The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Murton, County Durham
My appreciation to Howard Richter
for his researches into the churches listed hereunder.
The former Greenhill Methodist Church stands at the junction of Penryn Avenue and Claude Terrace, and was originally built as Bible Christian, largely for the miners who had moved here from Cornwall (history article). Old maps suggest it was built between 1885 and 1896. It was later United Methodist. It can be seen here in a 2009 Streetview. Some photos of the derelict interior are available here. NZ 3981 4739.
The Independent Methodist Church on Claude Terrace and Wood's Terrace, as seen by Streetview in 2009. Another 2009 Streetview. There is at least one website "out there" which says this was originally Primitive Methodist, though there seems to be no basis for this. An examination of old maps suggest it was built between 1898 and 1920. NZ 3964 4732.
St. Paul (Methodist, circa 1970). Another view. NZ 3980 4693. Both © James Murray. It was successor to two Primitive Methodist Chapels, one of which survives. The earlier one was built in 1851 at NZ 3988 4692. The site of the chapel can be seen here on a Streetview from 2009. It stretched roughly from the position of the camera to the telephone pole. The second chapel stands adjacent to St. Paul, and both buildings can be seen, also on Streetview, here, in 2016. The 1875 date-stone can be seen by zooming-in. Link has a photo of the interior of the 1875 chapel, and an old postcard showing it can be seen here.
Salvation Army Hall (1900). NZ 3970 4689. © James Murray.
The village also had a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on what was then Murton Street and Railway Street, at NZ 3992 4691. A distant view of the chapel can be seen here (though the line of the road had originally run a little further to the left), and a view from slightly further east on a Streetview from 2021. The chapel stood on the right side of the road, about where the blue "keep left" sign is.
13 July 2021
© Steve BulmanContact Details