 840 980. © Mike Berrell. The High Altar. Reproduced by kind permission of Iain A. Emberson. Link.
The site and surviving gravestones of St. Michael and All Angels on Angel Meadow (now Aspin Lane). The church was built in 1788, closed in 1929 and demolished in 1951. The photo shows some of the surviving gravestones laid flat next to the site of the church, which is now a park. This link has a quote saying the church was one of the ugliest in Manchester - can you supply a photo of it? SJ 844 992. © Mike Berrell. Susan Doherty has drawn my attention to the following links - the first, has a small photo of this church. The reasons for the "ugly" aspersions are not readily apparent, and the demolition date is given as 1935, rather than 1951. This pdf file has several illustrations, and also has the closing date as 1935; this one has a painting by Lowry.
Sanctus 1 meet at the Nexus Art Cafe on Dale Street. SJ 845 984. © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Shair-e-Rabbani Islamic Centre and
Mosque (on the 3rd floor, Sufi-Bareilvi) on Tariff Street and Dale Street.
SJ 847 983. © Mike Berrell (2011).
Sharp Street Ragged School has a sign listing details of Sunday Services, so is presumably a church now. SJ 845 991. © Rob Brettle. Mike Berrell advises that it seems to be unused (there's a security firm's warning notice), and has provided a photo of the sign. © Mike Berrell. Gerard Charmley has advised that the school was associated with Rochdale Road Particular Baptist Chapel, and has been sold and redeveloped into offices.
The now demolished
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
stood on Oldham Street. It opened in 1781, and was demolished in 1883; it was
replaced in 1886 by the Central Hall (see above). SJ 844 985. From "Manchester
Streets and Manchester Men", by T. Swindells, 1907, in Mike Berrell's
Cheetham and Cheetham Hill, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Chorlton-on-Medlock, Clayton, Collyhurst, Crumpsall, Didsbury.
Harpurhey, Higher Blackley, Higher Openshaw, Hulme, Levenshulme, Longsight, Miles Platting, Moss Side, Moston and New Moston, Newton Heath.
Ringway (see also Altrincham)
Victoria Park, West Didsbury, Whalley Range, Withington, Wythenshawe.
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details