East Lothian on Wikipedia.
the Parish Church. © Bill Henderson.
A winter view, and the East Window, both © Revd. Norman Faulds.
Norman advises that the central panel of the window is based on Botticelli's "Madonna and Child" which is now in the
National Gallery of Scotland.
The fabric of the church is late C15 (tower), C16 and C17 (aisles), with
a Victorian renovation (1887). Link.
Belhaven, Church of
Scotland. NT 6678. © Bill Henderson.
Bolton, the Parish Kirk. © James Denham. Link.
and Port Seton, Viewforth Port Seton Gospel Hall. © Bill Henderson. Cockenzie Old Parish Church. © James Denham.
Parish Church. Two more views - 1,
2. NT 5127 8422. All © Steve Bulman
which dates it to 1612, on the site of a medieval predecessor. The village also
had a Free Church, now demolished. It stood off
Manse Road, south of the western corner of the village green, at NT 5146 8381.
here to post-1843 to 1936. Its site isn't viewable on Streetview, but
the access road to where the site was is seen
here in a Streetview from
Dunbar, the Parish Church. © Bill Henderson. Link.
East Linton, Prestonkirk Church (CoS). Another
view. NT 592 778. Grade A listed. The former
St. Kentigern (R.C., closed before 1990) on High Street, now a private residence.
Another view. NT 591 773. Link. The former
Free Church. It pre-dates 1879, when it is reported as being "improved". The spire is of the "Rhenish helm" type,
and rare in Britain. NT 552 792. Three views of the former United Presbyterian Church - 1,
2, 3. What may be this building shows on the OS map of 1854-5; it is
certainly shown on the 1894 map, and on the next map (1907, which is after the union) it shows as "U. F. Church". It continues as such on the 1938 map, but by
the 1957 edition it shows as "U. F. Church (Dis.)". There is some indication that it was subsequently in use as a Masonic Hall. NT 592 773. All © Howard Richter (2013).
© Bill McKenzie.
Garvald, the Parish Kirk. © James Denham.
Gifford, the Yester Parish Church. Jim
Napier and James Denham advise that the Rev. John Witherspoon, son of the
one-time vicar here (also John Witherspoon), was the only cleric to sign the
American Declaration of Independence (though he signed as Governor of Princeton
and Principal of Princeton College), and that the American system of government
owes much to this Presbyterian influence.
Another view. NT 5348 6810. Both © Steve Bulman (2021).
Grade A listed, wherein it's dated to 1708-10. |The village also had a
Free Church. According to its
entry, it pre-dates a map of 1853, and has been converted into two houses -
the one nearer the road being seen in a Streetview from 2011
here. TL 5370 6809.
Gullane, the ruins of St. Andrew.
Gullane Parish Church (CoS).
Link. St. Adrian (Episcopal).
Link. St. Peter. All © Steve
St. Mary. NY 5188 7362. © Bill McKenzie.
Grade A listed. Haddington West (CoS)
on Court Street is labelled on older maps as a Free Church. NT 5119
7389. © Steve Bulman. Link.
Holy Trinity (Episcopal) on Church
NT 5180 7387. © Steve Bulman. Link.
Grade B listed. St. Mary
(R.C.) on Poldrate, as seen by Streetview in 2021. It's dated
here to 1962, though this looks too late for the style of the building, and
a church with the same footprint shows on the O.S. map of 1895. NT 5178 7354.
Humbie, Humbie Kirk (CoS).
Another view. Both © Steve Bulman.
Innerwick, Church of Scotland.
© James Denham (2010).
Inveresk, St. Michael's Parish Kirk. © James Denham.
Church of Scotland. © James Denham (2010).
St. Peter (Episcopal). © Bill Henderson. Former
Salvation Army Hall, now a nursery. © Rob Brettle.
Carberry Tower Chapel. © Alex Parker. Link.
Oldhamstocks, Church of
Scotland. © James Denham (2010).
Port Seton - see Cockenzie above.
Prestonpans. Previously listed as Cockenzie and Port Seaton Old Parish Church, James
Denham has advised that this church is Prestongrange Parish Church. © Bill Henderson.
Salvation Army Hall. © Rob Brettle.
Stenton, the Parish Kirk. © James Denham. Link.
the Parish Kirk. © James Denham. Link.
Salvation Army Hall. © Rob Brettle.
St. Mary. © Bill Henderson.
Three further views - 1,
3, two interior views -
2, and the
font, all © Steve Bulman (2017).