The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Baptist Church on Old Broughton Road. From a study of old maps, this appears to have been the Sunday school of the preceding chapel, and at some point the buildings changed roles. An older General Baptist Chapel, the site of which is now occupied by a filling station, stood at the junction of Sandridge Road and Snarlton Lane. All © Janet Gimber (2018). Link. The grade II listing is for the second church listed here. It gives a date of 1776.
The former Forest Methodist Church, at the junction of Church Lane, Forest Road, Woodrow Road and Littlejohn Avenue. It was originally Primitive Methodist. © Janet Gimber (2018).
The former Friends' Meeting House on King Street. When the Quakers left, it was used in turn by the Plymouth Brethren and the National Spiritualist Society, but it's current usage is uncertain. © Janet Gimber (2018).
St. Michael and All Angels. ST 902 637. From an old postcard in Andrew Ross's Collection. A modern view, © Chris Kippin (2017). Another view, and the altar. Note the fine reredos. Both © Janet Gimber (2018). The tower, © Paul E. Barnett (2023). Link. Grade II* listed.
The site of the Salvation Army Citadel, off Church Street. It was leased by the Army until 1929 when the freehold was bought, and went out of use circa 1970 and was subsequently demolished. © Janet Gimber (2018).
15 April 2023
© Steve Bulman