Nottingham on Wikipedia.
Canning Circus, Carrington, Cinderhill, Clifton,
Daybrook, Hyson Green, Radford,
Sherwood and Sherwood Rise.
Cathedral Church of
St. Barnabas (R.C.) on Derby Road. Three interior views -
3. All ©
Mike Forbester. Link.
Grade II* listed.
The long-demolished Christ Church (Unitarian) on Peas
Hill Road. According to this
link, the church
was built in 1863-4, and closed in 1932. It stood at the
junction of Peas Hill Road and Raglan Street, SK 5774 4090. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website
here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of
Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters.
My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
Congregational Church (1863)
on Castle Gate.
Another view. The congregation of St. Nicholas is currently meeting here (see St. Nicholas,
below). Congregational services are held in the adjoining Cleaves Conference Centre. SK 5725 3971.
All © Howard Richter (2011). Some
Grade II listed.
First Church of Christ,
formerly an English Presbyterian Church, stands at the junction of Mansfield
Road and Villa Road. SK 570 410. © Michael Bourne.
showing that the building is now in use as a Sikh Temple - the Sri Nabh
Kanwal Raja Sahib Ji Gurdwara.
The First Church of Christ has moved to a nearby building, for which see
the next entry. © Richard Pykett (2019).
First Church of Christ,
on Mansfield Road. © Richard Pykett (2019).
Grangewood Methodist Church at Wollaton. © Janet Gimber (2014).
Hope Strict Baptist
Church, which closed in 2014.
Both © Gerard Charmley.
Mansfield Road Baptist Church.
SK 567 415. © Michael Bourne.
St. Andrew. SK 570 411. ©
Michael Bourne. Link.
St. Mary. © Aidan McRae Thomson.
This old postcard dates to no later than 1918 (it has a 1/2d. stamp - the postal rate increased to 1d.
in June 1918). From Shayne van Rensburg's Collection. Link.
Two further views - 1, 2. Currently (2011)
closed, and undergoing re-ordering, the congregation is meeting in the nearby Congregational Church (see above). St. Nicholas is also home to Nottingham's Chinese
Christian community. The church is of ancient foundation (some argue
pre-Conquest), but the present building dates from the 1670's, replacing one destroyed in the English Civil War. SK 571 396. All © Howard Richter
Link2. Grade II* listed -
St. Peter. © Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.
Church of St. Alban on Bond Street, Sneinton (built as the Anglican
St. Alban's in 1866-7).
which says it became the Ukrainian church in the 1960's.
on High Pavement.
It's now a bar, and their
includes an interior view. SK 5752 3963.
© Aidan McRae Thomson.
A 2017 Streetview
another view. Its
grade II listing dates it to 1876, with conversion in 1989.
Redhill Cemetery has a double
Mortuary Chapel. In
the photo they are at left (south) - CoE, and at right, Nonconformist. SK 5785
4584. © Dennis Harper (2022).
St. Mary on Church Lane. SK 5868
4614. © Tim Hollinghurst. Link.
The Church Hall
of St. Leodegarius could easily be mistaken for a church, as it sits
some distance away, on Nottingham Road and Silverdale Road.
SK 5567 4277. Both © Dennis Harper (2022).
on Church Street, as seen by Streetview in 2015. SK 5529 4277.
Grade II* listed. For other listed features associated with the
First Spiritualist National Church on Derby Road. The church notice-board says "Established
1865" - does this relate to the building as well? SK 563 401. © Howard Richter (2011). Link.
United Holy Church of God on Ilkeston Road. SK 562 402. © Howard Richter (2011).
Apostolic Church on Sherbrooke Road.
Richard mentions an entry in a local history book (A History of
Carrington, by Terry Fry) which says that this was originally a
Baptist Church (1882). © Richard Pykett (2017).
St. John the
Evangelist on Mansfield Road, consecrated in 1843. Two additional
views - 1,
2. All ©
Richard Pykett (2018).
Christ Church at
Cinderhill. SK 539 432. © Michael Bourne.
at Cinderhill. SK 540 431. © Michael Bourne.
Holy Trinity on Farnborough Road. © David Regan (2012).
Another view, © Dennis Harper (2013).
St. Mary on Holgate. Three more views -
3, and two interiors - 1,
2, the chancel, the startling organ, and
the font. SK 541 348. All © Dennis Harper (2014).
(1912), on Mansfield Road, as seen by Streetview in 2021. Its
predecessor of 1859 stands adjacent to its right.
St. Paul stands at the junction of Church Drive and Mansfield
Road. Two more views -
views of the interior -
and the font. SK 5796
4516. All © Dennis Harper (2022).
Grade II* listed, wherein it's dated to 1892-6. It was preceded on
an adjacent site on Church Drive by a Mission
Church of 1890. It was seen by the Streetview van in
Church, on Beaconsfield Street. SK 5561 4169. © Michael Bourne.
Boulevard U.R.C.. SK
557 412. © Michael Bourne.
St. Mary (R.C.). SK 556
417. © Michael Bourne.
The former St. Paul, now
flats. SK 557 413. © Michael Bourne.
St. Stephen with St. Paul.
SK 554 415. © Michael Bourne.
All Saints on Raleigh Street.
Another view. Both © Dennis Harper (2014). Grade II listed.
All Souls (Church and Community Centre). Opened in 1980, it was preceded by an earlier
church on the same site, with the same dedication. Its dates are 1894 - 1979. Two further views - 1,
2. SK 555 401. All © Howard Richter (2011).
link can be searched, and has several interior photos of the original church.
Baba Ji Sikh Temple, on Haydn Road. © Richard Pykett (2017).
view. Both © Richard Pykett (2016).
Liberal Synagogue on Lloyd Street.
SK 574 428. Both © Richard Pykett (2017).
Spiritualist Church on Hall Street. © Richard Pykett (2017).
Our Lady of Czestochowa
(Polish Catholic), on Sherwood Rise. © Aidan McRae Thomson.
Link - in Polish, but
lots of photos.
St. Martin on
Trevose Gardens. Dedicated in 1937, it took until 1966 for the building
to be completed. Two additional views -
2. All ©
Richard Pykett (2018).
has a comprehensive history.
Sherwood Methodist Church
on Devon Drive and Mansfield Road. It was opened in 1981, on the site of
an earlier church opened in 1887. The stone cross shown
here is from that
earlier church. Two additional views -
2. All © Richard
Link. A photo of the old church can be seen
on Edwards Lane. This was built as Congregational in 1939, becoming
U.R.C. at the merging of the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in
view. SK 57453 43321. Both © Richard Pykett (2018).