The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Bolton, Greater Manchester
See also Farnworth.
This first church is an unknown. Chris Hampson has asked for help in identifying a church shown here on the website of the University of Manchester Archive and Record Centre. The event is clearly shown as Lancashire Missionary Conference, Bolton, 1908, but where the picture was taken is a mystery. The railings (which, if the building still stands, are unlikely to be there, as they will have been removed for the war effort) are quite ornamental. The regular (and probably architectural rather than functional) short buttresses are fairly distinctive. Chris has ruled out two possible locations - Hebron Hall which opened a year after the conference, and a Gospel Hall on Commission Street. Can you advise Chris of the location?
Al-Falah Mosque on Salisbury Street. SD 709 087. © Mike Berrell.
All Souls (1881-1987) on Astley Street is redundant and in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Another view. SD 714 108. Both © Mike Berrell. Link1. Link2. Grade II* listed. Since 2013 The Mission Parish of Our Lady and St Edward (Anglican Catholic Church) has met here - previously they had met at the former Congregational Church on Blackburn Road (see below).
Bank Street Unitarian Chapel (1856). SD 718 094. © Martin Briscoe.
Barrow Bridge Mission (CoE) on Barrow Bridge Road, Barrow Bridge. SD 689 117. © Mike Berrell (2012). Link.
Bethel Church on Clarence Street. SD 716 097. © Martin Briscoe.
Bolton Apostolic Church - see Breightmet, Red Lane U.R.C., below.
Bolton Methodist Mission (Victoria Hall), on Knowsley Street, as seen by Streetview in 2022. SD 7158 0944. Link, which dates it to 1900.
Bolton Salvation Army Citadel, Great Moor Street. © Rob Brettle.
The former Bridge Street Wesleyan Chapel (1804) on St. George's Street, now in secular use. SD 717 096. © Mike Berrell. Link.
Central Baptist Church on Snowden Street. SD 710 097. © Mike Berrell.
Chalfont Street Independent Methodist Church (1888), on Chalfont Street. SD 716 107. From "A Souvenir of the Hundredth Annual Meeting of the Independent Methodist Churches", 1905, in David Collier's Collection. A modern view, © David Collier (2015), who believes it is used by the Asian community, but for what purpose he isn't sure.
The long-demolished Christ Church (1841-1933) stood on Deane Road. SD 748 110. Copyright Bolton Council. Reproduced here by the efforts of Mike Berrell, and by kind permission of the Bolton Museum and Archive Service. David Collier has advised that the site is now occupied by "Christ Church Garden".
Christ Church on Blackburn Road, Walmsley. SD 711 142. © Martin Briscoe. Another view, © Mike Berrell (2012). Link. Grade II listed - link.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Gaskell Street. SD 710 099. © Mike Berrell (2012).
The demolished Commission Street Unitarian Chapel and Sunday Schools, built 1868. SD 712 088. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
The former Congregational Church (1897 - 1990) on Blackburn Road, now in secular use. SD 716 106. © Mike Berrell. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the War Memorial. All © Mike Berrell (2012). Between 2011 and 2013 The Mission Parish of Our Lady and St Edward (Anglican Catholic Church) met in the vestry. They now meet in All Souls Church on Astley Street (see above). © Mike Berrell (2012). Link.
The former Delph Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church on Chorley Old Road, Delph Hill, is now used as a community centre. SD 687 105. © Mike Berrell (2012). David Collier advises that this building has since been demolished, and The Triangle erected in its place. The combined congregations of Delph Hill, Chorley Old Road Methodist (now in use as a nursery), and the Seymour Road Methodist Church. The latter, most recently known as the Theatre Church, was demolished in 2015.
The former Elim Pentecostal Church on Moor Lane. SD 712 091. From an old newspaper clipping (1947) in David Collier's Collection.
The former Emmanuel Parish Church (1839 - 1990) on Cannon Street has been converted to flats - "Stone Church". SD 708 084. © Mike Berrell. This photo dates from 1988, before conversion work commenced, as does this photo of some charming carved heads. Both © David Collier. Another view, © Bob Thornley (2008).
The long-demolished Folds Road Independent Methodist Church ( - 1888), was succeeded by a new building (1888-9). This in its turn was also demolished to make way for the town centre bypass. Both from "A Souvenir of the Hundredth Annual Meeting of the Independent Methodist Churches", 1905, in David Collier's Collection.
The former Great Moor Street Congregational Church can be seen in an old newspaper clipping, looking along Mawdesley Street. Another partial view. Both from David Collier's Collection. A modern photo, showing the building erected on the site. SD 717 090. © David Collier (1988).
Hebron Christian Church on Mayor Street. SD 710 087. © Mike Berrell.
The former Holy Trinity on Trinity Street (1826 - 1993), now disused. SD 719 087. © Mike Berrell.
Holy Trinity on Church Road, Prestolee. Interior view. Stained glass windows. SD 755 058. All © Mike Berrell. David Collier has advised that this has now been converted into flats, with the first lettings in 2014.
