The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former Bethabara Baptist Church on Glanrafon Road and Chapel Street, long converted to secular use. Dating from 1853, it was replaced by Ebenezer Baptist on Wrexham Street (see below) in about 1876. It has had a number of uses since, but at present is a Chapel of Rest. © David Rowe. The church used an open-air baptistry, built in the seventeenth century. © David Rowe.
Bethel Welsh Congregational Church on New Street. Interior view. SJ 235 637. Both © Mike Berrell (2009). The old chapel, reproduced here (photo by Mike Berrell) from Llawlyfr Ymwelwyr - a history of Welsh Congregational Chapels in North Wales, by kind permission of the chapel.
Bethesda Welsh Presbyterian Church on New Street. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. It has a fine-looking organ. SJ 236 637. All © Mike Berrell (2009).
The site of the first Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in Mold is marked by a plaque. The other records the birth there of Rev. John Blackwell. © David Rowe.
A souvenir brochure form the opening of Cathrina House (Toc H) on Victoria Terrace in 1968. The organisation is no longer present in Mold, and the status of the building today is not known. From David Rowe's Collection.
The demolished Cemetery Chapel (1877), which stood on Victoria Road. Demolished in 1992, a car park now stands on the site. © David Rowe.
Chapel of Rest on Chester Street. SJ 21 641. © Mike Berrell (2009).
The demolished Ebeneser Presbyterian Chapel (1853) on Chester Road, Pentre. A plant from Bethesda on New Street (see above), it was demolished in the 1980's. © David Rowe.
Ebenezer Baptist Chapel on Glanrafon Road. SJ 237 636. © Mike Berrell (2009). Link.
The former Ebenezer Baptist Chapel on Wrexham Street (for sale in 2009). SJ 239 638. © Mike Berrell (2009).
The former Emmanuel Full Gospel Mission on Wrexham Street, beside the Leeswood Arms pub. The photo dates to around 1958. The building survives, has been extensively refurbished, and is now in commercial use. From David Rowe's Collection.
The demolished English Presbyterian Chapel, which stood on the corner of Tyddyn Street and Chester Street. Built in the 1890's, it was demolished in 1973, and the site was re-developed for commercial use. The congregation now worship at the Tyddyn Street Church (see entry below).
Father's House Evangelical Church - services held in Gwernymynydd Village Hall on Ruthin Road. SJ 219 627. © Mike Berrell (2009). Link.
The demolished Jesuit Training College. Previously a gaol complex, it was taken over by French Jesuits circa 1880. A news report from The Graphic of 4 September 1880 says - "FRENCH JESUITS AT MOLD - The building which has hitherto been known as Flintshire County Gaol was last week formally handed over to the Rev. Francis Xavier Pailloux(?), who with two priests and two lay-brothers has gone into residence there, renaming the place "St. Germanus House. Extensive alterations are to be made to the building, which is designed to become the home of a monastic community, numbering about one hundred members." It was subsequently sold onto two orders of nuns before being sold privately in 1928. Most of the buildings, including the chapel, were subsequently demolished, and the few reamining were converted to residential use. From David Rowe's Collection.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Denbigh Road. SJ 234 647. © Mike Berrell (2009).
King's Christian Centre on Bailey Hill, formerly Pendref Chapel. SJ 240 644. © Mike Berrell (2009). Link.
Methodist Church (1869, extended 1980) on Wrexham Street. Interior view. SJ 238 637. Both © Mike Berrell (2009). Another view in an old photograph in David Rowe's Collection. David advises that this was an English language Methodist Church.
Former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1872) on Chester Street, which has been in secular use, but is now unused. SJ 240 641. © Mike Berrell (2009). David Rowe has advised in 2018 that his has been demolished.
St. David (R.C., consecrated 1966) on St. David's Lane. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. SJ 242 642. All © Mike Berrell (2009). This photo shows the church during construction, with the predecessor church at the left. © David Rowe, who also advises that the adjacent convent also has a chapel.
St. John's Welsh Anglican Church, on King Street. Opened in 1878, a steeple was intended (see architects illustration), but never added. It was finally closed in the 1950's, and thereafter used as the church hall for St. Mary. Photos from David Rowe's Collection.
St. Mary the Virgin on High Street. SJ 237 642. From an old postcard, Steve Bulman's Collection. The following are all © Mike Berrell (2009). A modern view. Two interior views - 1, 2. War Memorial, with the tiling representing the trenches. Link.
A former Salvation Army meeting place. It was built as the Market Hall, and is now a bank. SJ 237 639. © Rob Kinnon-Brettle (2012). General Booth spoke at a rally here, circa 1890. From David Rowe's Collection.
Salvation Army on Wrexham Street. SJ 238 638. © Mike Berrell (2009).
Society of Friends in Grosvenor Road on Grosvenor Street. SJ 240 638. © Mike Berrell (2009).
The former Tabernacle Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Nercwys Road. Dating from the late 19th century, it was listed as Tabernacle Broncoed in a 1905 document. It was closed, and subsequently sold (in 1995) and is now in commercial use. © David Rowe, who advised in 2018 that his has now been converted to residential use.
Tyddyn Street Church (Presbyterian Church of Wales United Reformed Church), on Tyddyn Street. Two interior views - 1, 2. SJ 241 638. Both © Mike Berrell (2009). Opened in 1864, it originally had a spire. Blown down in a storm, it was never replaced. It was recorded in 1905 as the Westminster Road English Congregational Church, and locally as the Free Church. Since Mike took his photos, the interior has been completely re-modelled, split horizontally to create a first floor. Interior view, © David Rowe.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (English) on Wrexham Street. Dating from 1869, it was extended in 1980. The photo (from David Rowe's Collection) is from 1901.
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details