The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Harehills, Leeds, West Yorkshire
The former Ashley Road Methodist Church, which stands at the junction of Ashley Road and Ashton Mount. The 25" O.S. map of 1908 shows two chapels on this site, a Chap., and immediately adjacent to its west, a U.M. Church (United Methodist). What the relationship between these was (if any) is unclear. A newspaper article (scroll down to number 3) includes a photo of Ashley Road Methodist Church undergoing demolition in 1984 - this would appear to be the U.M. church. SE 3211 3495. © Michael Bourne.
The Greek Orthodox Church of the Three Hierarchs on Harehills Avenue was originally Harehills Primitive Methodist Chapel. It's dated here to 1903, becoming Greek Orthodox in 1962. © Gerard Charmley (2011). Interior view, © Mike Forbester. Link.
Harehills Cemetery Chapel in Harehills Cemetery on Kimberley Road. SE 3313 3459. © Mike Berrell (2014).
Harehills Lane Baptist Church. SE 3170 3605. © Michael Bourne. Two interior views - 1, 2, both © Gerard Charmley (2011). The original church building (just visible at the left of the first photo), is seen here, and both together here, both © Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. The history page dates it to 1929, though services were held in the earlier schoolroom, of 1906-7.
St. Aidan on Elford Place West, a spectacular example of "don't judge a book by its cover"! SE 3166 3525. © Michael Bourne. Another view, four of the interior - 1, 2, 3, 4, the pulpit, lectern and font, all © David Regan (2023). Link. Grade II* listed, wherein it's dated to 1891-4.
St. Cyprian with St. James. SE 326 348. © Michael Bourne.
St. Wilfrid. SE 323 353. © Michael Bourne.
The former Trinity Presbyterian Church. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
United Trinity Reformed Church. SE 314 358. © Michael Bourne.
09 October 2023
© Steve Bulman