The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Bethesda Methodist Church on Westbury Hill and Waters Lane was founded in the early years of the 19th century as Wesleyan. The present building dates from 1889, and is the second on the site. ST 57255 77269. © Graeme Harvey (2010). Another view, © Carole Sage (2017), and another of a modern extension, © Carole Sage (2018). Link1 - see the history page for an illustration of the previous chapel. Link2.
Community Church (Evangelical) on Eastfield Road and Albert Place was originally the village school, and later an adult education centre. The church moved in in the early 1990's. ST 57421 77235. © Graeme Harvey (2010). Another view, © Carole Sage (2017). Link.
The Convent of Our Lady of Mercy has a small private chapel. The convent was founded in 1846, and a private school (St. Ursula's) was established by 1868. By the 1930's, the chapel was regarded as too small, so Sacred Heart (see below) was built on another part of the site. ST 57511 76580. © Carole Sage (2017). Two Loxton drawings - 1, 2. Grade II listed.
Elsie Briggs House on Church Road is used as The Well Centre for Spirituality. This 15th century cottage bequeathed to the Diocese of Bristol as an ecumenical House for contemplative prayer. Dr. Elsie Briggs of Bristol University lived here for about forty years. It's run as a Trust, and it has since bought the adjacent property to provide additional accommodation. The ancient door. ST 57281 77396. Both © Carole Sage (2017). Link. Grade II* listed.
Holy Trinity on Church Road. An interior view. ST 57334 77407. Both © Graeme Harvey (2010). Two further views - 1, 2, both © Carole Sage (2017). Two interior views - 1, 2, the altar, the pulpit, and the font, a selection of gargoyles and grotesques - 1, 2, 3, 4, and of the windows - 1, 2, 3, 4, all © Carole Sage (2018). Link1, which says the church was originally founded in circa 717 A.D., though this was an earlier church dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. The present fabric is largely of the 12th, 13th and 15th centuries. Link2. A Loxton drawing. Grade I listed.
River of Life Christian Centre on Trym Road was built in 1846 as Baptist. In the 1850's it was taken over by a splinter group of Wesleyans from Bethesda (see above), who were only re-united at Bethesda in the 1930's. Baptists again occupied the building for a few years prior to the building of the Baptist Church on Reedley Road (see above). It also had a few decades of non-religious use, but in the 1980's Beacon Gospel Church took it over. It came under its present ownership by 2012. Another view. ST 57382 77429. Both © Carole Sage (2017). Link.
Sacred Heart (R.C., 1939) on Grange Court Road was built as successor to the private chapel of the Convent of Our Lady of Mercy (see above). Interior view. ST 57446 76728. Both © Graeme Harvey (2010). Link.
St. Augustine on Cote lane is a private chapel, built to serve St. Monica's Home of Rest. It's now a retirement village, administered by St. Monica's Trust. ST 57159 76288. © Carole Sage (2017).
The Village Hall has a churchy look about it. Built by a local benefactor in 1869, it was used in conjunction with the parish church, and, being equipped with a pipe organ, was used for choir practice. However, it isn't known for certain if it was ever used for worship, so it's included here tentatively. The organ was transferred to St. Peter's in Henleaze in the 1920's. ST 57393 77282 . © Carole Sage (2017).
Westbury College on College Road. It was built in the mid 15th century, on the site of the Benedictine Priory of St. Mary, to house the Dean and Canons of Westbury (Collegiate) Church (now known as Holy Trinity). Following the Dissolution, it was converted into a private residence, and the buildings were gifted to the National Trust in 1907. Only College House, and the gatheouse, survive. Another view. ST 57251 77470. Both © Carole Sage (2017). Grade I listed.
27 January 2019
© Steve Bulman