The Churches of Britain and Ireland


Leicester, Leicestershire

Leicester on Wikipedia.

Churches in Aylestone, Belgrave, Blackfriars, Braunstone, Clarendon Park, Highfields, Humberstone, New Parks, South Fields, South Wigston, Spinney Hills, Stoneygate, Westcotes, Western Park. Some links open another page.

Abbey Ruins. An Augustinian foundation (1143). SK 585 060. From an old postcard (franked 1907) in Steve Bulman's Collection. Link1. Link2. Grade I listed.

All Saints on Highcross Street. This church is redundant (closed 1982), and is in the care of Churches Conservation Trust. SK 583 048.  George Weston. Link1. Link2. Grade I listed.

The Baptist Church on Archdeacon Lane and Thames Street opened in 1836 and lasted exactly 100 years, closing in 1936. It has since been demolished. A photo is available here, and its site is under the section of road seen here on a 2019 Streetview. SK 5887 0519.

Former Baptist Church (1845) on Belvoir Street, now part of the City Libraries. SK 589 042.  George Weston.

The former Baptist Chapel on Dover Street dates from circa 1823. It survives (much altered) as the Little Theatre. Photos from around 1900, and of the theatre today are available here (scroll down). SK 5903 0416.

For the Baptist Church on Friar Lane, see the Friar Lane and Braunstone Baptist Church entry in the Braunstone section below.

The former Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist Chapel (on Belgrave Gate), taken from "History of the Primitive Methodist Church" by H.B. Kendall. Internal evidence suggests a publication date of ca. 1905. This source dates it to 1882 (replacing a chapel of 1819 at the corner of George Street and Bedford Street), and closed by 1937, in which year it was sold to the Co-op. The building is hardly recognizable in this modern photo. In a Streetview from 2019, St. Mark can also be seen by looking further to the right. SK 5896 0516. Scan and photo both  Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Bishop Street Methodist Church was built as Wesleyan. SK 589 043. Graeme Harvey. Link. Another view,  George Weston.

Central Baptist Church.  Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.

Christ Church (U.R.C.) on Barbara Road and Dumbleton  Avenue in Rowley Fields, as seen by Streetview in 2022. Some photos (including interiors) can be seen here. SK 5705 0230. Link.

Church of the Martyrs (1890) on Westcotes Drive. From an old postcard in Paul E. Barnett's Collection. Link.

Gospel Church on York Street.  George Weston.

Great Meeting Unitarian Church on East Bond Street and Causeway Lane.  Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.

Leicester has at least three Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. One stands on Knowles Road at SK 5539 0545 and was seen by Streetview in 2022. A second is on Checketts Road at SK 5958 0710, seen by Streetview in 2021. Close-ups of the notice board show that it has several non-English speaking congregations. The third is on Lothair Road AT SK 5838 0205, and was seen by Streetview in 2014.

St. Andrew (1860-2 by Sir George Gilbert Scott) on Jarrom Street. SK 585 037.  George Weston. Link. Grade II* listed.

St. John the Divine, now flats.  George Weston.

St. Leonard was of medieval foundation but demolished, allegedly in 1645, during the civil war. Not re-built until necessitated by city growth in the 19th century, it was consecrated in 1877, closed in 1981 (news item) and demolished (photos) soon after. It stood on the corner of Woodgate and Abbey Gate at SK 57990 0542 - a Halfords occupied the site in 2021, as seen here by Streetview. An old photo of it can be seen here. Link.

Leicester Royal Infirmary used to have St. Luke's Chapel (link is to an external website). News item, which implies that demolition was imminent, and another source confirms that it was demolished in February 2015.

St. Margaret on Churchgate, in a 1900 view. SK 585 051. From George Weston's collection. A modern view. An Eritrean Orthodox congregation also meets here.  George Weston. Link1. Link2. Link3 (with interior photo). Link4. News item (vandalism). Grade I listed.

The former St. Mark (1869-72, by Ewan Christian) on Foundry Lane. SK 591 054. St. Mark's was a stopping point for the Jarrow marchers. A statue of St. George the Martyr now in St. Mary de Castro came from this church (see here, close to the bottom of the page). It was closed in 1985; restoration followed in 2005, and it is now the Empire Banqueting and Conference Hall - see here.  George Weston. Link. Grade II* listed.

