The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Merthyr Tydfil, Merthyr Tydfil                              

Merthyr Tydfil on Wikipedia.
 

Although previously listed as Bethesda Independent Church, Steve Brewer has advised that the photo shows the Rechabite Hall. Bethesda stood a little way down the road, on the opposite side. A charming mosaic showing the chapel in its heyday. Gerard Charmley.

Capel Gellideg (Independent) at Cyfartha. Gerard Charmley.

Christ Church (CiW) at Georgetown. Gerard Charmley.

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Gerard advises that they have had a presence in Merthyr since the late 19th century. Gerard Charmley.

Elim Church meets in the Jerusalem Baptist Chapel. Gerard Charmley.

High Street Baptist Chapel. Gerard Charmley. Link.

Hope Chapel (Welsh Presbyterian). Gerard Charmley.

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses has a complicated history. Starting out as a Wesleyan Reform Church, it was next Salem Chapel, then a Congregational Church. Gerard Charmley.

The former Kirkhouse Memorial Church (CiW Mission church) at Georgetown is now used an entertainment venue. Gerard Charmley.

The ruined Miners' Hall was originally Shiloh Wesleyan Chapel, and is supposed to have been designed by Brunel. It dates from the mid-1850's, and built by the railway company because an older chapel* had to be demolished to make way for the railway station. Another view. An old photo can be seen here, showing the corner tower which was removed in 1921, as part of its re-purposing as the Miners' Hall. A 2016 newspaper article here has some more history, including that its time as the Miners' Hall ended on or before 1987, when it became a nightclub. A fire seriously damaged the building in 1992, and the local councils recent attempts to find the owner(s) may be a prelude to compulsory purchase and repair. However, as recently as May 2018 (Streetview), no remedial action is apparent. SO 0505 0625. Both Gerard Charmley. Grade II listed.
* This stood at about
SO 0500 0615. The station buildings built by  Brunel can be seen here in an old photo of the 1970's.

Park Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley. Link.

Penuel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (1860). Gerard Charmley.

R.O.C.K. Foundation Church (Charismatic) meets in the former Mount Moriah Primitive Methodist Chapel. It was also at one point the Catholic Hall. Additional information from Steve Brewer. Gerard Charmley.

St. David (or the New Church, 1846-7, CiW). SO 0495 0625. Gerard Charmley. A 2018 Streetview. Grade II listed.

St. Mary (R.C.). Gerard Charmley.

St. Tydfil (or The Old Church, CiW). Another view, which also shows a memorial to the pioneers of the Welsh coal trade. Gerard Charmley. Another view, John Balaam (2015). Link.

St. Tydfil's Well Church (CiW). Gerard Charmley. Link.

Salvation Army Citadel was previously Morlais Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley.

Seion Welsh Baptist Church. Another view. SO 0523 0586. Both Gerard Charmley. Grade II listed.

Soar Welsh Independent Church is accessed via a narrow alley. Another view. Both Gerard Charmley.

Spiritualist Church on Upper Thomas Street, formerly Unitarian. First built in 1821, it was re-built in 1901 (ref. Coflein entry). Another view. SO 0512 0621. Both Gerard Charmley. As Howard Richter has advised, the May 2918 Streetview shows it as being closed and sold off.

The former Synagogue on Church Street dates from 1872-5. Another view. SO 0519 0625. Both Gerard Charmley. Grade II listing, which says that it is "the oldest remaining Synagogue building in Wales".

Tabernacle Baptist Church (1890's) on Brecon Road replaced an earlier (and larger), now-demolished chapel. Gerard Charmley.

Temperance Hall was included in these listings because it was believed to have been Zion Chapel at one time. Steve Brewer advises that this was never the case. SO 0500 0617. Gerard Charmley.

The former Wesley Chapel on High street is now closed. Gerard explains that the building is larger than was originally intended, because the minister went onto the site one night and moved the builder's markers to increase its size!! Gerard Charmley.

Williams Memorial English Congregational Chapel (1906) at Penydarren, now demolished. Steve Brewer (1983). Steve Brewer (1983).

U.R.C. on Market Square was originally Congregational. Gerard Charmley.

 

 

 

 
 

Home

17 March 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details