The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Reading, Berkshire

Reading on Wikipedia.

Churches in Earley, Tilehurst.
 

Abu Bakr Masjid Trust on Oxford Road, under construction. SU 698 735. Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

All Nations Church (Elim Pentecostal) on Berkeley Avenue. This was previously St. Saviour. Colleen Thatcher. Interior view, from an old postcard in Judy Flynn's Collection.

All Saints on Downshire Square. From an old postcard in Judy Flynn's Collection.

Bridge Hall on Oxford Road - is this a former church? Another view. SU 703 734. Both Mehmood Naqshbandi. Janet Gimber's researches have shown that this building - though always shown as "Hall" or "Bridge Hall" on maps, was at one time a Brethren Meeting Hall.

The former Broad Street United Reformed Chapel, originally the Independent Chapel, dating from 1707, though the frontage is from 1892. Now a bookshop. SU 714 734. Nick Hopton. Link.

Central Jamme Mosque (aka Bangladesh Association Greater Reading), on Waylen Street. SU 709 733. Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain. Link.

Christ Church on Christchurch Road. Interior view (posted in 1908). Both from old postcards in Judy Flynn's Collection.

Emmanuel Methodist Church on Oxford Road. SU 695 736. Mehmood Naqshbandi.

Greyfriars Church. Graeme Harvey.

Holy Trinity (on Oxford Road), undergoing renovation. Another view. SU 707 734. Both Mehmood Naqshbandi. Two old postcard views - exterior and interior, both from Judy Flynn's Collection. Link.

Minster Church of St. Mary the Virgin on St. Mary's Butts. Graeme Harvey. Old postcard views of the exterior and interior, plus an old illustration from 1802 reproduced on a postcard, all from Judy Flynn's Collection. Link.

Park Church (U.R.C.). Graeme Harvey. Link.

The remains of Reading Abbey, which was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. John the Evangelist. The Gatheouse. Both from old postcards in Judy Flynn's Collection. Link.

St. Bartholomew on London Road. Interior view. Both from old postcards in Judy Flynn's Collection.

St. Giles on Southampton Street. Another view. Some walls remain from the C13, with a Perpendicular tower, the rest mostly of 1875. SU 716 729. Both Nick Hopton. An old postcard view, from Judy Flynn's Collection. The photo for the postcard is early, as the spire was re-built in 1873 by J.P. St. Aubyn. Interior view, also from Judy Flynn's Collection. Grade II listed.

St. James (R.C.) on Abbot's Walk. Interior view. Both from old postcards in Judy Flynn's Collection.

St. John the Evangelist (interior view) on Watlington Street. From an old postcard in Judy Flynn's Collection.

St. Joseph's Convent Chapel (interior view) on Upper Redlands Road, which is now College Chapel. From an old postcard in Judy Flynn's Collection.

St. Laurence. Graeme Harvey. Two interior views - 1, 2, both from old postcards in Judy Flynn's Collection. Link.

St. Luke on Erleigh Road. Interior view. Both from old postcards in Judy Flynn's Collection. Link.

St. Mark (interior view) on Cranbury Road. From an old postcard in Judy Flynn's Collection.

St. Mary (Episcopalian) on Castle Street originally dates from 1798. Interior view. No e-mails about the "ghost" please - it's a result of a slow exposure and a cleaning lady!! Both SU 713 732. Nick Hopton. Link.

St. Michael on New Lane Hill, Churchend. SU 673 728. From an old postcard, franked 1912, in Judy Flynn's Collection. Link. Grade II listed.

St. Paul on Whitley Wood Lane, dating from the 1930's. Ian advises that the church is reputedly a "pre-fab", made in London, and originally destined for abroad. Another view. Both Ian Miller.

St. Saviour - see All Nations Church, above.

St. William of York (R.C., 1906) on Upper Redlands Road. Nick Hopton (2011).

Wycliffe Baptist Church on Kings Road. From an old postcard in Judy Flynn's Collection. Link.

Zoar Strict Baptist Chapel on South Street. SU 720 731. Nick Hopton (2011).

Earley
Mount Zion (Assembly of God, Pentecostal - as seen by Streetview in 2021) off Wokingham Road, is a former Primitive Methodist Chapel of 1887-1926 (source). SU 7434 7215. Link.
Our Lady of Peace and Blessed Dominic Berberi (R.C.) on Wokingham Road. Graeme Harvey.
St. Peter. Its grade II listing dates it to circa 1844. SU 7453 7216. Graeme Harvey. Link.

Tilehurst
A Primitive Methodist Chapel used to stand at the junction of Oxford Road and Beecham Road, at SU 6915 7382. The modern building on the site today was seen by Streetview in 2020. Link, has a photo of the chapel.
St. George, on St. George's Road. SU 6904 7367. From an old postcard, franked 1909, in Judy Flynn's Collection. Link. Grade II listed.


 

 

 
 

Home

15 August 2022

Steve Bulman

Contact Details