Hywyn (CiW). Another view, showing the
church's spectacular situation. SH 173 264. © David Wilkinson. Another view, two interiors -
1, 2, the pulpit,
altar, and the font. Link. Grade I
listed. The former Salem
Chapel (1898), now in residential use. SH 174 266. All © Dennis Harper (2013).
Aberdyfi, St. Peter. © Chris Emms
Abererch, St. Cawrdaf. Another view. SH 396 365.
Link. (The former?) Ebenezer Chapel (1868). SH 395
365. All © Dennis Harper (2013).
Abergynolwyn, St. David.
Another view and the
bell-turret. Two interior views - 1,
2, and the font.
There are two former chapels, both on Llanegryn Street - Chapel one (from a study of various maps, Howard Richter suspects
Congregational). Chapel two,
and another view -
Howard thinks this one may have been Calvinistic Methodist. All © John Bowdler. Former
Wesleyan Chapel, now a B&B. © Chris Emms (2009).
Arthog, St. Catherine. Interior view. Both © Kenneth Paver.
Barmouth, St. John.
SH 613 158. © Dave Westrap. Interior view. © Tim Hollinghurst. Another
interior view, © Kenneth Paver (2011). St. David. SH 614 155. © Dave Westrap.
Beddgelert, St. Mary. SH 591 480. © Bill
McKenzie. Another view, and a more recent one. Both © Dave Westrap.
Interior view. © Dave Westrap. Link1.
Bethel (near Caernarfon), Addoldy'r Annibynwyr
(Independent, 1866). Since Martin took his photo, the chapel has evidently gone
out of use - see the photo
on Geograph, dated 2011, where the building displays a "Sold" sign. SH 5240
Link. Eglwys y Cysegr Bresbyteraidd
(1864). SH 5305 6538.
Link2. Both © Martin Briscoe.
Bethel (near Bala), the derelict Bethel Chapel. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Betws Garmon, St. Garmon (aka St.
Germanus), (CiW). © Bill McKenzie. Another view. © Dave Westrap. SH 535 576.
Bodernabwy, Aberdaron New Church (closed). This site has a little
history. Two additional views - 1, 2, and the
tower stairs. SH 175 273. All © Dennis Harper (2013).
Borth y Gest, St. Cyngar. SH 565
Ebenezer Presbyterian Church (dating from 1880). SH 563 375. Both © Dave Westrap.
Botwnnog, St. Beuno (CiW). SH 264 315. Link. Former(?)
Rhydback Chapel (1889, Calvinistic Methodist). Current status not known.
Another view and the date-stone. SH 262 309. All © Dennis Harper (2013).
Brithdir, St. Mark (1895-80). Now redundant, and in the care of the Friends of
Friendless Churches. Interior view. Both © John Bowdler.
Link. Brithdir Independent
Chapel (1860). Approx. SH 768 187. © Mike Berrell (2010). Former
Presbyterian Chapel, now a nursery.
SH 765 186. © Mike Berrell (2010).
Bryn-engan, Calvinistic Methodist
chapel (1908). A stone built into
one corner bears dates 1777, 1826 and 1870. SH 452 439.
Two additional views - 1,
2, the latter showing the ghosts of
former attached buildings. All © Howard Richter (2014).
Bryncir, Soar Chapel (1868). The
date-stone also bears the initials
T.C., which Howard advises stand for Trefnyddion Calfinaidd, or Calvinist
you are a Welsh speaker). Another stone commemorates Henry Hughes, minister here
and at Bryn-engan for nearly 45 years. A noted historian, you can see more about
here. SH 480 447.
© Howard Richter (2016).
Bryncrug, Presbyterian Church, built as Calvinistic Methodist (1883). The
gravestone of Mary Jones (see here for her story). The former
Methodist Chapel (previously Wesleyan). Former Chapel at SH 609 031. By an
examination of old maps, Howard Richter has determined that this was Capel Saron (Independent). Another view. A close-up of the stone above the door.
St. Matthew no longer in use as a church). All © John Bowdler.
