The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Sheffield on Wikipedia.
 

Churches in Abbeydale, Broomhill, Chapeltown, Dore, Ecclesfield, Fulwood, Grenoside, Handsworth, High Green, Millhouses, Mosborough, Sharrow, Totley, Woodhouse.

All Saints on Ringinglow Road, Ecclesall. From an old postcard in Anne Paling's Collection. Previously in the Unknown section, this painting of a church interior belongs to Bill Scriven's brother, who didn't know the location. The small window high up to the right of the chancel arch is unusual, as are the niches between the lancets just above the altar. It was identified by Phil Draper. A modern view, Peter Fowler. Another view, and three interior views - 1, 2, 3, all Mike Berrell (2011). SK 316 843. Link.

Banner Cross Methodist Church on Eccleshall Road South, Banner Cross. Two interior views - 1, 2. SK 328 849. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.

Beauchief Abbey. Peter Fowler. Another view. Bill Henderson. And another, David Regan (2012). Link1. Link2.

Bents Green Methodist Church on Ringinglow Road, Bents Green. SK 316 843. Mike Berrell (2011). Link.

The former Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel. Gerard Charmley (2012).

The former Broom Street Mission Hall. Gerard Charmley (2012).

The former Carver Street Wesleyan Chapel. Gerard Charmley (2012).

The Cathedral of St. Peter & St. Paul. Peter Fowler. Another view. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

The former Catholic Apostolic Church. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Catholic Church of St. Charles Borromeo (R.C.) at Attercliffe. Interior view. Both Mike Forbester. Link.

Central U.R.C. stands on the site of Nether Chapel Congregational Church. Interior view. Both Gerard Charmley (2012).

Chinese Christian Church on Anns Road, Heeley. Bill Henderson (2011). Link.

Church of the Nazarene, on Fitzroy Road, Heeley Green. Bill Henderson (2011). Link.

Former Congregational Chapel (1846) on Garden Street, now Croft House Settlement. Gerard Charmley (2012). Link.

Friends' Meeting House. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Gleadless Methodist Church. Bill Henderson (2011). Link.

Our Lady of Lourdes (R.C.) on Springwater Avenue, Hackenthorpe  - interior view. Mike Forbester. Link.

St. Andrew (U.R.C.). Bill Henderson.

St. George, now used as a lecture theatre and student accommodation. Bill Henderson.

St. James at Norton. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A well travelled card this, having been posted from Sheffield to San Diego (probably in 1906, the franking is a little unclear).

St. John, at Park. Peter Fowler.

St. John at Ranmoor. Peter Fowler.

St. Marie, the Roman Catholic Cathedral. Peter Fowler. Link.

St. Mary at Bramall Lane. Peter Fowler.

St. Matthew (1854-5) on Carver Street. Peter Fowler. Interior view, and the altar, both Mike Forbester. Link. Grade II listed.

St. Michael's Chapel in St. Michael's Catholic Cemetery on Rivelin Valley Road. Built in 1877 and restored in 2005. SK 32249 88425. Richard Roberts. Link.

St. Silas (disused and increasingly derelict). Bill Henderson.

St. Stephen at Netherthorpe. Peter Fowler. Link.

St. Teresa of Lisieux (R.C.). Another view, and the interior. All Mike Forbester.

St. Vincent (R.C.). Gerard Charmley (2012).

Former Salvation Army Citadel. Rob Brettle.

The former Shearwood Road Baptist Church, now used by the university. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Unitarian Church at Upperthorpe. unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.

Upper Chapel (Unitarian) on Norfolk Street. Peter Fowler. Another view, by kind permission of James Barry, Unitarian HQ, London, and the efforts of Mike Berrell. Link.

Victoria Hall Methodist Church, which replaced Norfolk Street Wesleyan Chapel. Peter Fowler. Another view, Gerard Charmley (2012).

Wesley Hall Methodist Church. Peter Fowler.

The site of the vanished Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Sheffield Road at Fence. It pre-dates a map of 1892. SK 4412 8571. David Regan (2022).


Abbeydale
St. John the Evangelist on Abbeydale Road South. Two interior views - 1, 2. SK 322 810. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.

Broomhill
Methodist Church. Bill Henderson.
St. Mark. Peter Fowler. Interior view, Aidan McRae Thomson.