Independent Methodist Chapel (1872) on Noble Street. SD 711 084. © Mike Berrell.
Jamia Alavia Bolton Mosque (Sufi - Bareilvi) on Bromwich Street. This was previously First Church of Christ, Scientist. SD 725 088. © Mike Berrell (2012). Link.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Noble Street. SD 710 084. © Mike Berrell.
Krishna Temple on Beverley Road. SD 701 095. © Mike Berrell. David Collier advises that this was built as Independent Methodist.
Methodist Church at Delph Hill. © Martin Briscoe.
Former New Jerusalem Church (1844) on Higher Bridge Street - now in secular use. SD 716 096. © Mike Berrell.
The former Peace Street Methodist Church closed (David thinks) in the 1970's, and re-opened shortly thereafter as a Mosque. Although it doesn't display a notice board, David thinks this is probably part of Jamia Zakariyya Masjid Mosque and Islamic Cultural Centre. David thinks this is still in use for teaching and meetings, but a new Mosque was built on an adjoining site in about 2006/8. © David Collier.
St. Andrew and St. George (U.R.C.) on St. George's Road. SD 715 095. © Mike Berrell.
St. Edmund (R.C.) on St. Edmund Street. Interior view. SD 719 087. Both © Mike Berrell.
The former St. George on St. George's Road (currently disused, but has been in use as shops). SD 715 095. © Philip Kapp. Another view. © Mike Berrell.
St. Mark, built in 1866 and demolished in 1973, stood on St. Mark's Street and Fletcher Street (SD 717 081). Link is to an external website, with many church photos.
The former St. Mary of the Assumption (R.C.; 1847 - 1987) on Palace Street, now in secular use as a restaurant. SD 716 096. © Mike Berrell.
The former St. Matthew on Mount Street, built 1874, closed 1982, and demolished in 1988 due to dry rot. This later photo shows it after the spire was taken down. SD 710 103. Both reproduced here by the efforts of Mike Berrell, and by kind permission of Halliwell Local History Society.
St. Patrick (R.C., 1861) on Great Moor Street. SD 718 090. © Martin Briscoe. Interior view, © John Balaam (2012).
The former St. Paul on Deansgate. SD 714 092. © Mike Berrell. Thanks to Raymond Jarrett for advising the dedication, and that it's now in use as flats.
St. Paul with Emmanuel on Vicarage Street. Interior view. SD 707 082. Both © Mike Berrell. David Collier advises that when Emmanuel Parish Church (see above) closed, the congregation amalgamated with that of St. Paul's Deansgate. The present church was then built. Another view. © David Collier.
St. Peter on Churchgate. SD 720 093. © Elizabeth Clarke. Another view. © Martin Briscoe. Link.
St. Saviour (CoE) at Ringley. Interior view. SD 764 052. Both © Mike Berrell.
St. Stephen and All Martyrs (1842) on Hag End Brow, Lever Bridge, Darcy Lever. Mike advises it is nicknamed "The Pot Church". It is the UK's most famous terra cotta church. The architect was Edmund Sharpe. Even the pew ends and backs are produced from terra cotta. The church obviously has something missing. The spire was removed in 1939, and the splendid lantern tower in 1966 by Fred Dibnah, who lived nearby. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. SD 733 085. All © Mike Berrell (2012). Link.
Seventh-day Adventist Church on Deane Road. SD 710 087. © Mike Berrell.
Shree Swaminaravan Mandir Temple on Deane Road, formerly a Unitarian Church. SD 708 089. © Mike Berrell.
Smithills Hall Chapel on Smithills Dean Road. SD 700 119. © Mike Berrell (2012).
Society of Friends (Quakers) on Silverwell Street, with St. Peter behind. SD 720 092. © Martin Briscoe.
Spiritualist Church (SNU, 1872) on Bradford Street. SD 724 090. © Mike Berrell (2012). Link.
The former The Saviour (1881, demolished 1973) stood on Deane Lane. SD 704 084. Copyright Bolton Council. From the collections of Bolton Museum and Archive Service. Reproduced here by the efforts of Mike Berrell, and by kind permission of the Bolton Museum and Archive Service. David Collier has also sent in a an old photo, as reproduced in a local newspaper. Bob Harrison has an old church magazine dating from 1940, which has an illustration of the church. He has also advised of the following links - 1, 2.
Thornleigh Salesian College Chapel (R.C.) on Sharples Park, Sharples. SD 708 118. © Mike Berrell (2012).
Ukrainian Catholic Church, formerly All Saints, on All Saints Street. SD 718 096. © Martin Briscoe. Another view.
Unity Church (Unitarian and Free Christian, 1866), The Gatheouse, Chorley New Road. SD 702 093. © Mike Berrell. Link.
Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (dating from 1819) on Fletcher Street, now in secular use. SD 713 085. © Mike Berrell.
The long-demolished Wesleyan Methodist Church
on Tonge Moor Road. Dated 1887, David thinks it was demolished in the 1960's or 1970's. SD 728 104. From an old newspaper clipping in David Collier's
Kearsley and Kearsley Mount
© Steve Bulman