The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Ashton Methodist Church. © Peter Morgan.
Baptist Church on Fishergate. SD 536 292. © Philip Kapp. John Balaam has advised that this has closed and is currently (2011) up for sale. The congregation has moved to the main Baptist Church on Pole Street (see below). Grade II listed.
The original Carey Baptist Church on Pole Street is no longer in use. The congregation now meet in the adjacent building (1977). SD 5435 2960. Both © Mike Berrell (2014). Link. According to the grade II listing it was originally a Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion Chapel of 1826.
The former Central Salvation Army hall on Grimshaw Street, now in use as a restaurant. SD 545 293. © Rob Kinnon-Brettle (2012).
Church of the Sacred Heart. © Peter Morgan.
Elim Pentecostal Church, previously listed as possibly the former Lancaster Road Congregational Church, as it was on the same road. © Peter Morgan. However, Sandy Calder has investigated this, and suggested that it might instead be the former St. Thomas (Anglican) - and the identification is confirmed by this link. He further suggests that Lancaster Road Congregational Church was demolished many years ago in connection with the redevelopment around Preston Guild Hall.
Emmanuel Church, © John Balaam (2011).
First Church of Christ, Scientist, © Peter Morgan.
The former Great Avenham Street Strict Baptist Chapel, now in residential use. SD 5422 2890. © Gerard Charmley (2020).
The former New Jerusalem (Swedenborgian) Church (1844) on Avenham Road, now in secular use. SD 5410 2903. © Gerard Charmley (2020).
Preston City Mission Church is scheduled for demolition to allow for redevelopment of the site. Thanks to Alan Hopkins for advising of the story in the local paper, which includes a small photo. Another view. Both © Alan Hopkins, taken Feb 2009. Mike Berrell advises that this is still open as of early 2014. As of late 2016, John Balaam advises that still nothing obvious has happened at the site.
Preston Old Cemetery on New Hall Lane has a Muslim Prayer Shelter. SD 566 302. © Mike Berrell (2014).
St. Ignatius (R.C.) on St. Ignatius Square. SD 542 299. © Peter Morgan. Another view, and three interiors - 1, 2, 3, all © Mike Berrell (2014). Grade II* listed. Mike Berrell has advised that this Pugin church closed in 2015. News item on closure. John Balaam has advised that soon after the closure, it re-opened again as a church for a group of Indian Catholics - the Syro-Malabar Catholics. He has further advised that it has since been raised to the status of a cathedral, dedicated to St. Alphonsa - see news item.
The former St. Peter, now an arts centre. © Peter Morgan.
St. Thomas of Canterbury and the English Martyrs (R.C.). © Peter Morgan.
Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on St. Mary's Street, now in use as a printer's. © Peter Morgan. Thanks to Mike Berrell for the identification.
18 September 2020
© Steve BulmanContact Details