The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
Bethel Evangelical Church (1976) on New Hall Street. The original church (built as Hope Congregational in 1812, renovated 1891) on the same site was damaged by adjacent building works in the previous year. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). Another view, and two interior views - 1, 2, all © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). The 1812 building is shown here, from the cover of an old church magazine (by kind permission of © Gervase N. E. Charmley). Link.
The former Botteslow Street Primitive Methodist Chapel (1906). © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
The former Brunswick Chapel, now a restaurant. Gervase explains - "It was opened in 1825 as a Congregational chapel by a group who split from Hope (which was where Bethel is now). In 1885 the congregation moved to a new chapel (now demolished) called Trinity, and later became Presbyterian. After the Congregationalists left the building was taken by the Primitive Methodists for a short time, and then by the Christian Mission, who later became the Salvation Army. While Trinity was demolished some years ago, the former Brunswick Chapel still exists. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
The former Bethesda Town Mission was the Mission Hall of the Bethesda Chapel above. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Cemetery Chapels, one CoE, the other Nonconformist. Gervase advises that only one appears to be still in use. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
The former Chapel of Our Lady and St. Patrick on Lower Foundry Street. Built in 1860, it was closed in the 1950's and subsequently used as a warehouse. Another view. Both © Gervase N. E. Charmley, who advises that building is currently (2018) undergoing conversion into flats.
The City Central Mosque is currently under construction. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Elim Pentecostal Church. SJ 888 477. © Chris Emms (2009).
Hope Community Church. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
The Life Changing Ministries Church meets above the Methodist Book Centre in an office building. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
The former Methodist New Connexion Chapel on Portland Street. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
New Testament Church of God, originally Tabernacle Town Mission (1879), which was a mission run by the now vanished Tabernacle Congregational Church. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
All that remains of St. David (Welsh Anglican) is a building now used as a garage. Gervase suspects that it was a vestry or schoolroom. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
The former St. Michael's Anglican Mission Church on Bucknall Old Road. It was originally intended that aisles were to be added, but it never happened. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). Rob Kinnon-Brettle has advised that this was a mission from St. Luke's in Wellington. Opened in 1912, it was closed in 1946, and subsequently used a council-run physical training centre, and later as a gym. By 2008 it was unused, but in 2010 The Holy Catholic Church (Western Rite) bought it, having previously been in Stoke (see the Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Grace on the Stoke page), and, for a short period, had worshipped at St. Mary and St. John in Madeley Heath. After refurbishment, and the addition of a church hall, it was re-dedicated in 2010, and is now St. Michael and All Angels Cathedral. © Chris Emms (2011). Link.
The former Salvation Army Citadel on Glass Street, now in industrial use. SJ 884 478. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). Another view, and a close-up of the stained glass window over the front door, both © Rob Kinnon-Brettle (2012).
The former Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Zion Methodist Church is well hidden behind a car showroom, which stands on the site of the original Victorian Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details