|Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
Gateshead on Wikipedia.
Churches at Bensham, Dunston, Felling.
Corpus Christi (R.C.). NZ 2561. © Bill Henderson.
The Immaculate Heart of Mary (R.C.) at Lobley Hill. NZ 2318
Bill Henderson. Link.
St. Helen at Low Fell. © Bill Henderson. Two old postcard views -
1, 2 - both from Reg Dosell's Collection. Link.
Grade II* listed.
St. John at
Gateshead Fell. © Bill Henderson.
St. Joseph (R.C.). NZ 2563. © Bill Henderson.
Three interior views -
3, all ©
St. Mark (Methodist). © Bill Henderson.
The former St. Mary
on Oakwellgate, now used as a Visitor and Tourist Information Centre. NZ 254 637. © Steve Bulman.
Another view, © Alan
Blacklock, and another ©
Bill Henderson (2018).
St. Mary (1822) at Heworth.
NZ 287 619.
© Peter Morgan. An old postcard view, from Alan
Grade II listed.
St. Ninian in the parish of Hurlow Lane and
Lamesley. © Bill Henderson.
St. Thomas at Eighton
Banks. Another view.
Both © Norman Cummings (2015).
view. Both © Mike Forbester.
U.R.C. on Cromer Avenue. NZ
2559. © Bill Henderson.
Methodist Church. NZ 2581 6007.
© Bill Henderson.
Grade II listed.
Methodist Church (1882) on Victoria Road. © Ian Soulsby.
Bensham Gospel Hall. NZ 2462. © Bill Henderson.
St. Chad. © Bill Henderson.
St. Cuthbert. The
grade II listing dates it to 1848, with the north aisle added in
1875. At the time of Bill's photo it was derelict, and
was due to be demolished, but there was discussion about rebuilding it at the Beamish Open
Air Museum. NZ 2478 6234. © Bill Henderson. Howard Richter has confirmed that the move to Beamish never
happened, and it has been converted to secular use. An Estate Agents
notice is available
here. A video
of its cafe.
Synagogue. © Bill Henderson.
U.R.C. © Bill Henderson.
Whitehall Road Methodist Church,
on Whitehall Road and Coatsworth Road. Originally New Connexion, opening
in 1896, it was later United Methodist. The New Connexion congregation
had previously been in Bethesda New Connexion Chapel on
Melbourne Street, Barn Close, which is probably the one noted
here as having been built in 1836. The chapel was demolished in
1964, and even the street no longer exists, but it stood at NZ 2538
6333. In this 2019
Streetview, the site of the chapel is handily marked by the yellow
box on the road, its width was almost exactly the same as the length of
the box, and the width of the entire road was about the same as the
length of the chapel. A photo of it is available
here. It is significant in the history of William Booth, later to
found the Salvation Army, who had his first permanent post here. NZ
2533 6207. © Bill Henderson.
Dunston Hill Methodist Church. NZ 2266 6168. © Bill
St. Nicholas with Christ Church
on Ellison Road. NZ 2266 6160. © Bill Henderson.
St. Philip (R.C.) on
Ellison Road. NZ 2337 6189. ©
St. Alban at Windy Nook. © David Gallimore.
St. Patrick (R.C.). © David Gallimore. Another view, © Peter Morgan.
Windy Nook Methodist Church, and the
modern extension. Both © David Gallimore.