The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Port Ellen (on Islay), Argyll & Bute
A low oblong of grass-covered masonry in the hills above the village marks the location of Cill Tobar Lasrach, a long ruined medieval chapel. A photo of it can be seen here. NR 3737 4581. Canmore entry.
A former Free Church which stands on Lennox Street is now in secular use. It was seen by Streetview in 2009. Although not listed, the adjoining Manse is, as Category C, and it's dated to 1847, providing a "no later than" date for the church. NR 3685 4543.
Oa Parish Church, at Risabus, about 3½ miles W.S.W. of the village is a now-roofless Telford church of 1828. Photos may be seen here. Its Canmore entry tells us that it was burnt in 1915 and closed in 1930. NR 3142 4364. Category C listed.
On the shore of Kilnaughton Bay near Port Ellen (at NR
3476 4550) is this tiny ruined building,
which looks to be a small chapel, but Martin can find no mention of it in the sources at
his disposal. A comment here
suggests that it might have been a changing hut (for sea bathing) for a
nearby house, and
here as a folly. © Martin Briscoe.
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details