The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Maesteg, Bridgend           

Maesteg on Wikipedia.


Bethania Welsh Independent Chapel, dated 1908. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Bethlehem Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Canaan Welsh Independent Chapel, dated 1903. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Carmel Independent Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

The former Catholic Church is now a social club. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Central Church, originally Bethel English Baptist Chapel (1859). Gervase N. E. Charmley. Link.

Previously listed as a possible former chapel (dated 1905), my appreciation to David J. Lewis for advising that it was in fact the church hall (known locally as the Parish Hall) for St. Michael. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Ebenezer Gospel Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

The former English Congregational Church on Castle Street. Another view. Both Geoff Thomas.

Hope Church. David J. Lewis advises that it was previously a cinema, and for which Geoff Thomas has supplied the name as The Regal. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Maesteg Christian Centre, originally Zion English Baptist Chapel (1884). Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Peniel Evangelical Church, previously Tabernacle Baptist Church (1856)

St. David. Previously in the "Unknown" section, thanks to Janet Gimber for positively identifying this church as being in Maesteg, on Talbot St. However, she was less than 100% certain of the dedication, and it was tentatively identified as St. David.
One-time resident Geoff Thomas has confirmed that the church is St. David, and the large building to the right is the former Miner's Institute. He has also advised that the Maesteg Council web-site has an identical photo, which the website dates to 1880. Heavily processed to produce a reasonable image, this postcard was posted in 1905. From Steve Bulman's Collection.
David John has further added that the church is known in Welsh as Eglwys Dewi Sant. The full name of the miners' Institute is the Colonel North Memorial Hall, the name commemorating the contribution of Colonel John North "The Nitrate King" to the district. David dates the postcard to circa 1903. A modern view.
Gervase N. E. Charmley.

St. Michael, known locally as the "Cathedral of Maesteg". Another view. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Our Lady and St. Patrick (R.C.) on Monica Street. Thanks to David J. Lewis for correcting the dedication. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Salvation Army. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Tabor Calvinistic Methodist Church is closed. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Identified by Howard Richter, this former chapel on Alfred Street is now used as a garage. It dates from circa 1857, but appears to have ceased as a church before 1919, when the OS map of that year described it as "Hall". He also offers that tantalising possibility that this may be the long-running mystery church on the Unknowns page - the entry beginning Jonathan Gould has found an old photo of a group of young men...... Gervase N. E. Charmley.

The former Zoar Independent Chapel, now a chapel of rest. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

 

 

 
 

Home

07 July 2016

Steve Bulman

Contact Details