The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Baptist Church on South Street. SX 919 925. © Andrew Ross.
Christ Church on Salem Place. SX 928 932. © Andrew Ross.
Emmanuel Church - building commenced in 1897. Western Way/Okehampton Road. SX 911 923. © Andrew Ross.
George's Meeting House, on South St., formerly a Non-Conformist Chapel, now a pub. SX 921 923. © Andrew Ross.
Hebrew Congregation Synagogue. SX 918 925. © Andrew Ross.
Holy Trinity Church. Previously of uncertain status, thanks to David Cornforth for identifying this as a church, and for advising of his website. On South Street, this church is now the White Ensign Club. SX 921 923. © Andrew Ross.Another view. © Graeme Harvey. Link.
Part of Providence Chapel on Northernhay (an extension of 1894). The chapel which was opened by the Plymouth Brethren in 1839, became Bible Christian by 1851. This photo was taken in 1983, when the building was being used as a print works. © Ray Harrington-Vail.
The River Dream Centre, on Northernhay Street (1894).SX 918 928 © Andrew Ross. Link. My appreciation to Janet Gimber, whose researches have revealed the following - 1894 is the date of an extension to the Chapel. This extension is visible in the photo, as a smaller building beyond the 5-bayed chapel. The main chapel itself was built in 1839 as a Plymouth Brethren Chapel, and a comment in Pevsner shows that it was Elim Providence Chapel at some point as well.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church. SX 920 924. © Andrew Ross.
St. Andrew at Exwick, consecrated in 1842. SX 908 936. © Andrew Ross.
St. Anne's Orthodox Church (on Old Tiverton Road and Black Boy Road). SX 928 932. Andrew thinks this used to be a chapel, and that it looks older than the date given above the gate (1927). © Andrew Ross. It is indeed older than the date, which may be the date for the gate itself. Janet Gimber has found its interesting history here.
St. Edmund - a ruined bridge chapel. Another view, and another. SX 916 921. A plaque inside the tower reads "It became a Parish Church, was rebuilt 1833-4, damaged by fire in 1969, and made safe by partial demolition in 1975.” All © Andrew Ross. Link1. Link2.
A little fabric remains of St. Mary Major on South Street, which stands on the site of older church buildings, including a Saxon minster. See here for a good history, and old photos. SX 920 924. © Paul E. Barnett (2016).
St. Mary Steps. SX 920 920. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. A modern view. © Alan Blacklock. A close-up of the clock, showing the date of its refurbishment (1980). © John Balaam (2013). Link.
St. Michael. SX 915 927. © Andrew Ross.
St. Sidwell. SX 924 930. Not a pretty building. Andrew thinks it might have re-built after WWII bombing, as the graveyard looks older. © Andrew Ross. As this old postcard proves, Andrew's suspicions are spot-on. From Reg Dosell's Collection.
St. Thomas on Cowick St. SX 912 917. © Andrew Ross.
St. Thomas (Methodist). SX 909 917. © Andrew Ross.
St. Thomas of Canterbury. This church is in the process of being sold off for re-development. SX 907 916. © Andrew Ross.
Salvation Army Hall. SX 921 921. © Graeme Harvey.
Southernhay U.R.C. SX 924 927. © Andrew Ross.
The Chapel of the Holy Trinity and Maison Dieu on Magdalen Street, belonging to Wynards Almshouses. SX 923 923. © Andrew Ross.
Possible old chapel, now a bed shop. SX 912 919. © Andrew Ross.
A possible former chapel at SX 919 925. © Paul E. Barnett (2016).
15 August 2019
© Steve Bulman