The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan
All that remains of Bethania Welsh Presbyterian Church is a demolition site, with some rubble. © Gerard Charmley.
Bethel Welsh Independent Chapel. © Gerard Charmley.
Cemetery Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2010).
The former Christ Church Congregational Church on Stanwell Road was demolished in 1989. From Gerard Charmley's Collection.
Church of the Holy Nativity (CiW). © Gerard Charmley.
Elfed Avenue United Church - Welsh Presbyterian and U.R.C. © Gerard Charmley.
Holy Trinity Church. © Gerard Charmley.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Plassey Street stands on the site of Sardis Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, the congregation moving to what is now the United Church on Elfed Avenue. © Gerard Charmley.
Plassey Street Gospel Hall stands opposite the Kingdom Hall. © Gerard Charmley.
St. Paul's Church and Anglican Mission was formerly Arcott Street Methodist Chapel, which burned down in 1905 - the congregation then sold the burned-out chapel to the Anglicans, who re-fronted and repaired the building. The now homeless congregation built the Albert Road Church (see above). © Gerard Charmley.
Salvation Army Citadel, on Plassey Street, stands on the site of Penuel Welsh Baptist Church. © Gerard Charmley.
Stanwell Road Baptist Church (1896). © Gerard Charmley.
Tabernacle Baptist Church was re-built in 1885, and has recently been renovated and modernised. © Gerard Charmley.
Although previously listed as a possible former Chapel, Janet Gimber has advised that it seems never to have been a church, and indeed spent a lot of years as a billiards Hall! © Gerard Charmley.
01 June 2016
© Steve Bulman