|
|
County Donegal
County Donegal on Wikipedia.
Ardara,
Methodist Church. © Graeme Harvey.
Ballintra,
St. Brigid (R.C.). Link.
Drumholm Parish Church (CoI).
Methodist Church. All © Graeme
Harvey.
Ballybrack,
St. Mary. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. Although the postcard
gives the location as Moville (under which this entry was previously listed),
Ben Palmer has advised that the present Parish Church is St. Pius, built in 1953
in Moville town centre. The old parish church is St. Mary, a couple of miles
away in Ballybrack, which is still commonly used for marriages and burials. A
modern view. © Ben Palmer.
Ballyshannon, St. Patrick (R.C.). Another view. Both © Graeme Harvey. An
old postcard view,
from Reg Dosell's Collection. Interior
view, © Joseph Cantwell.
Killbarron Parish Church (CoI). © Graeme Harvey. Former Presbyterian Church - services ceased in 2007.
G 873 615. © Gerard Close. St. Joseph (R.C.), known locally as St. Josephs the Rock. G 871 611. © Gerard Close.
Bridgetown, the Gospel
Hall. G 9223 7182. © Graeme Harvey.
Bruckless, St. Joseph and St. Conall (R.C.).
G 7484 7710. © Graeme Harvey.
Link dates it to 1911. Old O.S. maps indicate Old
R.C. Chapel immediately west of the present church. Its site will be
among the trees immediately to the right of the church in this
2025 Streetview.
Bundoran, Finner Parish Church (CoI)
on Church Road and the R267.
In 2026 Google Streetmap labels it as Christ Church. G 8179 5879. ©
Graeme Harvey.
Link
dates it to 1839. The former Presbyterian Church
on the R267. G 8136 5869. © Graeme Harvey. The building was being offered for
sale in 2025 - Streetview. Church of The
Immaculate Conception (R.C.) on Church Road. G 8204 5868. © Gerard Close. Since the previous photo was taken, the Catholic church has been refurbished,
and re-dedicated as Our Lady Star of the
Sea. © Gerard Close (2011).
Link dates
it to 1857-9, and mentions its predecessor which stood nearby. Old maps show it
on Main Street at G 8189 5884. Its site is now under grass, beside the
Hotel Holyrood - 2025
Streetview. O.S. maps show, to the N.E. of the town,
Church (in ruins) at G 8347 6003.
2022 Streetview. The former Methodist Church
on Main Street, now a coffee shop. Old maps show it to have been originally
Wesleyan. G 8204 5903. © Gerard Close.
Carrickfinn. ©
Lorraine Waddington.
Carrigart, St. John the Baptist (R.C., 1886). C 130 366. © Gerard Close (2014).
Castlefin, St. Mary (R.C.). © Graeme Harvey.
Clar, St.
Agatha (R.C.). © Graeme Harvey.
Donegal.
Greencastle, St. Finian (CoI, 1738). © Ben Palmer (2006).
Gweedore. ©
Lorraine Waddington.
Killaghtee,
St. Peter (CoI). © Graeme Harvey.
Killybegs,
St. Mary. © Graeme Harvey.
Kilmacrenan, St. Finian and St. Mark (CoI). C 140 204. © Gerard Close (2014).
Killymard, St. Mary (R.C.). G 931 802. The old church stands opposite. Both ©
Gerard Close (2011).
Laghey, the
Parish Church (CoI). © Graeme Harvey.
Letterkenny, St. Eunan's Cathedral
(R.C.). © Graeme Harvey. An old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection.
Link.
Trinity Presbyterian Church.
© Graeme Harvey.
Link.
Conwal Parish Church (CoI).
© Graeme Harvey. Link.
Lifford, Church of Slugadius (CoI). ©
Graeme Harvey.
Liscooley, Donoughmore Presbyterian
Church. © Graeme Harvey.
Lough Derg, Basilica of St. Patrick (1930). A place of pilgrimage for over 1500 years, photography is not allowed on the
island, so this was taken from the opposite shore. H 083 733. Link. For those unable to make the journey across to the
island, St. Brigid's Chapel of Ease was built. J 090 732. Both © Gerard Close (2013).
Lough Eske, Christ Church (CoI). ©
Graeme Harvey.
Moville, St. Pius X (R.C., 1953). © Ben Palmer (2006).
Link1. Link2.
Pettigo,
Catholic Church. Templecarne Parish Church
(CoI). Both © Graeme Harvey.
Rossnowlagh,
Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (R.C.) at the Franciscan Friary. G 866 673. Presbyterian Church
(1906). G 878 672. Gerry had advised that this was the only Tin Church still in
use in Ireland, but Adam McCurdy has been in touch to say that there is at least
one other in Rearcross, Co. Tipperary (see
here).
Liam Kenny has advised of another at Sallins, Co. Kildate (see
here).
St. John (CoI). G 909 696. All ©
Gerard Close. The remains of St. Barran (15th century). G 857 660. © Gerard Close (2013).
Shrove, St. Joseph (R.C.,1947). Both © Ben Palmer (2006).
Link1. Link2.
Stranorlar.
Termon, St. Columba (R.C.,
1854). C 116 223. © Gerard Close (2014).
Urney,
Christ Church (CoI). © Graeme Harvey.
|
|