The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Lawrence Weston and Kingsweston

Lawrence Weston and Kingsweston on Wikipedia.
 

Christ the King on Ridingleaze and Stile Acres was built in 1950, and demolished in the 1970's. ST 5445 7840. From an old postcard in Janet Gimber's Collection. A photo is available here. It was replaced on the same site by St. Peter. Two additional views - 1, 2. All Carole Sage (2016). Link.

Community Church on Kings Weston Lane. This was previously known as Lawrence Weston Christian Fellowship. ST 53990 77976. Carole Sage (2016).

The former Friends' Meeting House (1718) on Kingsweston Road and Fernhill Lane. Extended in 1780, and with later additions, it closed in 1893 and was subsequently converted into two houses. It was built on the site of an earlier Friends' Meeting House of the late 1660's. ST 54936 78143. Carole Sage (2017). Grade II listed (for the joint properties).

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Deans Mead. From map evidence, it was built between 1955 and 1970. ST 54305 77998. Carole Sage (2017).

Lawrence Weston Baptist Church on Long Cross, established as a Mission from Tyndale Baptist Church in Redland, Bristol, for which see here. ST 53859 77976. Carole Sage (2016).

The site of Lawrence Weston Methodist Church, which stood on Orlebar Gardens and Chapel Lane (the latter was previously known as Humberstan Walk). A Wesleyan Chapel was built here before 1903. Map evidence shows that it was either rebuilt on a larger scale before the 1950's, or much extended, but it was demolished after closure in 1980, and the site redeveloped as flats. ST 54972 78612. Carole Sage (2017).

The site of Lawrence Weston Pentecostal Church (1972-2002) on Ridingleaze. A care home was built on the site. ST 54285 78121. Carole Sage (2017).

Our Lady of the Rosary (R.C.) on Kings Weston Lane. Two additional views - 1, 2. ST 54089 77898. All Carole Sage (2016). Link.

 

 

 

 
 

Home

04 March 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details