The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Our Lady of Perpetual Succour and St. Nicholas (R.C.), on Nelson Square (formerly Market Square). Two interior views - 1, 2, a statue of St. Nicholas, and a crucifixion made of scrap metal. SO 284 724. All © Mike Berrell (2011).
St. Edward the Confessor on Church Street. SO 288 725. © Gerard Charmley (2010). Three interiors - 1, 2, 3, and the font, all © Steve Bulman (2014). The grade II listing mentions that the church stands on the site of a medieval church, the only thing remaining from that building being the West tower. Of a Georgian re-build of 1752, nothing whatsoever remains.
Howard Richter has supplied some data on two Primitive Methodist Chapels. Originally meeting above a barn, the congregation built their first chapel which opened in 1852. It didn't last long, as it was on the projected path of the Central Wales Railway, and it was demolished in or before 1860, when a new chapel was commenced. The first chapel was at circa SO 290 724, and the second off Broad Street at SO 2859 7228. It can be seen on old maps, marked as "Meth. Chap." in 1889, "Meth. Chap. Prim." in 1903 and 1928, and it was still evidently still in use in when the 1976-7 map was compiled. It had been replaced by housing by 1989. A glimpse of the housing (painted white) built on the site can be seen on a 2011 Streetview here, through the alleyway. The My Primitive Methodists entry says that the chapel was only partially demolished, and that a "stone tablet" was retained. A close look at the Streetview shows what may be this tablet, quite low down. Another 2011 Streetview, from the other side, shows the site of the chapel which is occupied by the ivy clad building in the background, and Howard believes that the chapel footprint would have extended further to the right, to the railings.
10 August 2019
© Steve BulmanContact Details