The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

St. Philip's, St. Philip's Marsh and The Dings

St. Philip's Marsh on Wikipedia.


Anvil Street Congregational Chapel opened in 1834, apparently as a plant from Highbury Chapel in Cotham (which is now Cotham Parish Church). It subsequently became Broad Plain Lad's Club, and then a gym. It was demolished as part of the redevelopment of the area in the 1980's (if not before), and the site now lies beneath a block of flats. ST 59818 72798. Carole Sage (2017). A photo of the chapel is available here (scroll down).

A short-lived Baptist Mission once stood in an alley off Freestone Road. It was set up in 1880, from Cotham Grove Baptist Chapel, but seems to have closed by 1902, when it isn't mentioned in a directory for Bristol. The site is now used by a coach hire business. Whether anything survives from the Mission is not known. ST 60158 72602. Carole Sage (2017).

According to map evidence, Bristol City Mission Hall was built between 1855 and 1874, at the junction of Days Road and Cumberland Street in The Dings. Apparently still surviving into the 1970's, the area was redeveloped, and the building, and indeed Cumberland Street itself has gone. The site is now part Turners Coach Hire business. ST 60303 72855. Carole Sage (2017).

A hall on Chapel Street in St. Philip's Marsh was used in the 19th century as a Salvation Army Hall (the only certain date is 1884). The building itself pre-dated the 1870's O.S. map, and the Jubilee Room (see below) was built later on the adjoining plot. Carole's photo shows the right-hand side of the Jubilee Room, and a roofed area attached to a later commercial building. The hall used by the S.A. stood where the covered way now is. ST 60131 72280. Carole Sage (2017).

Emmanuel Church [or Emmanuel (the Unity)] was built in 1863 at the junction of Clarke Street (now Midland Road) and Barton Road in The Dings. Made redundant in 1937, it was demolished in 1939 as part of a slum clearance campaign. The site now lies beneath a business car park. ST 59997 72958. Emmanuel Parish Hall on Union Road is listed on the Gloucestershire Places of Worship website lists it as a place of worship in its own right. Built before WW1, it was presumably closed at the same time as the church. Later used for industrial purposes, it survived to circa 2008, when it was demolished and replaced by a block of flats. ST 60023 72884. Both Carole Sage (2017). Photos are both buildings are available here.

A Jewish Burial Ground was established in St. Philip's in 1740, the last internment taking place in 1944. Old maps show a small building, which may have been a mortuary chapel. Can you confirm if this is correct? ST 59953 72843. Carole Sage (2017).

The former Jubilee Room (1887) stands at the junction of Chapel Lane and Victoria Road (previously Marsh Road). A plant from Bristol City Mission, it was closed in 1942, but the building was taken over by the congregation from the nearby St. Philip's Marsh Methodist Church. There are conflicting dates for the final closure of this building as a church (the Church Crawler website says 2002 - see the Chapel Street Mission entry here - scroll down), but it's now in commercial use. Another view. ST 60124 72279. Both Carole Sage (2017).

Kingsland Congregational Church was founded before 1839 on Kingsland Road (now Kingsland Close) in The Dings. It closed in the early 1950's, and used for storage, until it was demolished in 1980, and small industrial or storage building erected on the site. A photo of the church is available here (scroll down). ST 60074 72938. Carole Sage (2017).

The former Mission Hall on Union Road. Built in the 1870's, there is a reference to it as being a Mission of St. Silas on Feeder Road in 1903, and it continued in use as a Mission until after WW2, but when it closed is uncertain. It's now in use as offices. ST 60133 72786. Carole Sage (2017).

The site of St. Silas. Originally built in 1867 on what was then Feeder Road, inadequate foundations soon caused structural problems, and it was closed in 1872. A second church was built on the site, and this opened in 1878. The church was destroyed by bombing in 1941, and the area redeveloped after the war. A car dealership now occupies the site. Despite efforts from Carole and myself, there appear to be no photographs of it on-line. ST 60394 72428. After the church was bombed, the congregation used a former Day School off York Street (now Barton Manor) as a temporary church. This closed in the 1950's, and the area subsequently redeveloped. A building belonging to Mawdesley's Pump Services stand on the site, and the 2015 O.S. map marks it as "The Old School House", implying that the building survived the redevelopment, though it's unrecognizable as being a former school. ST 60094 72949. Both Carole Sage (2017).

St. Silas's Church Mission Hall stood on Grafton Street. Built between 1903 and 1914, it replaced four terraced houses and their rear yards. Grafton Street itself has gone, and the building seems to have survived at least as long as 1951, and perhaps 1970, but it was eventually demolished, and a car dealerships car park built on the site. ST 60138 72325. Carole Sage (2017).

Severn Vineyard Church holds mid-week services in The Power House, a former electricity company office on Feeder Road. Another view. Sunday services are held in a former fire station, for which see Severn Vineyard Church in the main section, above. ST 60715 72416. Both Carole Sage (2017). Link.

Shaftesbury Hall (aka Shaftesbury House) stands on Kingsland Road and Oxford Street in The Dings. It was built as a Shaftesbury Crusade, a Congregational Mission from Redland Park Congregational Church in the late 19th century - and the building still retains its original name. The Mission moved to alternative premises in the 1950's, and the building is now mainly used by a charity caring for homeless people, though a congregation still holds services here - The House of Restoration Church (Bristol) meet on Friday and Sunday (link). Another view. ST 60162 72775. All Carole Sage (2017).

The site a United Methodist Chapel, on Gas Lane. Dating from the mid-19th century, maps show it being active until an edition of 1949. By 1951 a building on the same site is shown as "Warehouses". Whether this is still the original chapel building is not known at present. Another view. ST 60148 72592. Both Carole Sage (2017).

Victoria Chapel on Marsh Road was built as Wesleyan, founded in 1883. Probably a "tin tabernacle". it was subsequently known as Victoria Road Methodist Church, and later still St. Philip's Marsh Methodist Church. The congregation moved to the recently vacated Jubilee Room (see above) in 1942, and by the time of the 1951 O.S. map the old church had fallen into ruin. The site where the church stood is now a scrap metal dealership. No photographs appear to be available on-line. ST 60123 72218. Carole Sage (2017).
 

 

 

 
 

Home

04 March 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details