The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Willington, County Durham
A map of 1898 shows two Chapels in Sunnybrow, both on Queen Street, at NZ 1953 3428 and NZ 1959 3423. A later edition (1920) now labels the first chapel as Church, and the second as U.M. Ch. In 1946 they show as (first) Meth. Ch. and (second) Ch. Queen Street is now Wareham Way. The first chapel survives, as a gym, and was seen by Streetview in 2023. The second chapel has been replaced by housing (the end of the terrace) - 2024 Streetview. The first chapel can be seen in the background. Shown on a map of 1861 is a Methodist Chapel (New Connexion) at NZ 1978 3514. This source, which has an old illustration, calls it High Willington Chapel, and dates it to 1855-1967 (latterly as Methodist). Demolished, as of 2024 its site (Streetview) remains undeveloped. The Methodist Church on Lydia Street and Wesley Street was built as Wesleyan in 1874. NZ 1999 3520. © Peter Morgan (2013). The cemetery on the A690, a little way east of St. Stephen, has a Mortuary Chapel (2018 Streetview). NZ 2104 3525. Our Lady and St. Thomas (R.C.) on Cumberland Terrace. Another view. NZ 1957 3544. Both © Peter Morgan (2013). Grade II listed, wherein it's dated to 1903-5. What is surely its predecessor shows on earlier maps just a few yards to the south, still on Cumberland Terrace, at NZ 1955 3536. It may survive as part of the school building, seen by Streetview in 2024. A former Presbyterian Church stands at the end of an apparently un-named side road off High Street, at NZ 1949 3532. It pre-dates a map of 1897, and was labelled as Hall on maps from after the church in the next entry had been built. It was seen by Streetview in 2024. Another former Presbyterian Church (thus named on a map of 1947) stands on North Lane and West End Terrace at NZ 1930 3552. 2024 Streetview. A Primitive Methodist Chapel shows on a map of 1897 set back from High Street, at NZ 1960 3535. In a 2024 Streetview the chapel would have stood across the access road and housing on the left, starting about where the second house from the camera is. Old O.S. maps mark, to the S.W. of Willington at Sunnybrow, St. John, at NZ 1896 3476. Pre-dating a map of 1897, it shows as still active on mid-20th century maps, but has since been demolished. It stood with its long axis parallel to the road, and fairly close to it. A Streetview from 2023 shows the site, and what may be the surviving churchyard gate-piers. The Sunnybrow Wikipedia entry dates the church to 1889. St. Stephen, near the eastern end of the town. NZ 2091 3514. © Alan Blacklock. Link. Grade II listed. Willington Spiritualist Church on Chapel Street, as seen by Streetview in 2024. NZ 1979 3505. Link.
|
||
17 March 2025
© Steve Bulman