The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
All Saints Minster. Although probably founded in the 7th century, the present building is mostly from the rebuild of 1767 by John Carr. SE 2459 2153. © Bill Henderson. Another view, © Stan Walker, and another, © David Regan (2021). Link. Grade II* listed.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, on Halifax Road. SE 238 226. © Bill Henderson.
Church of the Nazarene, a former textile club. © David Regan (2010).
Dewsbury Gospel Hall, in a former Temperance Hall. © David Regan (2010).
Dewsbury Revival Centre (Branch Christian Ministries), formerly St. Mark. © Bill Henderson. When Bill took this photo, St. Mark had ceased to be used as a church. David Regan advised in 2011 of the new church having opened in 2010 - see Link.
Dewsbury Spiritualist Church. © David Regan (2011). Link.
Friends Meeting House. © David Regan (2011).
The former Glory Band Tabernacle, was a dance hall in the 1940's. © David Regan (2010).
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. © David Regan (2011).
The shared central Methodist and Elim Pentecostal church. © Bill Henderson. David Regan has advised (in 2011) that the building has now been bought outright by Elim, and that the Methodists no longer worship here.
Methodist Church at Westborough. © Bill Henderson.
Moorend Lane Chapel at Dewsbury Moor, in 1910. Photo is on an external website. Link advised by David Regan. Janet Gimber has been looking at old maps, and advises that the church has been demolished, and housing built on the site. The church was built in 1874, and re-built in 1934, so the photo shows the earlier building. It still shows as surviving on the 1989 map. Janet has also found evidence for it having finally closed in 1994. It was variously known as Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel, and later Kilpin Hill Zion Primitive Methodist Church.
A Mosque was previously Salem Chapel. © David Regan (2010).
The site of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, which stood at the junction of Wellington Road and Wheelwright Street. Its My Primitive Methodists entry dates the original chapel to 1865-6, replaced on the same site by a re-build of 1886, and closure circa 1944. The surviving Sunday School is shown in David's photo; the chapel stood in what is now the car park to the right, gable-end to the road. SE 2424 2162. © David Regan (2020).
St. John the Evangelist at Boothroyd. © Bill Henderson.
The former St. Mary at Savile Town, demolished in the mid-1960's. Photo is on an external website. Link advised by David Regan.
The former St. Matthew (now used as sheltered accommodation). © Bill Henderson.
The former Springfield Chapel on Halifax Road, demolished in the 1950's. Photo is on an external website. Link advised by David Regan.
The demolished Trinity Chapel (1870). This was Congregational, and stood on Halifax and Wellington Roads, at SE 2447 2198. The congregation merged with Dewsbury Ebenezer, forming Dewsbury United Congregational Church in 1907-8. While both churches continued in use for some years, Trinity Chapel went out of use in the early 1920's, and by 1933 it was a cinema, becoming the Rex Social Club in the 1980's. It was knocked down in the 1985 to make way for a new road. Photo is on an external website. The site today can be seen here on Google Streetview, and the people on the central reservation would have been standing close to the nearest corner of the church railings in the photo.
U.R.C. on Long Causeway.
This was originally Ebenezer Congregational Church. SE 2464
Bill Henderson. Another view,
© David Regan (2020).
Grade II listed.
Church on Swindon Street. This was at one time, Elim Pentecostal Church. It was then leased to New Horizons church, which has
since moved out. David says it has obviously been extensively restored recently,
but he doesn't know what its intended future use will be. To judge by
appearances, the church is also older than its use by the Elim Church. SE 244 219. © David
Regan (2011). In fact it was a Unitarian Church (1866). © unitarian.co.uk. These, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website
here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of
Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters.
My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
26 April 2021
© Steve Bulman