The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Denbighshire

Denbighshire on Wikipedia.

Bodelwyddan, St. Margaret. Frank Joinson. An old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection. Another old postcard view, this one of the nave. From Steve Bulman's Collection. Another old postcard, this one from Paul E. Barnett's Collection. The multi-faith chapel in Ysbyty Glan Clwyd Hospital (1981). Carl Hogan (2014).
Bodfari, St. Stephen. Martin Briscoe. Another view. Carl Hogan. Despite having been painted since Martin took his photo, Carl says it seemed to be in disrepair, so possibly no longer in use. Can you advise?
Brookhouse, Capel Brookhouse (Calvinistic Methodist). The former Baptist Chapel. Gervase remembers the building being derelict about 10 years ago (ca. 2001). Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Bryneglwys, St. Tysilio (CiW). Eirian Evans. Link.

Carrog, St. Ffraid (CiW). Another view. Link. Chapel (1895). Seion Chapel. The date-stone, which is in a poor condition, probably says 1872. All Peter Morgan (2012).
Cefn, St. Mary. Eirian Evans.
Corwen.
Cwm, St. Mael and St. Sulien. SJ 055 395. Mike Berrell. Link.
Cynwyd, St. John the Evangelist (CiW). Interior view, and the altar and window. Link. Bethel Chapel (1896). Another view. Bethania Chapel (1876). Carmel Chapel (1889). All Peter Morgan (2013).

Denbigh.
Derwen, the redundant St. Mary, now in the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches. Two interiors - 1, 2, the altar, font, and a fine window. All Iain Taylor. Link. Grade I listed.
Dyserth, St. Bridget (CiW). SJ 056 794. Link. The former Mynydd Seion Addoldy Wesleyaid Chapel (1896), now in secular use. SJ 060 791. Chapel. SJ 056 793. All Mike Berrell. Horeb U.R.C. on High Street. Carl Hogan (2014). Link.

Efenechtyd, St. Michael, dates back at least to Norman times. Eirian Evans. Link.

Froncysyllte, St. David (CiW). The former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1914), now in commercial use. Both Peter Morgan (2012).

Glasfryn, the former Peniel Chapel. Built in 1823, it's now semi-derelict. Eirian Evans.
Glyndyfrdwy, St. Thomas. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. The equivalent modern view, and two other views - 1, 2, all Peter Morgan (2012). Link. Baptist Chapel (1906), undergoing repairs. Gerard Charmley (2012). The chapel later in the same year, and the date-stone (1824, 1841 and 1906), both Peter Morgan (2012). Seion Wesleyan Chapel. Gerard Charmley (2012). The former Capel y Glyn Chapel (Methodist, built as Calvinistic), Peter Morgan (2012).
Gwyddelwern, St. Beuno, re-built in 1880. Link. Grade II* listed. Moriah Chapel (1824, renovated 2009). Wesleyaid Chapel (1870). All Peter Morgan (2013).

Llandegla, St. Tecla. Eirian Evans. Link. The (former?) Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). Independent Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, now the Village Hall. Gervase advises that this was the chapel where E. Tegla Davies (Wesleyan minister and Welsh-language author) went. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Llandrillo, St. Trillo (CiW). SJ 034 371. Peter Morgan (2012). Grade II listed (there are also listings for the nearby churchyard entrance gates, a sun-dial, and a tomb). Capel Herman (Presbyterian Church of Wales, 1881), Peter Morgan (2012). A 2016 Streetview. SJ 0332 3715. Coflein entry, which says it was built in 1880. Capel Hananeel (Congregational, 1826, re-built 1879). Peter Morgan (2012). Although previously listed as possibly the former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Howard Richter has shown that it is in fact the CiW Sunday School. It stands at SJ 0345 3715. It has a Coflein entry. Peter Morgan (2012). Howard has also advised of some additional chapels - Capel Seion (Wesleyan) is located at SJ 0353 3709, and is a 1884 re-build of a chapel originally built in 1804. It has been converted to residential use. A 2016 Streetview is available here. An 1888 map shows a "Methodist Chapel (Calvinistic)" at SJ 0336 3695. This is possibly Capel Salem noted by Coflein here. If this identification is correct, then it was built in 1822, and re-built in 1880. Streetview shows a building at this site here, and here, the latter showing a pair of old gate piers. This is all rather tentative, so if you can confirm any of this, please let me know.
Llandyrnog, Capel y Dyffryn (Methodist). Eirian Evans.
Llanelidan, St. Elidan. Dating back to Norman times, it has been restored several times. Link. Zion Wesleyan Chapel, dating from 1804. Cefn y Wern Chapel - one of the Tin Chapels. All Eirian Evans.
Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Capel y Gloch, Jesus Chapel. A plaque says that the chapel was founded in 1619 by Rice Williams, consecrated in 1623 and rebuilt in 1787. Capel Salem (Methodist). Both Eirian Evans.
Llanferres, the parish church. Martin Briscoe.
Llangar, All Saints. Eirian Evans. Link.
Llangollen.
Llangynhafal, St. Cynhafal (his only dedication). Eirian Evans. Link.
Llanrhaeadr, St. Dyfnog. SJ 081 633. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection - note the different spelling. Thanks to Mike Berrell who has advised the dedication, and provided the following Link. A modern view. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Llantysilio, St. Tysilio. Another view, and the interior. All Iain Taylor (2016). Link. Grade II* listed.
Llanychan, St. Hychan. Reputedly founded in the 5th century. Eirian Evans. Link.
Llanynys, St. Saeran. Like Llanychan, supposed to be of a very early foundation, though nothing pre-medieval survives. Eirian Evans. Link.
Llidiart y Parc, the former Beulah Chapel (1905), now a private residence. Another view. Both Peter Morgan (2012).

Maeshafn, the former Methodist Chapel, dating from 1820. It was enlarged in 1843 and 1852. Eirian Evans.
Meliden, St. Melyd. SJ 063 811. Link. Salem yr Eglwys Fethodistaidd on Meliden Road. SJ 062 809. Both Mike Berrell.

Pen-y-Stryt, Piscah Chapel. Eirian Evans.
Prestatyn.

Rhewl, Parish Church (1922), currently closed pending restoration. Link. Rhewl Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist), Another view. All Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Rhuallt, Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (1869). SJ 060 750. Mike Berrell. Former chapel (1880) now in secular use. Janet Gimber advises this was originally Calvinistic Methodist, but later became Rhuallt Presbyterian Church. SJ 075 750. Mike Berrell.
Rhuddlan.
Rhyl.
Ruthin.

St. Asaph.
Saron, Calvinist Methodist Chapel, dating from 1826. Eirian Evans.

Tafarn-Y-Gelyn, Old Chapel. Martin Briscoe.
Trefnant, Capel Trefnant (1840) on Station Yard. After consulting old maps, Howard Richter has advised that this was Wesleyan Methodist in 1875 and 1899, and Methodist in 1964. SJ 055 705. Carl Hogan.

Waen (north of Llandyrnog), Capel y Dyffryn. SJ 108 658. Martin Briscoe.
Waen (near Nantglyn), Soar Methodist Chapel (Calvinistic). The photo linked to is a Streetview of 2009. SH 9985 6223. Church website (in Welsh). The Coflein entry tells us that it originally dates from 1811, though the present building is of the re-build of 1862. Alternative sources give a foundation date of 1801. Grade II listed (chapel and school). The associated stable of 1811 is also grade II listed.
Whitchurch, St. Marcella. SJ 071 663. Martin Briscoe.

 

 
 

Home

18 January 2020

Steve Bulman

Contact Details