Brynrefail, the Presbyterian Chapel. © Martin
Bwlch-derwin, the former Calvinistic
Methodist chapel, now converted to residential use.
Another view. SH 461 469. Both
© Howard Richter (2014).
Link. The property was for sale in 2010, so the chapel must have closed no
later than this. The Estate Agents
sale notice has interior photos (greyed out, unfortunately).
Caerdeon, St. Philip. The reredos. SH 651
181. Both © Kenneth Paver (2011).
Bangor), an unidentified chapel. © Martin Briscoe.
Capel-y-beirod. © Bill McKenzie.
Cefn-Ddwysarn, Chapel (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist). SH 965 384. © Peter Morgan (2013).
Grade II listed.
Ceidio Fawr, St. Ceidio (CiW). Interior view. SH 287 381. Both © Dave
Clynnog Fawr, St. Beuno (CiW). Another view.
Interior view. SH 414 496. All © Dave Westrap. Link1.
Corris, Holy Trinity on Bridge Street. SH
754 077. © Bill McKenzie. Another view, ©
Richard Roberts (2015).
Cwm Fynfal (near Ffestiniog), the former Capel Babell (1904), now converted to residential use. SH 718 412. ©
Martin Richter (2014). It was preceded by a smaller Calvinistic Methodist Chapel of 1861 at circa SH 7207 4115. The overgrown site, is shown
here (external website),
on the left-hand side of the road. More details (and photos of masonry)
Cwm Penmachno, St. Tudclud. Salem Chapel.
Capel Shilo Wesleyan Chapel (1864). All © Colin Waters Collection.
Cwmtirmynach, Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Cwn-y-glo. © Bill McKenzie.
Deiniolen, Ebenezer Chapel, or Capel Ebenezer (Welsh Congregational). Also known locally as
Capal Eban. © Martin Briscoe. Previously listed as demolished, thanks to Eric Jones for advising that the chapel is still in use as a united chapel.
Dolgellau, St. Mary. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern
view, © Stuart Mackrell.
Dolhendre, Carmel Capel (1839, re-built 1893). © Peter Morgan (2014).
Four Crosses, Ebenezer Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. Originally built as the Sunday School, sometime between 1901
and 1917, the congregation transferred here when the neighbouring chapel was demolished. The original chapel stood at the right of the school (as seen
in the photo in this entry), and was still standing when the 1980-93 OS map was compiled. Originally built in 1815, re-built and enlarged in 1862, it
was demolished in the 1990's, according to
A photo of the chapel
is available here. SH 3978 3908. © Martin Richter (2011).
Glan-yr-Afon, St. James the Greater.
Built 1861-4 to a design by Sir George Gilbert Scott.
SJ 027 425.
Both © Peter Morgan (2012).
Grade II listed.
Llawrbettws Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist). The date-stone has dates 1803 (built), 1835
(enlarged) and 1865 (re-built). It was also further altered in 1890. SJ
© Peter Morgan (2012).
Another view, and an
interior view, both © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Grade II listed.
the site of
Capel Bethel Independent Chapel (1868). SH 704 419. © Howard Richter (2012).
Llanberis, St. Padarn. SH 578
599. © Bill McKenzie.
Link2. St. John Jones (R.C.).
SH 577 604. © Dave Westrap.
Llanddeiniolen, the chapel in
St. Deiniol Cemetery. SH 545 659. © Dave Westrap.
Llandderfel, St. Derfel (CiW). Another view.
Chapel. All © Peter Morgan (2012).
Llandecwyn, Llandecwyn Church.
Two further views - 1,
2. SH 633 376. All © Gordon Reed.
Llandrillo, St. Trillo (CiW). Capel Herman (Presbyterian Church of Wales, 1881). Capel
Hananeel (Congregational, 1826, re-built 1879). The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (Peter thinks it might be
Capel Seion, 1804), now a private residence. All
© Peter Morgan (2012).
Llandwrog, St. Twrog (Anglican). SH 451 560.
© Dave Westrap. An old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection.
Llandygai, St. Tegai. © Tim Hollinghurst.
Llanengan, St. Engan. © Martin Briscoe.
