The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Stechford, Birmingham

Stechford on Wikipedia.
 

All Saints (2022 Streetview) on Albert Road at SP 1274 8715. Link1 has an interior view. Link2 says it dates from 1898, successor to an earlier mission church of 1877. Old maps show that the first church stood a few yards away to the N.E. In another 2022 Streetview, the site of the first church is from the leftmost part of the church (seen behind the gate) extending to the rear.

Stechford Baptist Church on Victoria Road, as seen by Streetview in 2020. SP 1273 8726. Link1. Link2 dates it to 1926, though the congregation had met earlier in (unidentified) council schools and a Masonic Hall.

The Church in Birmingham stands behind 137, Lyttelton Road (2022 Streetview). SP 1293 8733. Link.

First shown on a map of 1938 is a R.C. Chapel on Lyttelton Road at SP 1286 8703. Demolished, it's site is now a car park (2012 Streetview) for its successor Corpus Christi (2012 Streetview). Another Streetview, from 2023, shows the pedestrian access from Albert Road. SP 1274 8714. Link.

East Birmingham Central Masjid on Farmcote Road, Kitts Green, as seen by Streetview in 2008. Later views are obscured by high fences, though the visible roofs suggest no major alterations. SP 1417 8793. Link.

Faizan-e-Madina stands on the north side of Bordesley Green East at SP 1271 8669. It was seen by Streetview in 2023. Link.

Global Evangelistic Outreach Church (2020 Streetview) on Broadstone Road. A 2022 Streetview provides another view. SP 1405 8654.

Kitts Green Church (2022 Streetview), on Kitts Green Road. SP 1496 8729. Link says it was formerly Kitts Green Evangelical Church and Birmingham Medical Mission.

Our Lady Help of Christians (R.C.) on Meadway at Tile Cross. It was seen by Streetview in 2022 - 1, 2. SP 1563 8701. Link1. Link2. Grade II* listed, where in it's dated to 1966-7.

St. Peter, which stands on the east side of Haywood Road at Tile Cross, was seen by Streetview in 2021. SP 1614 8662. Link.

St. Richard (2022 Streetview) stands on the north side of Hallmoor Road, Kitts Green. According to this source, it was originally a wooden church called Archbishop Lightfoot. A 2012 Streetview provides another view. SP 1467 8109. Link.

Stechford Mosque is on the east side of Albert Road. Streetview saw it in 2023 - 1, 2. SP 1274 8714. Link.

The Shilonite Gospel Church of Cherubim and Seraphim on Audley Road, as seen by Streetview in 2022. The building pre-dates a map of 1951. SP 1374 8776.
 

A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel used to stand on Victoria Road at SP 1288 8738. Pre-dating a map of 1886, later maps imply it survived as a place or worship until the 1950's at least. Since demolished and replaced in recent times by a house (2020 Streetview) on a slightly different alignment.
Replaced (and demoted to 'Hall') after 1912 by the next:

Another Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is noted in 1940 as "Stechford (Lyttelton Road), Wesleyan". Built before 1932, it's noted here (scroll to bottom) as having had its final service in 2005. Since demolished, it was replaced by a block of flats (2022 Streetview). SP 1295 8730.
 

 

 

 

Home

20 January 2024

Steve Bulman

Contact Details