The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Guisborough, North Yorkshire
Pevsner describes the Methodist Church on Westgate as "unforgivable"! It was previously Primitive Methodist, and dates from 1907. NZ 6131 1593. © Steve Bulman.
The former Mortuary Chapel (circa 1872) in the cemetery on Redcar Road. NZ 6196 1709. © Richard Roberts (2021). Old maps show at least one other chapel (apparently now demolished) in the cemetery at NZ 6193 1706.
St. Paulinus on The Avenue. It can be seen on a 2011 Streetview here. Link. It was preceded by another St. Paulinus on Park Lane, at NZ 6105 1618. Now demolished, a photo of it is available here. It was still standing in 2009 when Streetview paid its first visit, but it had been demolished and replaced by an office building by the time of its next visit in 2018.
Situated on Chapel Street, this Conservative Club looks to be a suitable candidate for a former chapel. Janet Gimber has advised that it is known as the Old Chapel, and was originally Primitive Methodist then Methodist. Its next use was as an auction room, before becoming the current club. NZ 614 159. © Steve Bulman.
The Salvation Army is on Westgate. It can be seen on a Streetview of 2018. Circa NZ 610 158.
U.R.C. on Westgate, is marked on older maps as Congregational. NZ 6123 1595. © Steve Bulman.
05 June 2021
© Steve Bulman