The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former Congregational Church on Peebles Road. NT 3291 3655. © Steve Bulman.
Parish Church (CoS) on Leithen Road. Visitors hoping to see the early (C9 or C10) cross-shaft, and relying on Pevsner, should note that it now lies just inside the entrance to the church, and not outside. The church is not routinely open to visitors, and it is recommended that you make prior arrangements to view it. The cross shaft was found at the old church during its demolition in 1871 (on a different site - no above-ground trace of the old church remains today). Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, and the font. NT 3320 3695. All © Steve Bulman (2019). Link1. Link2. Link3. Note that the latter link gives the grid reference for the place of discovery of the cross shaft as being the same as the present church. This seems to be incorrect, as other references say that the old church was at Kirkland(s), some little way north. This tallies with old maps, which show a church at Kirkland(s) at circa NT 3341 3756. The old burial ground is still there, as the Streetview of 2011 shows, and the church stood towards the boundary wall at the right, with its short axis parallel to the road.
St. Andrew (Episcopal) on Leithen Road. © Steve Bulman (2019).
02 October 2019
© Steve BulmanContact Details