The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Christ Church. NY 11030 53706. © Steve Bulman. The same church from an old postcard, from Steve Bulman's Collection. Another view, © Alan Blacklock. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the font, all © Steve Bulman (2017). Link. Grade II listed.
Christ Church Mission Hall (1887) on Solway Street and Caldew Street. Its current use is unclear. NY 11165 53670. © Steve Bulman (2018).
Church of Our Lady of the Assumption (R.C.) on Solway Street and Wampool Street. This was built as a Congregational Church in 1862, and was sold to the Catholic Church in 1953. NY 11113 53534. © Steve Bulman. Prior to this, a property on Esk Street (no. 8) was used as a chapel, and before that the congregation met in a room above the cafe on the corner of Lawn Terrace and Station Road, now a chip shop and cafe. NY 10922 53525. © Steve Bulman (2018).
Evangelical Free Church (1938) on Eden Street. NY 11167 53435. © Steve Bulman.
Pentecostal Church at Greenrow, on the B5300. NY 11017 52811. © Steve Bulman.
The site of the former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1877) on Esk Street, now occupied by a small block of flats. The date of closure and demolition are not known at present, but according to this link, the church was still active in 1940. NY 11083 53620. © Steve Bulman (2017).
St. Andrew (U.R.C.) on Solway Street was originally Presbyterian, built in 1887. NY 11191 53734. © Steve Bulman. Before the church was built, the congregation held services in what was then the Oddfellows Hall on Solway Street, now a small supermarket. NY 11085 53549. © Steve Bulman (2018).
Trinity Methodist Church (1876) on Solway Street and Wampool Street, formerly Wesleyan. NY 11092 53584. © Steve Bulman.
24 May 2021
© Steve BulmanContact Details