The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Redland, Bristol

Redland on Wikipedia.

The site of the Bishop's Palace at Redland Green, now occupied by a block of flats. Built in 1898, it was destroyed by incendiary bombs in 1940. Another view. ST 58080 75093. Both © Carole Sage (2017). A Loxton drawing is available here, and an old photo here.

The former Bristol Maternity Hospital had a chapel - Carole suspects it may have been within the main building, rather than a separate one in the grounds. Queen Victoria House was originally built as a school (Waynflete Private School for Boys), and was later a convalescent home, becoming a hospital in 1950, and lasting until 1975. It's now undergoing residential conversion. Another view. ST 57445 74880. Both © Carole Sage (2017).

The former Exclusive Gospel Hall. Founded on or before 1903, it was built on the then Tucker Road, since re-named as Luccombe Hill. A directory of 1914 lists it as Plymouth Brethren, of which the Exclusive Brethren are a splinter. It was still marked as Gospel Hall on the 1970 O.S. map, though one source gives its date of closure as 1951. It's now in residential use. ST 57918 74852. © Carole Sage (2016). An old postcard on an external website shows it when it was the convalescent home.

Holy Celtic Church on Cranbrook Road was built in 1899 when it was known as New Church (General Conference of the New Church, of whom more here). When the congregation of the Swedenborgian Church moved here in 1899 it was called Immanuel Church (see the entry in the Central Bristol section at the top of the Bristol page). It closed in 2013. ST 58585 75090. © Graeme Harvey. Three further views - 1, 2, 3, all © Carole Sage (2016). Link1 (thanks to Adam McCurdy for providing this). Link2. A Loxton drawing shows the church as it will have been not long after it was built, showing the porch as narrower than it is today.

The Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses on Hampton Road was originally Hampton Road Assembly Room (Christian Brethren). ST 57958 74294. © Carole Sage (2016).

Lutherans met in the ground floor room of a house on Fernbank Road commencing a few years after the war, and continued until 1971. ST 58252 74606. © Carole Sage (2016).

The site of a former Meeting House on Ashgrove Road. It was closed in 1990, subsequently demolished, and the land is now occupied by a block of flats. ST 57676 74336. © Carole Sage (2016).

Listed here as a former Meeting Room, this building on Hampton Lane has more recently been in use as a recording studio. Details are sketchy - it seems to have been in use in the 1960's and 1970's. It's closure is noted as being in early 1975. Exactly who used it is also not known. ST 57850 73973. © Carole Sage (2016).

The site of the former Mission Hall on Lower Redland Road. ST 57587 74670. © Carole Sage (2016).

The former Mount Olive United Free Methodist Church on Whiteladies Road dates from the 1850's. In the early 1930's it became the Pentecostal Mount of Olives Assembly. It closed in 1979, and is now in use as a gym. ST 57420 74747. © Carole Sage (2016).

The former Redland Grove Methodist Church (1876-1941, United Free Methodists) on Fairview Drive. It's now in use as offices. Another view. ST 58231 74583. Both © Carole Sage (2016). A Loxton drawing.

Redland Friends Meeting House on Hampton Road. Before their move to Easton, Bristol and West Progressive Jewish Congregation also met here. ST 578 746. © Andrew Ross.

A shop on Kellaway Avenue was home to the congregation of the Redland National Spiritualist Church from 1947 to 1955. They moved into a purpose built building in Westbury Park in the mid 1950's, and for which see the Westbury Park section of the Bristol page. ST 58105 75943. © Carole Sage (2016). Link.

Redland Park U.R.C. (1955) on Whiteladies Road and Redland Park. Built as a replacement for the Congregational Church of 1861, which was destroyed by bombing in 1940. A photo of the original church is available here, and Loxton made some drawings of it - 1, 2, 3. See also Redland Park Church Hall on the Clifton page. ST 57555 74509. © Graeme Harvey. Another view, © Carole Sage (2016).

Redland Parish Church (no dedication), on Redland Green Road. Andrew describes it as "very impressive". ST 57980 74983. © Andrew Ross. Another view, © Carole Sage (2017). Link. Loxton made a drawing of it when it was known as Redland Green Chapel.

The former St. Saviour (built 1882-9, replacing an earlier tin church) on Chandos Road. Another view. It was closed in the 1970's - for more details see Woodland Church, Cotham, on the Bristol page. ST 58017 74524. Both © Carole Sage (2016).

The former St. Katherine on Salisbury Road. Founded in the hall in 1898 (although not consecrated until 1931), it was closed in 1954, and eventually sold and converted to residential use. ST 58544 75007. © Carole Sage (2017). Another view, showing the church before conversion. © Neil Floyd.

The former Trinity Church on Cranbrook Road and Kersteman Road, now apartments. Originally Presbyterian, the congregation dates from 1889 when a hall was used for worship. Building work started on the church in 1907, and it was known as Trinity Presbyterian Church. Later U.R.C., it closed in 2004 when the congregation joined with Henleaze U.R.C. The church was subsequently converted into flats. ST 58511 75092. © Graeme Harvey. Another view, © Carole Sage (2016). Link (scroll down).

The site of the demolished Trinity Methodist Church on Whiteladies Road and Ashgrove Road. It was built in 1866 and demolished in 1978. Flats have been built on the site, and part of the church steeple has been retained as a garden feature. ST 57648 74364. © Carole Sage (2016). Photos of the church are available here.

Tyndale Baptist Church (1868) on Whiteladies Road. Partly destroyed by bombing in WWII, it was re-built incorporating some of the surviving older church, and it was re-opened in 1955. ST 57727 74231. © Graeme Harvey. Two additional views - 1, 2, the wind-vanes (all dated 1894, the year the tower was completed), and some grotesques, surely invisible from the ground, all © Carole Sage (2016 and 2018). Interior view, © Gerard Charmley (2011). Link1. Link2 (a good history; scroll down). Link3. A Loxton drawing. For the mission from this church, see The site of the Mission Hall from Tyndale Baptist Church, on the main Bristol page.

An so-far unidentified Loxton drawing shows a church interior. Although labelled as "Interior Redland Church, it isn't of the parish church - can you identify it?





04 March 2023

© Steve Bulman

Contact Details