The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former Adult Deaf and Dumb Institute (originally Chapel for the Deaf) on Park Way and Selborne Street, Princes Park. Its grade II listing dates it to 1887. Today it's in use as a community centre. Another view. SJ 3597 8912. Both © Janet Gimber (2019). Link.
All Saints, Childwall Lane, Childwall. SJ 414 890. © Don Tomkinson. Link.
All Saints, on Broad Green Road, Stoneycroft. SJ 396 908. © Don Tomkinson.
All Saints on Hale Road, Speke. SJ 430 834. © Rob Brettle. Another view, © Martin Richter (2011). Link.
Anfield Cemetery Chapel (1863) on Priory Road, Anfield. SJ 365 938. © Mike Berrell (2014).
Blessed Sacrament Shrine R.C. Church (since 1972), on Dawson Street, which is a former cinema. Circa SJ 347 904. © Janet Gimber (2019). Link.
Chinese Gospel Church on Great George Square. SJ 3501 8941. © Steve Bulman (2019). Link.
The Deutsche Kircke on Bedford Street South was very well defended by vegetation when Janet visited, making it all but impossible to photograph. Janet also advises that Liverpool Latin American Church meet (or have met) here. The Streetview van passed by in winter 2015, and managed a clearer image. The 25" O.S. map of 1910 labels a Presb. Church on the same site. © Janet Gimber (2019). Link (in German).
The site of the former Hospital Chapel on Upper Hampton Street, where the modern brick building now stands. The earliest map I can find which shows it is of 1954-7, and the most recent available, of 1990. © Janet Gimber (2019).
Life Changers Empowering Church, off Selborne Street. SJ 3591 8918. © Janet Gimber (2019). Link.
Liverpool Anglican Cathedral (1904-78) on St. James' Mount, dedicated as the Cathedral Church of Christ. SJ 3538 8937. © Dave Westrap. Four additional views - 1, 2, 3, 4, all © John Bowdler (2013). Six interior views - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, all © Steve Bulman (2019). Link. Grade I listed.
Holy Trinity at Walton Breck. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection.
The former Methodist Central Hall on Renshaw Street is now an entertainment venue. Its grade II listing dates it to 1904-5. Another view. SJ 3516 9014. Both © Janet Gimber (2019).
Our Lady and St. Nicholas on Chapel Street. Interior view. Both © John Balaam (2015). Link. Grade II listed.
Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette (R.C.), on Eldon Street. SJ 344 916. © Don Tomkinson.
Roman Catholic Cathedral, dedicated as the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King. SJ 356 901. © Dave Westrap. Link.
St. Bernadette (R.C.) on Heath Road. SJ 407 858. © Don Tomkinson. Adam McCurdy has advised that this church has now closed. Link.
St. Bride (1829), on Percy Street and Huskisson Street. Another view. SJ 3566 8938. Both © Janet Gimber (2019). Link, with a good history page here. Grade II* listed.
St. George, on Heyworth St. SJ 357 919. © Don Tomkinson. Link.
St. James in the City on Upper Parliament Street and St. James Street. Its grade II* listing dates it to 1774-5, with chancel added in 1900. Declared redundant in 1974, it was unused for many years, becoming increasingly derelict. But it came back into use in 2010, and is gradually being restored. The church website has more details here. SJ 3527 8905. © Janet Gimber (2019).
St. Luke on Berry Street and Leece Street. Commonly referred to as The Bombed Out Church, it has been left as a memorial to the victims of WWII. Another view. SJ 3526 8987. Both © Janet Gimber (2019). Link. News story. Grade II* listed.
The site of St. Mark, accidentally photographed when taking a photo of the gateway to Chinatown on Nelson Street. The church stood on Upper Duke Street, where the three storey brick building now stands, just to the right of the narrow white building. There's a good history here, with illustrations and an old photo of the church. It also provides a building date of 1802-3, with closure in 1908 and demolition in 1923. SJ 3522 8968. A 2019 Streetview.
St. Michael in the City. Circa SJ 350 896. © Janet Gimber (2019). Link.
St. Peter, which stood on Church Street, held its final service in September 1919, and was demolished in 1922. It was originally Liverpool's parish church, built in 1700, becoming the Anglican Pro-cathedral in 1880. SJ 3466 9025. From an old postcard in Mick Finney's Collection. Its site is marked by a cross in the pavement outside the Keys Cross shopping arcade, supposedly where the high altar stood. © Janet Gimber (2019). Link - includes a photo of the remarkably soot-blackened building.
The former St. Peter (R.C.) on Seel Street is now in commercial use, but Janet advises that services are still held on a Sunday, with a gospel choir - "Sunday Gospel Brunch". SJ 3501 8989. © Janet Gimber (2019).
St. Peter and St. Paul (R.C.) on Upper Parliament Street. This was originally built as Temple of Humanity in 1913 (see here for a little background, an interior photo from the time, and a murder story). The building was soon taken over as Third Church of Christ Scientist , and the building retains a stone proclaiming this. This closed some years ago, and the present congregation was established by 2015. Another view. SJ 3556 8922. All © Janet Gimber (2019). Grade II listed.
St. Philip Neri (R.C.) on Catherine Street and Blackburne Place. Its grade II* listing dates it to 1914-20. Another view. SJ 3568 8960. Both © Steve Bulman (2019). Link.
St. Vincent de Paul (R.C.) on St. James' Street, an E.W. Pugin church of 1856-7 (the grade II* listing the source for this). SJ 3500 8935. © Steve Bulman (2019). Another view, © Janet Gimber (2019). Link.
Unitarian Church on Hope Street. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details