Chapeltown
Christian Community Church on Lound Side was seen by Streetview in 2019. SK 3548 9634. Link.
The site of the demolished Primitive Methodist Chapel on Station Road.
David advises that it was built by 1890. It stood in line with the building to the right. David Regan (2022).
The former St. John the Baptist, now being used as offices. SK 3517 9659.
David Regan (2022). Grade II listed, wherein it's dated to 1859-60, with an extension in 1900-1, and closing in 2003.
The Methodist Church on Nether Ley Avenue and Burncross Road. SK 3537 9625.
David Regan (2022). Link.
Chapeltown Cemetery on Burncross Road, at Burncross, has two Mortuary Chapels - Anglican at the left, Nonconformist at the right. SK 3470 9630.
David Regan (2022).
The site of the demolished Primitive Methodist Chapel. It's dated here (where there is a photo) to 1865, with demolition in 1992.
However, another source says there was a P.M. chapel here of 1851 - whether this was the same building, or a predecessor on the same or on a different site is so far unclear. David Regan (2022).
Restoration Assembly (Redeemed Christian Church of God) meets in Chapeltown Library on Nether Ley Avenue and Burncross Road. It was seen by Streetview in 2017.
The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Lound Side, now residential.
SK 3514 9666. Its grade II listing dates it to 1866. David Regan (2022).
Zion Wesleyan Reform Chapel has a date-stone for 1865 - and just below it can be seen another stone saying Re-built 1992. SK 3522 9630. Both David Regan (2022).

Dore
Christ Church on Church Lane - consecrated 1829. Two interior views - 1, 2. all Mike Berrell (2011). An illustration of the preceding Dore Chapel in 1785 is reproduced by kind permission of the church. SK 308 811. Photo Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Dore and Totley Christian Fellowship meet at the Church Hall on Townhead Lane. SK 306 812. Mike Berrell (2011).
Dore and Totley U.R.C. on Totley Brook Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. SK 317 805. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Dore Methodist Church (1860), on High Street. "Reconstructed and enlarged in 1962". Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. SK 308 812. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.

Ecclesfield
Ecclesfield Mission Hall (Pentecostal) on Townend Road. Another view, and an interior view. It's labelled on older maps as Methodist New Connexion. SK 3511 9399. All Alan Taylor. The latest Streetview (2020) shows that it's now in residential use, as The Old Chapel.
Parts of Ecclesfield Priory survive in Ecclesfield Hall, just to the north of St. Mary, at SK 3530 9429. Nothing is visible of it on Streetview, but its Wikipedia entry has a photo and an old illustration. Grade II* listed.
The former Independent Chapel is so labelled on maps as far back as 1855, and is now a private residence. This source labels it as a Quaker Meeting House, though its appearance is not what one might expect. SK 3508 9395. Alan Taylor. Another view,
David Regan (2022).
The former Methodist Church on High Street was originally Wesleyan. An old photo is available here, where it's dated to 1898 to the early years of the present century. It also says it had a predecessor of 1818 - a map of 1855 implies it was on the same site, or close to it. SK 3552 9387. David Regan (2022).
A map of 1923 shows a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Nether Lane, at circa SK 3583 9452. Not indicated on a map of 1906, it was no longer marked as a place of worship in 1951. Later demolished, housing now stands on its site - seen by Streetview in 2021. This source gives dates for its registers for the years 1877-1939, which, if accurate, implies that either the Ordnance Survey was in error in not showing it earlier, or they had another building elsewhere, or
the congregation met in a secular building.
St. Mary the Virgin. SK 3530 9422. Michael Bourne. The altar and window, and screen, both Kenneth Paver. Two more views - 1, 2, both David Regan (2022). Link. Grade I listed. The War Memorial in the churchyard is separately listed as grade II.

Fulwood.
Christ Church at Fulwood. Peter Fowler. Link.
Mayfield Wesleyan Reform Church on Mayfield Road. Gerard Charmley (2012). Link.
Old Chapel (Unitarian, 1729). Link. Grade II listed - link. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Grenoside
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Wheel Lane.
David Regan (2022).
Two former Primitive Methodist Chapels survive on Main Street. The older one (nearer the camera) pre-dates a map of 1890, the other is of 1904. SK 3312 9409. David Regan (2022). Link.
St. Mark on Main Street. Wikipedia dates it to 1884. Another view. SK 3319 9394. Both David Regan (2022). Link.
T
he present Methodist Church is on Norfolk Hill, and was originally Wesleyan. An old photo can be seen here. SK 3332 9412. David Regan (2022). Link.
Mention is made here of Grenoside Congregational  Church, but I can't find any trace of it on old maps, or any other on-line references to it. David Regan wonders if it's the same as Ecclesfield Independent Chapel.

