The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire
The demolished Free Methodist Church, which stood on The Green at SE 2138 2355. It was successor to (and on the same site as) the Reform Chapel mentioned below, opening in 1884. A 1956 map marks it as "Westgate Methodist Church". Google Streetview of the site. Photo is on an external website.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Brunswick Street. © David Regan (2012).
Former Methodist New Connexion Chapel (and later Primitive Methodist) on Batley Road, now in commercial use. © David Regan (2012). The My Primitive Methodists entry mentions a successor chapel (1868 - 1975) nearby, which Howard Richter advises from map evidence was about 100 yards away at SE 22547 23858. A photo of it is available here, but a 2019 Streetview shows that it has been demolished and replaced by housing. Note that one pillar from the chapel entrance gate survives, albeit it in a truncated form.
Former Moravian Chapel on Walkley Lane. My appreciation to Phil Todd for confirming the identification, who further adds that it is now in use as a dance/stage studio, and also advises that the large building at the right was the church hall and Sunday School, and the slightly lower building beside it was originally the manse, and, latterly, home to the caretaker of the local Moravian properties. © David Regan (2012).
Mosque on Victoria Street. © David Regan (2012).
The former Mount Zion Chapel at White Lee, now a nursery. © David Regan (2012).
The demolished Reform Chapel (1852-1883) on Union Street. For its successor, see the Free Methodist Church, above. Link is to external website.
St. Saviour (Anglican), which appears to have been a rather superior tin tabernacle, in a photo of 1910, though the church dates back to at least 1890. Photo is on an external site. It stood on Claremont at SE 2165 2380, but before 1907 (map evidence) it had been replaced by a new church, which stood on the same site, but a little further back from the road - at SE 2164 2379. This of course makes the date of the photo several years in error. A photo of this second church is available here (though it may not be available forever) and here. The second church has in turn been demolished, at some unknown date, and housing built on the site. Compare Google Streetview with the photo of the second church and it is evident that part of the church boundary wall survives. The first photo of the second church also shows what is today the Mosque on Victoria Street (for which, see above), but was then a school, at the extreme left, down the hill.
Salvation Army. © David Regan (2012).
Stainland and Holywell Green U.R.C. at Holywell on Stainland Road. SE 0885 1992. This was originally a school, standing adjacent to the Independent/Congregational Chapel (SE 0885 1995, now demolished). The Congregational stood on the site of the building seen at the right here on a 2019 Streetview, with the present church at the left. © David Regan (2020). Link.
The former Upper Independent Congregational Chapel (1890) on High Street has been converted into flats. The adjacent building was originally the Sunday School, but is now where the U.R.C. meet. SE 2224 2371 (for the original chapel), SE 2227 2372 (for the U.R.C.). Both © David Regan (2012). Another view, © David Regan (2020). The grade II* listing has a photo without scaffolding. This scanned book - a very comprehensive history - includes illustrations of two preceding chapels.
The demolished Wesleyan Chapel which stood on The Green at SE 2138 2355. A 1956 map marks it as "Parkside Methodist Church", but it had been demolished by the time of the next edition of 1965-7. Google Streetview of the site. Link is to external website.
The site of Westgate Congregational Chapel is now gardens, though some of
the gravestones remain. It was a splinter from Upper Chapel in 1786. AKA New Chapel or Lower Chapel,
it was demolished in 1974. Link1.
Link2 (old photo of the chapel).
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details