The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Halifax, West Yorkshire
Churches in Boothtown
Carlton U.R.C. on Carlton Terrace and Harrison Road. SE 0916 2491. © David Regan (2010).
Christian Science Church on Savile Road and Well Head Lane. SE 091 247. © Gerard Charmley (2013).
Ebenezer Methodist Church on St. James Road and Pellon Lane, built as Primitive Methodist in 1922. It was successor to another building on the same site which was about 100 years older. SE 0910 2529. © Michael Bourne. Another view, © Martin Richter (2014). Link.
Grace Baptist Church on Roils Head Road, Pellon, a plant from Mount Zion in Hebden Bridge (for which see the Hebden Bridge page). SE 0624 2531. © David Regan (2021). Church website and history.
Heath U.R.C on Free School Lane, formerly Congregational. SE 0889 2399. © Gerard Charmley (2013). Link.
The former Holy Trinity, now in use as offices. SE 0912 2482. © David Regan (2010).
Lee Mount Baptist Church, on Melbourne Street. SE 0842 2641. © Michael Bourne. Link.
New Testament Church of God. SE 0867 2494. © Michael Bourne. Link.
Northgate-end Chapel (Unitarian, 1872). This may be the otherwise unidentified Chapel on the 25" O.S. map of 1907, at the junction of Northgate and Victoria, at SE 0938 2541. If this is correct, its site now lies beneath the trees seen in a Streetview from 2021. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
Park U.R.C. on Francis Street and Hopwood Lane. SE 0835 2502. © Michael Bourne. Evidently now closed, a 2016 Streetview shows it in use as an Islamic Charitable organisation.
Sacred Heart and St. Bernard (R.C.) on Range Lane, Haley Hill. SE 0929 2602. © David Regan (2020). Link (has an interior photo).
St. John the Baptist. From an old postcard (franked 1905) in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view, the seventeenth century pews, the Duke of Wellington Regiment Chapel, and gargoyles. SE 0975 2521. All photos © Stan Walker. Another view, © Stuart Leadley (2011). Link.
St. Mark (1915) on Whitegate Road, Siddal. SE 0984 2382. It replaced an earlier tin tabernacle of 1861 with the same dedication on the opposite side of Whitegate Road, a little further north, at SE 0975 2394. I've been unable to find a photo, but the site can be seen here on a 2009 Streetview. © David Regan (2020). Link.
St. Mary and St. Alban (R.C.) on Gibbet Street and Clarence Street. SE 0879 2522. © Michael Bourne. Interior view, © Mike Forbester. Link.
Old St. Paul at King Cross (1847). Only the spire survives, a roof collapse resulting in demolition in 1930. A pre-demolition photo is available here. SE 0782 2431. © Stuart Mackrell. Its replacement stands nearby on West Royd Avenue, at SE 0799 2447. Link, which has a photo of the present church.
St. Stephen at Copley, now cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust. Another view. SE 0847 2232. Both © Paul Marshall. Link.
The former St. Thomas the Apostle (1860) on St. Thomas Street, Claremount. Its grade II listing dates it to 1857-61. David advises that it had a spire until 1967. Another view. SE 0981 2584. Both © David Regan (2020). More photos, including some of the interior, are available here, and several photos here show it with spire.
Salvation Army Hall on St. James Road. SE 0905 2540. © Rob Brettle (2009).
Square Chapel (1772),
on Square Road is now used as an arts venue. SE 0961 2507. © David Regan
(2010). Another view, © Stuart Leadley
(2011. The adjacent
Square Congregational Church
was opened in 1857 and most of it demolished in 1976, leaving the spire. © David Regan (2010).
Another view, © Stuart Leadley (2011).
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details