The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, on Chapel Street, converted to housing. SH 7099 7615. © Martin Briscoe (2006 or earlier). The Coflein entry dates it to the late 19th century, with conversion circa 2000.
Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist Chapel stands on Bangor Road at SH 7131 7625. The Coflein entry (which has a photo) only dates it to the late 19th century. It is evidently now in commercial use, as the 2011 Streetview shows.
An English Presbyterian Chapel once stood on Fernbrook Road, at SH 7203 7626. Coflein dates it to 1876/7. It also implies it was still extant in 1981, but it has since been demolished. The 2009 Streetview shows a house now standing on the plot (the one behind the telegraph pole), though the church itself stood further back from the road.
Jerwsalem Methodist Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist) survives only as a frontage. © Martin Briscoe (2006 or earlier). The Coflein entry provides a building date of circa 1905, and disuse "by 1996". One of the photos in the Coflein entry shows that the building is without a roof. Eglwys Y Berth (Welsh Presbyterian) meets in one of Jerwsalem's ancillary buildings. SH 7183 7628. Link (for Berth, includes a photo.).
Maenan Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist, 1901) on St. John's Park Road, possibly converted to a private house. A 2011 Streetview supports this. SH 7115 7623. © Martin Briscoe (2006 or earlier). The Coflein entry says it was disused by 2003.
Old Friary (Franciscan R.C.) on Alexandra Park is not nearly as old as its name might suggest - the Coflein entry, which has as illustration an old postcard, dates it to circa 1908. SH 7236 7646. A 2011 Streetview.
The former Our Lady of the Rosary (R.C.) stands at the junction of Conway Old Road and Graiglwyd Road, at SH 7235 7653. It was built as Pen-y-Cae Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in 1867, with conversion to catholic usage (according to the Coflein entry) "by 1901". The entry has two old photographs, one of the exterior, the other of the interior. They also list it as disused in 2003. A 2016 Streetview. Grade II listed.
St. Paul's United Church (Methodist and U.R.C.) stands on Bangor Road and Celyn Street. It was built as Wesleyan Methodist and became the United Church in 1991. SH 7168 7631. 2011 Streetview. The Coflein entry dates it to the "late 19th century" - map evidence implies between 1890 and 1900. Link.
Independent Chapel stands on Chapel Street. SH 7093 7615. A
2011 Streetview. The
Coflein entry dates it to 1862.
17 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details