St. Mary de Castro on Castle Yard. SK 583 042. From a postcard franked in 1903. A modern view, from the Castle Gardens. Alan Craxford. Link1 - see also the history page, which says that the church is temporarily closed for repairs to the spire, for more on which, see here. Link. Grade I listed.

St. Martin, Leicester's Cathedral on Guildhall Lane, was elevated to cathedral status in 1927. SK 5850 0445. From a postcard of unknown date, in the collection of Mrs. Marion Allen. Appropriately, the following photos were added during the week that Richard III was due to be buried here (link) - 1, 2, 3, all Howard Richter (2015). Link1. Link2. Grade II* listed.

St. Phillip (1909-13) on Evington Road, successor to a tin church of 1904. Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

Salvation Army hall on Kildare Street. SK 590 047. Graeme Harvey.

The Greek Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas and St. Xenophon on Aylestone Road, previously All Souls (1904, by G. F. Bodley). SK 586 031. George Weston. Link. Grade II* listed.

Zion Chapel on Erskine Street, now offices.  George Weston.

The 1955 Baptist Church (2022 Streetview) on Lutterworth Road. It was successor to what is now the church hall of 1932 - which I suspect stands behind today's church, in turn successor to the 1871 Baptist Church on Sanvey Lane (for which see the next entr
y). SK 5721 0069. Link.
Church of Christ on Sanvey Lane, seen by Streetview in 2022, before the current congregation took up residence. At that time it was the former New Life Apostolic Church (1996-2012) - 2012 Streetview, and it had first been Particular Baptist (1871-1932), as well as having periods in secular use. SK 5716 0085. Link.
Mortuary Chapel in Saffron Hill Cemetery on Stonesby Avenue. A 1929 building by E. P. Mawson. SP 5890 9970. Richard Roberts (2016). Grade II listed.
Saffron Lane U.R.C. on Saffron Lane. SK 5822 0018. Richard Roberts (2015). Link.
St. Andrew on Old Church Street was seen by Streetview in 2016 and 2011. SK 5717 0100. Link. Some history here (scroll down). Grade II* listed. The churchyard war memorial is also listed, as grade II.
St. Edward the Confessor (R.C.) on Aylestone Road, as seen by Streetview in 2022
. This source says it was opened in 1922. SK 5757 0123. Link. News item on its centenary celebrations.

St. Peter on Vicarage Lane. SK 593 072.  George Weston. Closed no later than 2011, as of 2014 it is for sale. Link (includes interior photos). Sale Document. Planning Brief (large download). Grade II* listed.

St. Nicholas on St. Nicholas Circle. Of 9th century foundation, and possibly a cathedral later on. Another view. SK 582 045. Both from old postcards in Steve Bulman's Collection. Another old postcard view,
from Paul E. Barnett's Collection. A modern view, showing considerable change to the tower. Howard Richter (2015). Link1. Link2. Grade I listed.

Blessed Sacrament (R.C.) on Gooding Avenue. Another view. SK 5606 0347. Both Howard Richter (2023). Link. The history page dates its opening to 1957, replacing a temporary wooden church of 1938 on the same site.

Braunstone Evangelical Free Church (2022 Streetview) stands on the east side of Didsbury Road. SK 5536 0348. Church website, and history page, which dates the congregation to 1949, but the present church building is from the 1960's.
Friar Lane and Braunstone Baptist Church on Braunstone Avenue and Hallam Crescent East. Another view. SK 5594 0265. Both Howard Richter (2023). Link. The history page dates it to 1962. Its predecessor stood on the north side of Friar Lane in central Leicester. (The history page already mentioned also includes information about this demolished chapel, and its predecessors). A map of 1885 labels it as Baptist Chapel (General). SK 5846 0423. Its site now lies beneath the offices seen here in a Streetview from 2022.
St. Peter (R.C., 1978) on Hinckley Road was seen by Streetview in 2019 and 2015
. SK 5772 0406. It was preceded by St. Peter on King Richard's Road. Built in 1905, it was demolished for a road scheme, closing in 1978. A photo of it can be seen here (scroll down). A 2016 Streetview shows the scene today - the frontage of the church would have been about where the top of the grassy area is. SK 5791 0435. Link.
Trinity Methodist Church on Narborough Road.  George Weston.
Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ on Fosse Road South, formerly the Hinckley Road Methodist Church.  George Weston.
U.R.C. on Gooding Avenue. It's probably this church which this source dates to sometime after 1939 (as Congregational), when the plot of land was purchased. Another view
. SK 5566 0397. Both Howard Richter (2023). Link.

