The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former Brethren's Meeting Room on Bath Street is now in secular use. It was preceded by one on Acre Street. © Janet Gimber (2016).
Another former Brethren's Meeting Room stands between Brick Row and Lansdown, and is very difficult to photograph. It too is now in secular use. © Janet Gimber (2016).
Christian Science Reading Room, on Lansdown. © Janet Gimber (2016).
The former Christian Science Reading Room, stands across the road from the building in the previous entry. It was originally built as a Temperance Hall, but has had many other uses over the years. © Janet Gimber (2016).
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Nelson Street. © Janet Gimber (2016).
Church of the Immaculate Conception (R. C.) on Beeches Green was founded in 1858. © Janet Gimber (2016).
Hill Chapel Christian Centre (Church of God of Prophecy, Pentecostal) on Chapel Street and Wood Street. Janet suspects that this building may have been a Sunday School for the adjacent (demolished) Congregational "Old Chapel". © Janet Gimber (2016).
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Cornhill. © Janet Gimber (2016).
The site of the Old Presbyterian Chapel on Chapel Road. The congregation was founded in 1689, and a chapel built here in 1711. It was closed by 1970, and demolished in 1977 to make way for housing. © Janet Gimber (2016).
The former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1836) on Parliament Street. It was closed in the 1950's, and is now the Cotswold Playhouse Theatre, who have added extensions to the original building. © Janet Gimber (2016).
St. Lawrence (or St. Laurence). SO 852 052. © Peter Wood. Another view, © Graeme Harvey (2011). An old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection. Interior view, © Graeme Harvey (2012). Grade B listed.
The Salvation Army meet in a former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1763) on Acre Street. SO 8545 0514. © Janet Gimber (2016). Rob Kinnon-Brettle advises that this was at one time a Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion chapel - though it can't have been founded as such as the Connexion commenced in 1783. Howard Richter has advised that it has been Salvationist since at least the mid-1880's. Link. Grade II listed.
Spiritualist Church, © Graeme Harvey (2011).
The former Synagogue (1889) on Lansdown, which closed before 1910. There had been an earlier one of 1880. © Janet Gimber (2016).
The former Unitarian Chapel on Lansdown was founded in 1876. Its date of closure is at present uncertain, but it has since been used by the Baptists, and as a cinema, dance school and the local Liberal Association. It has now been converted into flats. Another view. Both © Janet Gimber (2016).
The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1876-1981) on Castle Street has been converted into flats. It has a date-stone for 1763, commemorating their previous chapel (for which see the Salvation Army entry, above) visible in this zoomed-in 2018 Streetview. SO 8539 0501. © Janet Gimber (2016). Grade II listed.
08 June 2020
© Steve BulmanContact Details