Llanfaglan, St. Baglan (CiW) - in the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches - only holds the occasional service.
Two further views - 1, 2. SH 455 606. All © Dave Westrap.
Llanfair-is-gair, St. Mary. © Jill Couthard.
Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, St. Michael. Its lovely, simple
671 089. Both
© John Bowdler. Link. Howard Richter has advised
that there was a Capel Sardis nearby at about SH 673 089. Built in 1820, and now
ruinous, some photos are available
here. Its licence for marriages was
cancelled in 2000, so it was out of use before this date. Can you advise if it still exists?
LLanfor, the redundant St. Mor & St. Deiniol (CiW), for sale in 2012. © Peter Morgan (2012).
Llanfrothen, St. Brothen. Now under
the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches, it is
Grade I listed. Another view, and an
All © Iain Taylor.
Llangelynin, the former New Church, now an arts studio. SH 769 718. © Mike Berrell.
Llangian, St. Cian. Another view, and two interiors -
1, 2, and the font, dated
1638. SH 297 291. Link. Smyrna Calvinistic
Methodist Chapel (1878) - not known if still active. SH 296 289. All © Dennis Harper (2013).
Llangower, St. Cywair or St. Gwyr. SH
904 323. © Eirian Evans.
Grade II listed.
Glyn. SH 912 315. © John Bowdler (1992). It is marked on older maps as a
church (at least as recently as 1979), but no longer, and has presumably been
converted to residential use.
Llanllechid, Eglwys Santes Llechid. © Martin
Llanllyfni, St. Rhedwi. © Martin Briscoe.
Llannor, Church in Wales. SH 353 372.
© Dave Westrap. Link1.
Llanrug, the former Capel Llanrug, now owned by a business. Probably the fourth chapel on the site, as a plaque lists the
dates 1798, 1822, 1842 and 1867. SH 534 634. © Dave Westrap.
Bryngwyn Congregational Chapel
on Ffordd Bryngwyn, © Janet Gimber (2015).
Llanstumdwy, St. John the Baptist. © Bill
Llanuwchllyn, St. Deinion. © Eirian Evans. Ainon Baptist Chapel (1840 -
date-stone), both © Peter Morgan (2014).
Llanycil, St. Beuno. © Eirian Evans.
Minffordd, the site of Capel Minford. The house at left stands on the site of the chapel, the other building was the
Infant School, also shown here. The chapel was built before 1889, when it shows on the map of that year. The school had
been built by 1901, although its original use may not have been as a school, as a recent planning application described it as a "Former Chapel Vestry". The
congregation merged with Capel Y Porth in Portmadog in 2009. SH 585 384. Both © Martin Richter (2014).
Nant Peris. ©
Nefyn, St. David (Dewi Sant). SH 306 415.
Link2. The former St. Mary now serves as a Maritime Museum. SH
308 406. Link1. Link2.
Soar Independent Church. SH 306 405. All © Dave Westrap.
(or Pantglas, Pant-Glas, or Pant-Glās), Libanus Chapel, (Calvinistic Methodist,
1868 - date-stone, ). There is
another date-stone above the
door. Two additional views - 1,
2. SH 472 473. All © Howard Richter
Parc, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel.
Originally built in 1810, it was (according to this
link), re-built and/or modified in 1852 and 1875. SH 876 339. © Peter Morgan (2013).
Pennal, St. Peter ad Vincula.
The porch, and two interior views -
All © John Bowdler. Another view, and
interior view, both © Rosemary Groves
Link. The former Carmel Welsh Independent Chapel (1869, repaired 1908, for sale
2009). © John Bowdler. Another view. © Chris Emms (2009).
Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (1871). © John Bowdler. Another view. © Chris Emms (2009).
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Eglwys St.
Pedr. Former Chapel, possibly in the process of
being converted. Janet Gimber advises that this was Calvinistic Methodist, and has indeed been converted. All © Martin Briscoe.
Pentir, St. Cedol. © Martin Briscoe.
