The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Ashcroft Church (Methodist and U.R.C.). © Graeme Harvey.
Baptist Church (1856) on Coxwell Street. SP 0215 0216. © Janet Gimber (2016). News story with numerous photos (post-conversion, to residential use). Grade II listed. Its gate and railings have their own separate grade II listing.
Friends' Meeting House (1673) on Thomas Street. Unitarians also meet here. © Janet Gimber (2016).
Gosditch Street Chapel is now the parish office for St. John the Baptist, but was previously used by the Unitarians, and the Presbyterians. © Janet Gimber (2016).
St. John the Baptist, a splendid church. The various aisles and chapels can be seen in this view. And behind the cross can be seen how the flying buttresses were built into the walls. SP 022 020. All © Steve Bulman. Interior view. © Graeme Harvey. An old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection. The following are all © Richard Bedford - another view, interior view, side chapel, another side chapel and a window. Two more interiors - 1, 2, both © Peter Morgan (2015). And another old postcard, this one from Michael Steingold, and previously in the Unknown section, was identified by Phil Draper and Bill Davison. Link1. Link2. Link3.
Salvation Army on Thomas Street. This was originally a Temperence Hall (1846). Unitarians also met here at one time. © Janet Gimber (2016).
Sheep Street Chapel, founded in 1839, was originally Congregational, but only survived as a chapel for a few decades. It was converted into a public hall in 1888, whereupon its was named as Apsley Hall. War memorials were added in 1919 - these are visible against the front corners of the building. It was given by Lord Bathurst (on whose land it stood) to the Memorial Hospital (which stands opposite - see next entry) in 1921. Since 1990 it has been Cirencester Memorial Centre, providing mental health care. © Janet Gimber (2016).
Spiritualists met in room 4 of the Old Memorial Hospital (1873) on Sheep Street. Given the state of the building, Janet assumes they don't meet here any longer. © Janet Gimber (2016).
Weavers Hall (part of St. Thomas's Hospital on Thomas Street is the oldest extant secular building in the town, and was at one time used for Baptist services. John Wesley also preached here in 1787. A plaque gives a little more detail. Both © Janet Gimber (2016). Link.
The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Gloucester Street. Now called Barton Hall, it seems to be in use as offices. © Janet Gimber (2016).
19 May 2021
© Steve Bulman