The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Churches in Quedgley.
All Saints (redundant), © Graeme Harvey.
Barton Street Methodist Church, © Graeme Harvey.
Bethel United Church of Jesus, © Graeme Harvey.
Brethren's Meeting Room (presumably Plymouth Brethren), © Graeme Harvey.
The Cathedral, dedicated to St. Peter and the Holy and Indivisible Trinity. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. The tower. The superb ceiling in the cloisters. The magnificent carved porch doorway. SO 8312 1878. All © Steve Bulman. Another old postcard view, and an interior view, both from Graeme Harvey's Collection. An old postcard view shows the tomb of Edward II. © Paul E. Barnett's Collection. The following are all © Dennis Harper (2014) - two further exterior views - 1, 2, the cloisters and tower, two of the interior - 1, 2, Lady Chapel, West window, choir stalls, clock, two views of Edward II's tomb - 1, 2, high altar, two pulpits - 1, 2, organ, and font. Link. Grade I listed.
Church of God of Prophecy, © Graeme Harvey.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at Barnwood, © Graeme Harvey.
City Church. The building used to be a Railway Men's Club. © Graeme Harvey (2013).
Community Church, © Graeme Harvey.
Coney Hill Crematorium Chapel, © Graeme Harvey.
Derby Road Tabernacle, redundant when photographed, and since demolished. © Bruce Cunningham (1986).
Ebenezer Gospel Hall (1971) on Russell Street. The link at the end of this entry says that a previous building stood on King Street, from 1872 until demolition in about 1970. © Graeme Harvey (2013). Link.
Elim Christian Centre, © Graeme Harvey.
Gloucester Community Church was previously St. Luke's Methodist Church, © Graeme Harvey (2012).
Hillview Evangelical Church, © Graeme Harvey.
Holy Trinity at Longlevens, © Graeme Harvey.
The former Horton Road Hospital Chapel previously the First County Lunatic Asylum Chapel. It's now in use as offices. © Graeme Harvey.
Hucclecote Methodist Church, © Graeme Harvey.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, © Graeme Harvey (2013).
Lonsdale Road Methodist Church, © Graeme Harvey.
The Mariner's Church, in Gloucester Docks, dates from 1849. SO 827 182. © Graeme Harvey. Another (night-time) view, © Martin Richter (2012). Interior view, the pulpit and the font, all © Dennis Harper (2014). Link1. Link2. Grade II listed - link.
The Redeemed Christian Church of God (until it was closed recently, this was St. Mark's). © Graeme Harvey.
St. Aldate, © Graeme Harvey.
St. Catherine, © Graeme Harvey.
St. James and All Saints at Barton, © Graeme Harvey.
St. Katherine at Matson, © Graeme Harvey.
St. Lawrence at Barnwood. SO 858 177. © Graeme Harvey. Another view. © Phoebe Chick. A watercolour sketch labelled "Barwood" by an unknown artist is from Dean Marskell's collection. Interior view, © Simon Edwards (2012). Jan Bradley had sent me some scans of old stereoviews. This one was identified by Phil Draper, who dates the photo to pre-1873, when the church underwent some re-building work. Link1. Link2. Grade II* listed.
St. Mary de Crypt. SO 831 184. © Graeme Harvey. Another view. © James Murray. Interior view. Raikes Chapel. Robert Raikes is important in the history of Sunday Schools - and is buried here. Both © James Murray. Another view, two more interiors - 1, 2, and the font, all © Dennis Harper (2014). Link.
The remains of St. Michael in the centre of Gloucester - only the tower survives; a victim of "progress". SO 832 185. © Graeme Harvey.
St. Nicholas, no longer in use, the congregation having joined with St. Mary de Lode (above). The church was re-built in the 13th century. The spire, originally of 200 foot, was reduced to 100 foot in 1783, after becoming unstable. © Graeme Harvey. Another view, © James Murray. The clock, two interior views - 1, 2, the altar and font, all © Dennis Harper (2015). Link.
St. Oswald at Coney Hill, © Graeme Harvey.
St. Oswald's Anglo-Saxon Minster and Medieval Priory, © James Murray. Link.
St. Paul, © Aidan McRae Thomson. The war memorial was previously in the Unknown section thus - "Another war memorial from Ian Lewis. The gothic lettering at the lower right corner may provide a clue to someone!". This was identified by Ted Cribley.
St. Stephen, © Graeme Harvey.
Salvation Army, © Graeme Harvey.
Former Salvation Army Citadel, now the Kings Theatre. © Rob Brettle.
Seventh-day Adventist Church on Cromwell Street, © Graeme Harvey.
Southgate Evangelical Church on Southgate Street. The building dates from 1905 or 1906 (link), with the church in use from 1906. SO 828 181. © Martin Richter (2012). Another view, © Graeme Harvey (2013). Link1. Link2.
Trinity Baptist Church (Free Evangelical), © Graeme Harvey.
The derelict Tyndale Mission Hall (1887) on Cemetery Road. Two additional views - 1, 2. In 1980 it became Bethel African Methodist Church (date-stone), but when either the Mission Hall or Bethel went out of use is not known. All © Dennis Harper (2014)
Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Good Shepherd, opened in 1977, formerly the Anglican Mission Church to All Saints (see above), Barton Street. © Graeme Harvey.
U.R.C. on Park Road. SO 830 184. Howard Richter advises that this was originally the Whitefield Memorial
Chapel (Presbyterian). © Graeme Harvey. Bruce Cunningham advised in 2019 that
this is now the Redeemed Christian Church of God (link).
19 May 2021
© Steve Bulman