Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Wakefield on Wikipedia.
Churches in Eastmoor, Kettlethorpe, Sandal
or Sandal Magna,
Stanley and Stanley Ferry,
Saints Cathedral, originally the parish church. SE 332 208. From an old postcard in
Collection. A modern view.
The church is 14th century, with a 15th century spire. Extensive repairs were
carried out in Victorian times by G. G. Scott. It was elevated to cathedral
status in 1888. © Stan Walker. Another view, © Mehmood Naqshbandi,
and another, © Bill
This postcard is © Chris Cole (whose company publishes the postcard).
Interior view, and the
altar, both © Mike Forbester.
Baptist Church on Belle Isle Avenue.
Another view. Both © David Regan (2011).
Cemetery Chapel on Sugar Lane, only a tower remains. © David Regan (2011).
Chantry Chapel of St. Mary - one of the few bridge chapels to
have survived. SE 3382 2014. © Bill Henderson. Two further views - 1,
2, and and the blue plaque, giving some history, all
© Bill Henderson (2012). Another
view, the interior
and the font, all ©
David Regan (2021).
Another interior view, © Mike Forbester.
Grade I listed.
Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints on Denby Dale Road. © David Regan (2011).
Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel. © David Regan (2012).
Martyrs (R.C.). © Bill Henderson.
Friends' Meeting House.
© David Regan (2011).
The former Grove Road Methodist
Church has been converted into flats. © David Regan (2011).
Church at West Wakefield. This has recently been closed down and sold, being replaced
by this church. Both © Bill Henderson.
New Life Christian Centre on George Street.
SE 332 205. © David Regan (2011).
St. Andrew and St.Mary with St. Swithun. SE 338 208. © Bill
St. Austin (R.C.). © Bill
Henderson. Interior view,
© Mike Forbester.
St. Catherine (1995) on Doncaster Road. © Bill Henderson.
This replaced an earlier church, now
ruinous. This link has interior photos of the present church, and a
photo of the old church (1871), which was destroyed by a fire in 1993.
This one shows the font of the old
St. Faith at the Stanley Royd Hospital. Another view. SE 338
215. Both © David
Regan (2011). Another view, © Bill Henderson (2012).
St. George at Lupset. © David Regan (2011). Link.
St. James at Chapelthorpe. © Bill
St. James at Thornes. © Bill Henderson. Although previously listed as a possible former church
(on Denby Dale Road), Janet Gimber has advised that this was the Parochial Church Hall for St. James. Up for sale in 2008, it is now (2011) in use as a
funeral parlour. ©
St. John. © Bill Henderson.
St. Michael the Archangel, at
Westgate Common. © Bill Henderson.
Another view. SE 324 204. © Mehmood Naqshbandi.
St. Paul at Alverthorpe. © Bill
Salvation Army Hall on Vicarage
Street. SE 334 209. © Bill Henderson (2012).
Trinity Methodist Church on Norton Road.
Another view. Both © David Regan (2011). Link.
United Free Methodist Church on Market Street. © David Regan
at Flanshaw. © Bill Henderson.
Wakefield Cemetery Chapel, now
presumably demolished, is shown on an external website, with dates of 1900-1980.
Wakefield Prison Chapel (1845-1979), when it was destroyed by a fire).
The photo link is to an external website.
National Church on Peterson Road. SE 337 207. © Bill Henderson (2012).
Wesleyan Chapel (1827, now flats) on Lawefield Lane. SE 324 204. © Bill Henderson (2013).
Westgate Unitarian Chapel
(1752). Another view. SE 328 208. Both © Bill Henderson (2011). Grade II* listed -
The former Westgate Wesleyan Chapel. The date-stone is a little unclear - 1821 or perhaps 1827. ©
David Regan (2012).
The former Zion
Congregational Church on George Street, now flats. Another view. Both © David Regan (2011).
Free Evangelical Church. SE 314 215. © Bill Henderson.
The congregation of St. Swithun now meet in St. Swithun's Community Centre. There's a photo of the church of
St. Swithun, which is still occasionally used for services, on the link at the end of this entry. © David Regan (2013).
St. Peter and St. Paul (R.C.). © Bill
Sandal or Sandal Magna
St. Helen on Barnsley Road is of Norman foundation, and was re-built in 1872. SE 3435 1822. © Bill Henderson
(2012). Another view, © Richard Roberts (2014),
© David Regan (2021).
Grade II* listed.
Sandal Methodist Church on Barnsley Road. ©
David Regan (2011). Link.
Stanley and Stanley Ferry
Bottomboat Chapel, as shown on an external website (near bottom of page. It was destroyed
in a fire.
Duke of York Street Mosque, obviously a former chapel. David thinks it was Primitive Methodist. © David
Lee Mount Wesleyan Chapel (1874) was demolished because of subsidence. Link is to an
Former Methodist Chapel at Stanley Ferry, now converted into flats.
Another view. Both © David Regan (2013).
St. Peter. No longer used since
2001 because of structural problems. There are proposals to redevelop the church
for housing. © Bill
Henderson. Link. This
item details an ongoing controversy over the way the church fixtures and
fittings have been sold off. If the allegations are true, it's a disgraceful
episode. The congregation now meet in the Church Centre on Lake Lock Road. © David Regan (2013).
Stanley Lane Ends Primitive Methodist Chapel (1874) was closed in the 1970's and
demolished in the 1980's. Link is to an external website.
Stanley Methodist Church on Lea Mount Road. © David Regan (2013).
The former Village Institute was for some time used as a Roman Catholic Chapel. © David Regan (2013).
Zion Christian Centre on
Aberford Road was previously Congregational. © Bill Henderson.
The site of the demolished
Christ Church, which stood at the corner of Church
Street and Mark Street. It's dated
here (where there are several photos) to 1870-1958.
SE 3343 1982. © David Regan (2021). Another old photo
The former United Methodist
Chapel on Thornes Lane is now in use as a garage. This
source, which calls it Bethel, dates it to
"about 1863 until 1952". SE 3347 1993.
© David Regan (2021).
Methodist Church. ©
Bill Henderson. This was previously described as being up for sale. Linda Lister, a member
of the congregation has advised that this isn't the case, and that they are in the throes
of altering the church to improve disabled access, and are building a new porch.
St. Anne. © Bill