Handsworth
City of Refuge Foursquare Church on Handsworth Road.
Circa SK 4049 8671. David Regan (2022). Link.
Grace Church is on Richmond Road and Bramley Lane, and was seen by Streetview in 2019, when it appears to have been named Sheffield Christian Life Centre. SK 4086 8617. Link.
The Methodist Church on Handsworth Road was originally Wesleyan. A Wesleyan Chapel is indicated on this site on a map surveyed no later than 1851. The visible stonework appears to have plenty of age, so does it date back to then? SK 4071 8642. David Regan (2022). Link.
St. Joseph (R.C.) on St. Joseph's Road. SK 4101 8635. David Regan (2022). Link.
Grade II listed.
St. Mary.
Another view. SK 4105 8622. Both David Regan (2022). Link. Grade II listed. For other listed churchyard features, see here.

High Green
The Methodist Church, originally Wesleyan, is on Wortley Road. It can be dated from this source to no later than 1864. SK 3408 9758. David Regan (2022). Link.
South-west of the village, at Near Potter Hill, stood a Methodist New Connexion Chapel. Pre-dating a map of 1893, it was still standing in 1929, as United Methodist. A photo of it is available here, where it's dated to 1838. Its site (the grassed area) was seen by Streetview in 2008. SK 3323 9721. This source discusses its predecessor (there is a photo), later used as a Sunday School, which stood across the road, and dates it to 1815-circa 1960.
A Primitive Methodist Chapel used to stand set back from Wortley Road. It's dated here to 1877, and the last available O.S. map to show it, as a church, was published in 1947. A bungalow and its rear garden now stand on the site. SK 3361 9772. David Regan (2022).
St. Mary (R.C.).
SK 3424 9760. David Regan (2022). Link1. Link2, which has a useful history.
St. Saviour, at Mortomley. Its grade II listing dates it to 1872. SK 3434 9750.
David Regan (2022). Link.
Westwood Rows was a settlement consisting of two rows of housing less than half a mile to the north-east of High Green. All signs of the settlement have gone, replaced by park-land. Two places of worship are recorded. First was a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, at SK 3419 9824 - a photo can be seen here. The other was a Mission Church, a tin tabernacle, which can be seen here. It also says that it stood south-east of the top row, so it's perhaps the Sunday School marked on an O.S. map of 1893 at SK 3436 9818.

Millhouses
Holy Trinity on Grove Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. SK 334 835. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Millhouses Methodist Church (1935/6) on Millhouses Lane. Interior view. SK 335 834. Mike Berrell (2011). Link.

Mosborough
Elim Church on Queen Street. ca. SK 424 811. Steve Bulman (2010). Link.
Mosborough Methodist Church on Chapel Street. SK 424 809.  Link. Another building round the corner can easily be mistaken for another church, but it was in fact the Sunday School for the Methodists. Both Steve Bulman (2010).
St. Mark. Another view. SK 426 810. Both Steve Bulman.
Salvation Army on Queen Street, originally the Queen Street Methodist Chapel. Steve Bulman (2010).

Sharrow
Cemetery Chapel (now derelict) in General Cemetery on Cemetery Road, Sharrow Head. SK 343 859. Mike Berrell (2011).
St. Andrew (Anglican and Methodist) on Psalter Lane, Sharrow. SK 339 856. Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Salvation Army Citadel on Psalter Lane. SK 340 860. Mike Berrell (2011).

Totley
All Saints (1923) on Totley Hall Lane. SK 308 797. Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Chapel of the English Martyrs (R.C.) on The Crescent. Two interior views - 1, 2. SK 313 800. All Mike Berrell (2011).
Totley Rise Methodist Church on Grove Road. Totley. Two interior views - 1, 2. SK 317 803. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.

Woodhouse.

 

 

 
 

Home

04 March 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details