The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Masham, North Yorkshire
The former Baptist Chapel on Thorpe Road, now in residential use. There is a small date-stone above the main door for 1828, but this is misleading as it seems to have been moved here from its predecessor, which stood about 100 yards to the north at about SE 2239 8055, and which shows on the O.S. map of 1853. The present building can only be dated from map evidence (at the moment), which shows that it was built between the 1853 and 1892 (when it shows as "Baptist Chapel (General)". Its date of closure is also uncertain, though it may be about 1966, the date of the last documents held in the West Yorkshire Archive Service, and listed on the National Archives website. Another view. SE 2245 8045. All © Howard Richter (2018).
The handsome Methodist Church on Park Street, built as Wesleyan in about 1890. Another view. SE 2236 8059. Link. Grade II listed. It was preceded by an earlier chapel which stood nearby at SE 2230 8062. Both © Howard Richter (2018).
The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, on Quaker Terrace. It pre-dates the O.S. map of 1892. For sale in 2018, it's not presently apparent exactly when it went out of use. Another view. SE 2237 8087. It was succeeded by the former Primitive Methodist Chapel on Silver Street. Map evidence indicates that it was built between 1892 and 1912. Unfortunately, all of the date-stones and foundation stones have been defaced. It seems to have still been active at least until 1940, but was closed in 1946. It was subsequently used as a Post Office. SE 2245 8087. All © Howard Richter (2018).
The site of the demolished St. Columba (R.C.), which stood almost opposite the Baptist Church (see above) to the left of the access road on what is now a patch of lawn shown in Howard's photo. Opened in 1910, it was demolished relatively recently, as it still shows on a 2011 Google Streetview, here. An earlier Streetview, of 2009, shows a "For Sale" notice, implying closure by then. SE 2250 8045. © Howard Richter (2018).
St. Mary. SE 2267 8067. © Bill Henderson. Another view, © Alan Blacklock. Interior view, © James Murray. A view showing the stump of an Anglo-Saxon cross, © James Murray. A closer view of the cross, two more of the interior - 1, 2, the font, and a fine monument, all © Chris Stafford (2015). Link (scroll down to about half way). Grade II* listed.
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details