Clarendon Park
Clarendon Park Congregational Church.  Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Leicester Synagogue on Highfield Street.  Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.
Melbourne Hall Evangelical Church on St. Peter's Road was built for the preacher F. B. Meyer.  Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.
New Testament Church of God, originally Highfields Primitive Methodist Chapel.  Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
St. James the Greater (1895-1901) on London Road.  George Weston. SK 600 033. Link. A pdf file is available of "The Building of St. James the Greater" by Alan McWhirr, which contains photos plans and drawings. Grade II* listed.
Seventh-day Adventist Church on London Road, originally a Baptist Chapel. SK 596 037.  Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).


New Parks
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on New Parks Boulevard, as seen by Streetview in 2022. SK 5539 0545.
Mother of God (R.C.) on Greencoat Road, as seen by Streetview in 2016, and in 2022. This source (which includes interior photos) dates its opening to 1957. SK 5544 0529. Link.
New Parks Methodist Church (2022 Streetview) is
on Battersbee Road. It was built no earlier than the 1960's. SK 5555 0581. Link.
St. Aidan on St. Oswalds Road, as seen by Streetview in 2019. It's a Basil Spence church, and dated here to 1957-9. Many more photos here (on the Images tab). SK 5562 9566. Link.
The Salvation Army has a church (2021 Streetview) on Aikman Avenue. SK 5569 0573. Link.

South Fields
Holy Trinity on Regent Road.  George Weston. An old postcard view, from Steve Bulman's Collection. Link. Grade II listed.
St. Stephen (U.R.C., previously Presbyterian) on New Walk. From a postcard of unknown date, in the collection of Mrs. Marion Allen. Link.

South Wigston.

Spinney Hills
The former St. Saviour on St. Saviour's Road. Built 1875-7, designed by Sir G. G. Scott, and closed in the mid-2000's. SK 604 049.  George Weston. News item. News item on sale of church in 2014, and estate agents document with good photo. . Grade II* listed.
True Jesus Church, formerly Parry Street Methodist Church.  George Weston.
Wesley Hall on Mere Road.  George Weston.

Stoneygate Baptist Church on London Road.  Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.

Church of the Martyrs on Westcotes Drive.  George Weston. Link. Grade II listed.
U.R.C. on Hinckley Road.  George Weston.

Western Park
St. Anne (1934) on Letchworth Road.  George Weston. Grade II listed.
St. Andrew (Methodist) on Glenfield Road East.  George Weston. It is obvious from the nearest corner of the church that a spire was either intended but not built, or built and later removed. Some illustrations from Alan Craxford's Collection show that it was the latter. A drawing from a magazine of 1880 shows the church as designed, with spire. A photo of circa 1902 shows the church with spire, as does another of circa 1920. An undated newspaper cutting from the Leicester Mercury (but probably 1968) has photos of the church in March 1954 with spire, another of May 1954 with spire and scaffolding, and a presumably contemporaneous photo of 1968 without. It also has the comment that the church was previously known as King Richard's Road Methodist Church.
The former St. Paul (1870-1) on Kirby Road.  George Weston. Another view. Alan Craxford. An old postcard view of the Lady Chapel. From Alan Craxford's Collection. The following old photos are from a book, "Fifty Years of Church, Men and Things at St. Paul's Leicester 1871-1921", by John Edward Hextall and Arthur L. Brightman, published in 1921, and now in Alan Craxford's Collection - the church, and three interior views - 1, 2, 3. The church as originally designed would have had a very tall spire of 190 feet. Planning application. Grade II listed.




19 September 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details