The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former All Saints on Westonzoyland Road, now in secular use. ST 3066 3683. © Mike Berrell (2016).
A one-time Bible Christian Chapel stands on Polden Street at ST 3048 3733. They had previously met in a tin tabernacle on Bath Road from 1866-1876, but moved to their newly-built premises in the latter year. The building was sold in 1911 for industrial use. It can be seen on a 2009 Streetview here and in 2015 here.
Christ Church (Unitarian) on Dampiet Street. The present building is a re-build of 1788, the previous church dated from exactly 100 years earlier. The poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge preached here in 1797 and 1798. ST 2996 3692. © Adam McCurdy (2015). Link1. Link2. Grade II* listed.
A Congregational Chapel was built on Fore Street in 1862-4. Successor to Zion (for which see below), Superdrug occupies the site today, though it stands further forward than the chapel did. The site can be seen on a 2018 Streetview here. An engraving of the chapel, and photos of the interior, along with a good history, are available here. ST 2995 3706.
An Elim Pentecostal Church (now demolished) once stood on George Street, at ST 2993 3701. It had previously been the Sunday School for the Congregational Chapel listed above. Now an access road and car park, its 2018 Streetview can be seen here.
The former Elim Pentecostal Church (now The Gallery, a pub) stands on a pedestrianised area at the end of Clare Street/High Street, at ST 2963 3699. At the time of its grade I listing (1994), it was confusingly described as Elim Pentecostal Church, then as "Public House, now a shop". The website for The Gallery tells us that it opened as a pub/club in 1999, having been "transformed from an old church". Whenever the Elim Church left, they then became ChainBreakers Church, for which, see above. The building, as it was in 2009 can be seen on a Streetview, here, and it remains unchanged in a 2018 Streetview.
Friarn Chapel (Open Brethren) on Friarn Street. ST 2986 3686. © Graeme Harvey.
The former Holy Rosary Conventwas originally a home, later a school, then convent, is now in use as a care home. Not accessible by Streetview, the care home website has some exterior and interior photos. ST 2787 3660. Grade II listed.
Holy Trinity (1961) on Hamp Street. ST 29897 36002. © Mike Berrell (2016). Link. Its predecessor of the same name stood on Taunton Road at ST 2995 3680. Built circa 1839, it was closed in 1958 and subsequently demolished. It stood on what are now gardens, and can be seen here in a 2018 Streetview - note some surviving headstones beneath the tree at left. Here's a useful history, with exterior and interior photos.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on The Drove (1986). It was preceded by a so far un-located meeting somewhere on Old Taunton Road from 1971. ST 3045 3777. Its Streetview can be seen here in 2017 and here in 2014.
The former Mariners' Chapel on St. John Street can be seen on a 2016 Streetview. The date-stone is for 1837, and it continued until 1960 when it was sold for commercial use. Its convoluted history is documented here, about half way down. A new Chapel was built in 1961 - for which see the Salvation Army entry, below.
Methodist Church on Monmouth Street. ST 3032 3716. © Mike Berrell (2016).
Newtown King's Church meet at St. George's Newtown Hall on Kendale Road, Newtown. ST 2918 3749. © Mike Berrell (2016).
Quaker Meeting House (1722, with later alteration and extension) on Friarn Street. ST 2987 3688. © Graeme Harvey. Grade II listed. Mike Berrell advises that since Graeme took his photo, the Meeting has been sold, and is now the Islamic Centre and Mosque. They now meet at the Arts Centre on Castle Street. © Mike Berrell (2016).
Quantock Road Cemetery Chapel (1928) on Quantock Road. ST 281 370. © Mike Berrell (2014).
St. Joseph (R.C., 1882) on Binford Place. In the background at left is the former Wesleyan Chapel. The side aisle, and two interior views - 1, 2, the latter showing the more modern nave extension. ST 3004 3702. All © Adam McCurdy (2015). Its likely predecessor, St. Joseph of Arimathea was built on Gordon Terrace at ST 3040 3702 in 1846, closing (presumably) in 1882 (although this source, which includes photos, says closure was in 1878). Before the 1846 chapel was built, the congregation (formed in 1845) met in a private house. The site can be seen here in 2009, and here after the construction of housing, in 2014.
St. Mary on St. Mary Street. ST 2977 3699. © George Weston. An old engraving, dated 1887, from Colin Waters' Collection. Another view, and external tomb recesses, both © Adam McCurdy (2015). Another view, © Mike Berrell (2016). Another view, and a gargoyle, both © Kelvin Mills. Grade I listed.
Salvation Army, Bridgwater Corps, Moorland Road. This was built in 1961 as successor to the Mariners' Chapel, for which see above; it became Baptist in 1965. ST 3158 3677. © Mike Berrell (2016).
A United Free Methodist building stands (or stood) at ST 2986 3691, completely surrounded by other buildings. Because it can't be seen on Streetview, how much, if any, survives is at present unknown. Access to the building is perhaps this alleyway off St. Mary Street, seen on a Streetview of 2009. Built as a Wesleyan Reform Chapel in 1855, it became U.F.M. in 1857. Closed in 1907 after merger with the Bible Christian congregation on Polden Street (for which, see above), the building was later used as a cinema and a club. The U.F.M.'s also had a chapel on Polden Street, noted circa 1886. It's not known at present when it was first built or occupied, but it doesn't seem to have continued in use for long into the twentieth century, with closure perhaps by 1904. The building on the site today (2014 Streetview) is evidently of some vintage, but whether it has any fabric from the chapel is so far unknown.
At one time, the closed Wembdon Road Cemetery had two mortuary chapels, but neither survives. A general view of the cemetery can be seen here on a 2019 Streetview. The Anglican Chapel was at ST 2901 3695, and the non-conformist at ST 2903 3700.
Zion Congregational Chapel was built in 1822 on Friarn Street at ST 2967 3682. It became a Salvation Army Citadel from circa 1880. In its latter guise, it can be seen in an old photo here in 1937. When the Streetview van visited in 2009 the site was empty, but in 2018 the builders were in.
03 July 2020
© Steve Bulman