Pentrefelin, the Parish Hall, which
was originally built as a church, sited to be more convenient for the villagers,
as the parish church (St. Cynhaeam) was some distance away. Dating from the
1930's, it was designed by
Williams-Ellis, most famous as the designer of Portmeirion, the setting for
the cult TV series, The
Prisoner. Another view, and
the interior. SH 528 398.
Grade II listed. The site of
the demolished Capel Tabor (Congregational). The
gateway to the site appears to
be original. SH 5226 3997.
Link. All © Howard Richter (2012).
Pont Rhyd-sarn, Peniel Chapel (1895). © Peter Morgan (2014).
Rhiw, Nebo Chapel. Another view. The date-stone
bears dates of 1813, 1856 and 1876. SH 227 277. All © Dennis Harper (2013). Link.
Rhoshirwaun, Saron Chapel (1903). SH 196 293. Bethesda Baptist Chapel
(1904 - date-stone). SH 197 296. All ©
Dennis Harper (2013).
Rhos-y-gwaliau, former church (CiW, Holy Trinity, both confirmed by Howard Richter).
Another view. SH 944 345. The former Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (1881), which Howard advises is shown on the 1901 OS
map as Capel Rhosgwaliau. SH 943 347. All © Peter Morgan (2012).
Tal-y-bont (near Bala), Methodist Church (1870). SH 900 378. © Peter Morgan (2014).
Tal-y-bont (near Bangor), St. Cross
(1892). Interior view.
SH 609 708. Both © Tim Hollinghurst.
Grade II listed. Bethlehem Chapel -
this is an 1860 re-build of an 1825 chapel. SH 605 705. © Dave Westrap.
Tal-y-Llyn, St. Mary. © John Bowdler.
Tan-y-Grisiau, Capel Carmel (Independent) - taken from the Ffestiniog Railway. Perhaps no longer in use? SH 687 450. ©
Martin Richter (2011). Another view, © Martin Richter (2014). The former
Capel Moriah at SH 685 451. The date of the building is not apparent, though it is at least as old as 1888-9, when it appears on a map of that vintage as
Baptist Chapel (General). The 1901 shows it as Capel Moriah (Baptist). Date of closure is also uncertain, though it appears to have been defunct before 2002,
when a planning application has it as residential at that time. Another view. Both © Martin Richter (2014).
Trawsfynydd, St. Madryn (CiW).
Another view. A notice at the church
dated 2012 announces the proposed closure of this church. One must assume that
this has happened. An information board nearby says that
St. John Roberts
was probably baptised here. SH 706 356.
Grade II listed. Capel Moriah (Presbyterian). SH 707 356. Another
view. The statue is of the poet
Hedd Wyn (born Ellis Humphrey Evans), a
native of Trawsfynydd. Link1.
Link2, which says it was
first built in 1798, and re-built in 1839, 1870, with the present building from 1885.
Grade II listed. Capel
Sion (Scotch Baptist, 1897 - date-stone). Another view. It
may seem odd to find Scotch Baptists here, but Howard has found this reference which says that
Merionethshire had another 8 such chapels. Here is an interesting article on the movement.
SH 708 355. All © Howard Richter (2012). The former Capel Y Wern (Calvinistic Methodist). Built in 1897, it was
converted to a private residence in 1967. From map evidence it appears to have closed between 1953 and 1963-4. Two further views -
1, 2. SH 714 360. All © Howard Richter (2013).
Treflys, St. Michael (CiW). Three
additional views - 1,
2, 3. SH 535 378.
All © Howard Richter (2012).
Grade II listed,
from which we learn that the church is (probably) mainly C14, with a major
restoration in the late 1880's.
dedicated to St. Mary. © Bill McKenzie.
- link to a BBC article, with photo.
Tyn-y-coed. © Bill McKenzie.
Waunfawr. © Bill
Werglodd, the Old Chapel. Notice -
which Howard Richter advises refers to temporary closure of the building for
Both © Peter Morgan (2012).
Link. Grade II listed.
Felinheli, St. Mary. SH 518 668. © Dave Westrap.
Ystolhelyg Bach, the former Horeb Chapel (1901) at SH 158 264.
Capel Uwchmynydd (1904). SH 155 264. Both © Dennis Harper (2013).